Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 PM

Registered SVX
subwoofer wiring

has anyone tried wiring an amp to the stock unit?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 PM

Registered SVX
Re: subwoofer wiring

Not on this car but I have done it before, using a high input converter off the rear speaker wires goes into a rca low input Run a amp turn on either to ignition or to ignition then switch.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 PM

Registered SVX

ya i guess that could work.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:53 AM

I have; did it with my 96. Used an Alpine 5 channel amp, to power upgraded speakers and a 6 inch bazooka tube (which sat on the floor in back). Think it had around 40 watts RMS to each speaker and around 100 watts RMS to the tube. The sound was simply amazaing - one of the best sounding systems I've ever heard.

And just to clarify - you dont wire the head unit to the amp; you wire the speakers to the amp - in other words, you dont need to access the back of the head unit. For each speaker, the wire going from the head unit to the speaker instead goes to the amplifier, with a return wire from the amp to the speaker. Dont remember if each speaker GROUND wire goes to the amp or not (it may depend on the amp) but I'm inclined to think they dont.

I installed the amp on the back of one of the rear seats. Ran all wires under the plastic sill plates and under the rear seat (which you'd want to remove to make this easier). That way, if I wanted to acces the amp I just folded down the seat, but otherwise it was out of the way.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Not on this car but I have done it before, using a high input converter off the rear speaker wires goes into a rca low input Run a amp turn on either to ignition or to ignition then switch.
This way works, ive done it also, but keep in mind the bass may cut out as its being fed signal from only one channel, and it has to step down line voltage to convert to the RCA, so the gain can make your sound distort or muffle depending on where the volume is set. A deck with RCA outs would be the best option, if youre willing to put forth the effort. Anyways.... adding a deck capable of playing MP3's is far better than switching out cd's, you can have 99 songs on a disc.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
This way works, ive done it also, but keep in mind the bass may cut out as its being fed signal from only one channel, and it has to step down line voltage to convert to the RCA, so the gain can make your sound distort or muffle depending on where the volume is set. A deck with RCA outs would be the best option, if youre willing to put forth the effort. Anyways.... adding a deck capable of playing MP3's is far better than switching out cd's, you can have 99 songs on a disc.
I agree in this car I am waiting to get a double din touch screen, debating if I should go with a nav unit included.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:55 PM

Registered SVX

Ya i plan to get a double din as well but for now i want to test the boxes that i make. i just bought the line in/out converter so when i have the box done it should work.

How did you hook up the amp signal cable?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Registered SVX

It would appear that you have to source a mono signal from stereo speaker outputs, as no other means is available.

Everything depends on the input sensitivity and impedance of the amplifier involved. It is also presumed that the existing unit has one side of the speaker outputs connected to ground, i.e. rather than both being above ground, as can be the case with high output systems.

A mono audio output can be tapped off existing speaker outputs by connecting a resistor to each, with these then connected together to provide the desired mono output. It can be expected that the input sensitivity of the amplifier will allow sufficient series resistance, such that there will be no significant cross speaker stereo interference.

I can only guess regarding the resistance required and experiment will be necessary. I would start with with around 100 ohms and use 1 watt resistors. The largest physical size will make them easier to connect with a screw connector block or whatever. If the sub amp. is overloaded, increase the resistances. If it has insufficient gain, reduce the resistances, but do not go below say 20 ohms, otherwise you might overload the outputs in the stock system.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Registered SVX

whats an alternate way to wire the REM cable aside from using the ignition switch? i tried sharing with the fuse box but the fuses blow
Old 03-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

You mean the remote wire for the amp? Just wire it to the existing plug for the cd player.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 03-25-2010, 05:41 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
You mean the remote wire for the amp? Just wire it to the existing plug for the cd player.
cd player doesnt work and i'm not pulling that cage out again unless i'm putting in a new unit lol.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
I tried sharing with the fuse box but the fuses blow
The remote wire shouldnt be pulling enough current to blow a fuse, it actually shouldnt really pull any current at all.

All you have to do is use a fuse tap, and you can pick whatever fuse in the block thats live when the ignition switch is switched to the accessories position.

You can try tapping the underhood box and tap from the higher amperage circuits.... but id check into why the remote wire is pulling so much current.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:12 PM

Registered SVX

maybe to turn the little light on? lol i dunno i'm gonna try doing a straight hookup to the battery power with a switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
The remote wire shouldnt be pulling enough current to blow a fuse, it actually shouldnt really pull any current at all.

All you have to do is use a fuse tap, and you can pick whatever fuse in the block thats live when the ignition switch is switched to the accessories position.

You can try tapping the underhood box and tap from the higher amperage circuits.... but id check into why the remote wire is pulling so much current.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:51 PM

Registered SVX

I assume you know how to wire a amp, that it has 2 power slots, one main from battery, and one that effectively switches it on. if you try wiring the main battery to a low amp circuit it will blow the fuse.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:51 PM

Registered SVX

ya i do i'm talking about the REM/signal cable to turn it on, the power and ground are in and normally i'd just hook the REM cable to the deck i dont wanna mess with the the wiring back there.

I just want to have another alternative to using the deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
I assume you know how to wire a amp, that it has 2 power slots, one main from battery, and one that effectively switches it on. if you try wiring the main battery to a low amp circuit it will blow the fuse.