How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Registered SVX
Newbie here- Need help! Brakes and Timing

Ok- so I bought one of these wonderful cars- been sitting for at least 2 years, and came from New York (salt damage)- and I am trying to make it road worthy again. This is not my first rodeo with subarus, just gut rid of a wonderful Legacy to purchase this beauty. The problem I am having (at this time) is finding a rebuild kit for the front calipers, and wanting to know if anyone has a close up of the crankshaft timing gear. Two owners ago, the crank pulley came off while driving (bad timing job-didn't tighten properly) and has had a wobble ever since. I have tried a new pulley, but still wobbles-I think it may have eaten into the timing gear and now will not sit properly. Any help will be appreciated, and if anyone has any brake parts cheap-let me know!

If it was easy, the previous owner would have done it...story of my life...

1992 Silver-trying to bring back to life!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Newbie here- Need help! Brakes and Timing

For the brake calipers, just go to Autozone for loaded front rebuilt calipers. They are only about $90 and then a $90 core charge on top that you get back when you return your old ones.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileycaver View Post
Ok- and wanting to know if anyone has a close up of the crankshaft timing gear. Two owners ago, the crank pulley came off while driving (bad timing job-didn't tighten properly) and has had a wobble ever since. I have tried a new pulley, but still wobbles-I think it may have eaten into the timing gear and now will not sit properly. Any help will be appreciated, and if anyone has any brake parts cheap-let me know!
If the pulley was loose for long enouth to fall off. The end of the crank, the key, and the belt pulley, are sure to be damaged.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:41 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileycaver View Post
Ok- so I bought one of these wonderful cars- been sitting for at least 2 years, and came from New York (salt damage)- and I am trying to make it road worthy again. This is not my first rodeo with subarus, just gut rid of a wonderful Legacy to purchase this beauty. The problem I am having (at this time) is finding a rebuild kit for the front calipers, and wanting to know if anyone has a close up of the crankshaft timing gear. Two owners ago, the crank pulley came off while driving (bad timing job-didn't tighten properly) and has had a wobble ever since. I have tried a new pulley, but still wobbles-I think it may have eaten into the timing gear and now will not sit properly. Any help will be appreciated, and if anyone has any brake parts cheap-let me know!
If you want something really neat on the calipers, contact gsodonis for that.

HERE is an example, more colors are available.

and EARL if you are seeing this thread, here is an answer to your thread also earlier.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:14 AM

Registered SVX

I can tell the key needs to be replaced, but the crankshaft LOOKS to be undamaged and the keyway is fine. But, after careful cleaning and inspection, the front timing ear is trash. From previous subys it should have a small pointer on the front-like the top of an arrow (I think, please let me know if I am mistaken), but it is completely eaten away. But GOOD news! The engine internals are pristine, no gunk or buildup at all! Anyone have a set of valve cover gaskets cheap?

Last edited by smileycaver; 02-23-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Front caliper rebuild kit.

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=262-A Whoops! Link to actual part will not work unless you establish a free account. But it is a good parts site. The caliper rebuild part # is 26297PA010 with price of $29.92 for both fronts. Does not include brake pad anti-rattle clips.

Another online site is www.1stsubaruparts.com and a member or two on here work at subaru parts places and can give good prices. You can do a search for Liberty Subaru or maybe someone else will come up and give you an addy or name/phone.

It's item #10 in the site and includes kit for both front wheels if you choose to rebuild yourself.

The recommendation for a rebuilt caliper is a good one and besides Autozone you can find them for sale on Ebay.

If you rebuild yourself, you might do a search on here for some pointers on installing the rubber part over the piston. Its a beatch to figure out yourself but very simple following some of the procedures developed by members here.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 02-23-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the info! Those PN#'s really help!