How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Help!! All my dashlights are out!

Few days before my tranny broke all of my interior lights went out. Including the gauges, A/C control, etc... It smelled like a burnt resistor and I'm thinking it's the dimmer resistor of the interior lights that scorched? Where is this resistor? My guess would be it's inside the indicator switch? Since there's the control for interior lights dimmer.. Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for the interior lights? I have one diagram but can't quite figure out what's what in that one...
Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Help!! All my dashlights are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JreM View Post
Few days before my tranny broke all of my interior lights went out. Including the gauges, A/C control, etc... It smelled like a burnt resistor and I'm thinking it's the dimmer resistor of the interior lights that scorched? Where is this resistor? My guess would be it's inside the indicator switch? Since there's the control for interior lights dimmer.. Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for the interior lights? I have one diagram but can't quite figure out what's what in that one...
I believe there is a module that controls all time and dimming functions on the SVX interior lighting. A burnt out fusible link can cause the symptoms you are describing, id check for that real quick, since it looks like multiple systems were affected.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
I believe there is a module that controls all time and dimming functions on the SVX interior lighting. A burnt out fusible link can cause the symptoms you are describing, id check for that real quick, since it looks like multiple systems were affected.
I've already checked all fuses (both the hood box and drivers kick panel) and they are all in order. And I might have been a little unclear on that.. when the door is open, the interior light is on and when I shut the door it dims out as it should. So doesn't this mean that the timer at least works? I'm really hoping it's not that serious.. But since the car wont be running in few months I'll at least have time to check it out.

Just to be clear: Everything works as it should until I turn the ignition key to ON. Now it should light the gauges and other interior lights but it doesn't. All gauges themselves do work but only the illumination of buttons etc don't.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:29 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I believe the module which you are looking for is behind the glove box, adjacent to the security module. I had one go out on my Claret some time ago. If I recall correctly, this problem could spell out a faulty timer unit.