Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2010, 02:03 PM

Registered SVX
FWD fuse

Ok sorry if this is a repost but in my search I did not find anything.

As I think I said before I am getting a trans code 24, Solenoid C I put my car up on jackstands, all 4 corners. I put in a fuse for FWD and started the car and put it in gear and all 4 wheels spin.
I have tried checking the fuse slot and I am unsure exactly what I should be checking for though, any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:24 PM

Registered SVX
Re: FWD fuse

maybe the FWD system only gives the rear maybe 10%? power? since their off the ground it would be effortless to spin
Old 02-20-2010, 04:29 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Ok sorry if this is a repost but in my search I did not find anything.

As I think I said before I am getting a trans code 24, Solenoid C I put my car up on jackstands, all 4 corners. I put in a fuse for FWD and started the car and put it in gear and all 4 wheels spin.
I have tried checking the fuse slot and I am unsure exactly what I should be checking for though, any suggestions?
It would appear that solenoid "C" is not working properly when the fuse is in place due to being faulty, and centre clutch pressure remains and therefore drive to the rear.

However, a faulty transmission resistor or associated wiring can throw the same code. Check carefully before blaming the solenoid.

Also be aware that even with all correct and the fuse in place, there is likely to be a slight drive via some friction within the centre clutch. Apply a little braking to the rear wheels with a lever under the tyres to test for the torque which is on tap. It could be slight and only just enough to turn the axles. Be careful.

The "C" solenoid can be replaced without removing the transmission.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Just to add to Trevors correct recomendations, I would just check to make sure the fuse is seeing 12v on both sides of it. Is the light on in the dash?

Tom
Old 02-20-2010, 05:52 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It would appear that solenoid "C" is not working properly when the fuse is in place due to being faulty, and centre clutch pressure remains and therefore drive to the rear.

However, a faulty transmission resistor or associated wiring can throw the same code. Check carefully before blaming the solenoid.

Also be aware that even with all correct and the fuse in place, there is likely to be a slight drive via some friction within the centre clutch. Apply a little braking to the rear wheels with a lever under the tyres to test for the torque which is on tap. It could be slight and only just enough to turn the axles. Be careful.

The "C" solenoid can be replaced without removing the transmission.
Thanks for the information. I am thinking the wiring could be at fault.
The previous owner told me he had the transmission rebuilt 3 years ago and the front diff replaced last year. Now this guy did not seem like the type of guy that understands cars but he told me that after he got the car back from getting the front diff replaced he always noticed a binding when turning tight.
I do not think he knows if the trans code was there though.
So that leaves me with the conclusion that the shop that put in the diff may have not connected the wiring to solenoid C.
This is something else I tried with the fuse. I checked power, none on either prong of the fuse. I attempted to put power to one prong, via the battery and got a straight to ground type of spark. I attempted to put power to the other prong and I still got power at the rear wheels.
And another question I heard that when you put the fuse in there should be a light on the dash for FWD I do not seem to have that light, it does not light up as a check bulb when key is first turned on nor when I messed with the fuse.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

the shop likely did indeed connect the solenoid... Sounds like they pinched the wire though... Causing the short and throwing a code.

Unless the fuse is a gnd line... which it may very well be... I am not sure

Tom
Old 02-21-2010, 02:17 AM

Registered SVX

One side of the switch fuse is grounded. Hence the spark. N.B. Never again apply power to a control circuit. You will have to hope that you have not damaged the TCU. I think you will be OK.

The SF grounds a signal to/from the TCU. There is no direct connection with solenoid "C". You will have to check out the solenoid and wiring.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

If the FWD light doesn't come on when the FWD fuse is installed, then it's not in FWD mode. Try the attached PDF, it's got the complete transmission troubleshooting chart in it :-)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SVX transmission troubleshooting.pdf (713.5 KB, 184 views)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 02-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
If the FWD light doesn't come on when the FWD fuse is installed, then it's not in FWD mode. Try the attached PDF, it's got the complete transmission troubleshooting chart in it :-)
Thank you, I will.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Registered SVX

OK some more information, I am unsure of what to make of it though.

As per the info I checked the voltage at the fuse location with the engine off trans in D I got 6.31v

Last edited by 92 SVX; 02-21-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM

Registered SVX

With the fuse in I get 0.01V
Old 02-21-2010, 12:12 PM

Registered SVX

Well after a bit more experimenting and testing I think the FWD fuse now makes it FWD but I do not have a light on the dash for it. When up in the air there must be some going back to the rear as putting my foot on the tire did not stop it. Taking it for a test drive I put the rears on pavement and the fronts on ice and it still takes off quick but seems to spin some, I turned around tight with all wheels on pavement did not have so much bind but still seemed like some.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Well after a bit more experimenting and testing I think the FWD fuse now makes it FWD but I do not have a light on the dash for it. When up in the air there must be some going back to the rear as putting my foot on the tire did not stop it. Taking it for a test drive I put the rears on pavement and the fronts on ice and it still takes off quick but seems to spin some, I turned around tight with all wheels on pavement did not have so much bind but still seemed like some.
The FWD light does not appear to be included within the ignition on test circuit. If it has never come on, the bulb may be faulty.

However, if you are still registering code 24, something is wrong within the solenoid "C" circuit.

You now mention binding, i.e. did not have so much bind. Without you providing full and exact information you can not expect proper assistance. Perhaps you should start again from the beginning.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Just to add as well, with the FWD fuse in, the rear wheels should receive no power at all. So this would signify a fault if with the fuse in, the rear wheels still turn when it is on a lift.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
The FWD light does not appear to be included within the ignition on test circuit. If it has never come on, the bulb may be faulty.

However, if you are still registering code 24, something is wrong within the solenoid "C" circuit.

You now mention binding, i.e. did not have so much bind. Without you providing full and exact information you can not expect proper assistance. Perhaps you should start again from the beginning.
Yes I should I have information on different threads.

Ok here is the situation. I bought this car almost 3 weeks ago. When I bought it the previous owner told me that on tight turns it seems to bind sometimes. He also told me that 3 years ago he had the transmission rebuilt and 1 year ago the front diff was replaced. It has only been since the diff was replaced that it has been binding on tight turns he told me.
After finding this forum and reading everything I could I found that the power light blinking at start up indicates transmission codes so I read the codes and found that code 24 comes up. Solenoid C.
I do not notice binding every time I turn tight. After putting in the FWD fuse and testing today I still feel some bind but its difficult to describe. I have heard people describe the bind as if you have a 4 wheel drive truck locked in 4 and the wheels almost hop. I have never had that bad of bind. the most it has been is a feeling that the back wants to slide.