Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 02-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Re: 6 Speed Buildup/Versions Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
the reduction is to help keep driveshaft revs lower... Great idea IMHO

Tom
This is true
Old 02-19-2010, 08:12 PM

Registered SVX

Couple of things I found out

1) 05 onwards use larger axles, so although the SVX auto stubs will go in, you'll need to swap out the oil seals to the early 6 speed seals.

2) I had the Legacy ratios which were the same 1st to 4th, with the slightly taller 5th and 6th...didn't seem to make that much difference on the road, but for road cars, I would probably recommend it

3) The 05 or later STI's changed ratios from 2nd to 6th. They were very different...much wider spaced. Check out the following as an example

http://sti.subaru.com.au/showroom/im...pecifications/

For my money, and for a road car, I'd reckon the lastest 6 speed out of the Legacy's might be a better option. Ratios even taller again, great for cruising, and nowhere near as heavy as the current STI 6 speed. Check out ther ratios (compared to the above link) here

http://www.subaru.com.au/models/libe...fications/all/

And before anybody asks, it's behind the current spec 2.5 turbo with 195kw and 300nm of torque. More than enough for an SVX.

Just my two bobs worth.

M
Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
All 6MT's have the same ratios for 1-4. The JDM STi has the tightest 5th and 6th, followed by the USDM STi, and the JDM Forester STi has the tallest of all (best for highway cruising). The Legacy GT Spec B's 6MT has the same ratios as the Forester STi, but does not have a limited slip front diff.

IMHO, for the SVX the ultimate is the Forester STi's tranny. However, if you're looking to build a grand touring beast and not as concerned for the ultimate in performance, the Spec B's tranny will do you very well. The Forester 6MT is almost impossible to find though. Since I've known of this I've only seen one drivetrain imported. The Spec B's tranny can be had brand new for something like $3200.
Good info..

I wish my Legacy GT were a spec B, although I did kind of think of them as a bit too $$$$ over the GT Limited at the time. Before the '10 Legacy showed how things could go so wrong.

But rather than finding a Forester STI gearbox... one would think that it would be easier to swap a front LSD into a Spec B gearbox for the same effect. Maybe an appropriate configuration Torsen, to match the rear differential's Torsen...

Both my Legacy and SVX have LSDs in the rear diffs, but open fronts... is there a big advantage for a front LSD in snow and such, vs. any drawbacks for dry tarmac driving, cruising drag, or steering resistance?

My previous vehicle was a 4x4 ranger, with no LSDs, and a transfer case, and it fought steering like crazy in the dry, if it was in 4WD, and HAD to be dis-engaged if the pavement was anywhere close to dry pavement...

I like the DCCD stuff, and the robust nature of the STI/SpecB gearbox, and the torsen rear diff (wife's Miata has one, too.)... but I would be interested to hear comparisons between an open front diff, and a front LSD equipped car, and which might be better suited toward SVX's GT role, not really an ice-racer/rally stage car.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt View Post
For my money, and for a road car, I'd reckon the lastest 6 speed out of the Legacy's might be a better option. Ratios even taller again, great for cruising, and nowhere near as heavy as the current STI 6 speed. Check out ther ratios (compared to the above link) here

http://www.subaru.com.au/models/libe...fications/all/

And before anybody asks, it's behind the current spec 2.5 turbo with 195kw and 300nm of torque. More than enough for an SVX.

Just my two bobs worth.

M

Just FYI... the '10 Legacy GT's 6MT... is a 5MT + another gear. from what I've read, the 5MT was a 4MT+1 before...

50/50 AWD. No VTD, No DCCD.

And it is cable shifted, not linkage shifted... not sure what implications that will have to retro-fit, and the shift action on the '10 is reported to be less direct.

And don't use the 05-07 Legacy GT clutch. 06+ WRX 5MT single-mass flywheel, and aftermarket clutch, or substitute an aftermarket flywheel as well. The OE 05-07 Legacy GT clutch is not that great for holding power, feel, or wear... and slipping even just a little bit makes the most horrible smell. That is something I do have experience with.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

open front diff versus LSD...

LSD helps counter the oversteer that the 6mt offers when cornering under throttle or heavy engine braking by using the understeer inherent with an LSD front diff...

As for the rear diff. It could be better, when I lift a wheel when cornering the LSD is not that great and I still have issues powering out w/o spinning the lifted wheel a lot

Tom
Old 02-20-2010, 01:00 AM
Mr Soob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt View Post
Couple of things I found out

1) 05 onwards use larger axles, so although the SVX auto stubs will go in, you'll need to swap out the oil seals to the early 6 speed seals.
I was also going to point this out.

Depends on which axle stubs you use as to what you need to do - with mine, I needed to use SVX seals in the STi front diff, however I could have put a 1mm collar on the stubs themselves.

(I can't remember which stubs I have though!!)
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 02-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Thank you for your inputs guys, that was really helpful. Few more questions though, how can I make sure the tranny has front LSD? I need to know how can I check that out myself without "asking" the seller, any noticeable details?
And the second question, does the 2008 STi tranny fit our engine? I am pretty sure I have settled on the 2004, but this question is just for info, just in case.

Thanks in advance.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Few more questions though, how can I make sure the tranny has front LSD? I need to know how can I check that out myself without "asking" the seller, any noticeable details?
Read this and be happy . Tons of good info.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...r+decoder+ring

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-20-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Jeff has some great information in that thread, we used to post a ton of stuff like that. He is one of those sick guys who likes to stay up all night pulling PNs out of Japanese catalogs.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:

Excellent post Chris, but he didn't mention if the US trannies had LSD

You can see that they are mentioned in the Japan/Eur ones.

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1772793
and
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1489974

BAM!
PS best choice of 6mt's for us IMO is the 07' USDM STi 6mt.

Oh Tom did you ever get the DCCD all hooked up and working in your car BTW? I know you had an issue trying to get it set up after you first put it in.
04'/05' run a different FD ratio and front to rear slip bias than the 06'/07' BTW. Which is why I found an 05' specificly for my Impreza EZ30R turbo project, but I'd also personally look for a 07' for which ever SVX present or later I would swap.
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 02-21-2010, 05:35 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf View Post
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1772793
and
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1489974

BAM!
PS best choice of 6mt's for us IMO is the 07' USDM STi 6mt.

Oh Tom did you ever get the DCCD all hooked up and working in your car BTW? I know you had an issue trying to get it set up after you first put it in.
04'/05' run a different FD ratio and front to rear slip bias than the 06'/07' BTW. Which is why I found an 05' specificly for my Impreza EZ30R turbo project, but I'd also personally look for a 07' for which ever SVX present or later I would swap.
Great info Gaddis! Thank you for the links.
But I am still convinced the best setup for me is the 04/05.

You have a lot of highways in the US, while we have a lot of mountains over here. Well it is mixed, there are some nice highways but a lot of traffic jams. I think the 3.9 final ratio will suit me the best.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:14 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Great info Gaddis! Thank you for the links.
But I am still convinced the best setup for me is the 04/05.

You have a lot of highways in the US, while we have a lot of mountains over here. Well it is mixed, there are some nice highways but a lot of traffic jams. I think the 3.9 final ratio will suit me the best.
Sounds good. I mostly just speaking my opinion from a general average SVX. But yeah the 3.9 and the 35/65 F/R split is why I chose it for my Impreza.
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 02-21-2010, 01:43 PM

I am not sure why someone posted you can't run the 07+ transmission with out connecting the DCCD controller. I have done that on a couple cars, including my own and it is fine. Actually With the DCCD Pro controller you can set it to that any time you want. If you have the base model rolling it to the rear applies no voltage to the controller. The automatic ones you can do the same, but they do not apply voltage to the differential until the conditions are such that it is setup to do so.

The main thing you will notice witht he 07+ is that it is a little harder to break the rear end loose without the DCCD controler, however once it does break loose the rear end will slide as long as you keep power to it. I happen to have the 08 transmission in my car as I do not need the speedometer output, and I don't have to have the tranny cooler. All of our customers who have driven the 07+ love the gearing better than any of the previous year.

Not saying one is right or wrong, just trying to add a little more information to the discussion.

For those interested in the DCCD Pro controller we really like them. We used to run the Neetronics controller, but once we moved to the Spiider we never went back. For a basic street/track car there is really very little fault to be found with the Spiider DCCD Pro unit. If you are running an STi dash you might consider the top model, but functinoally the middle model is the same, just missing the ability to control the display on the dash. The base model might work for someone wanting to save a few coins, but the automatic is pretty nice and worth the extra $100 or so.

Jarrad
Old 02-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Wow, this thread came out better than I expected. I love feedback from people who have tried all 6 speed STi versions than rather reading theoretical specs.

So Jarrad do you prefer the 07 over the 04?