Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 02-10-2010, 04:51 PM

Valvetrain

Well im getting to the tear down stage of my engine for the twin turbo build.

I have decided to go with two journal bearing T3/T4 57trim Garret turbos with .63AR hot sides. That being said I would like to rev a little higher to give me a most usable power band.

I am thinking about BC stuff as TOM recommended before but what I would like to know if where will this move my available redline too. If it doesnt move it past the 8000rpm mark then I dont think the cost of the valve train upgrade will be worth it considering we can safely rev to 7400rpm stock.

If anyone has any idea if you could shoot it my way that would be awesome!

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 02-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Valvetrain

Camshaft profiles will change where you make your peak power, not valves.

The valves merely allow for more lift and oversized valves will allow for surface area.

Tom
Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Camshaft profiles will change where you make your peak power, not valves.

The valves merely allow for more lift and oversized valves will allow for surface area.

Tom
But I want to also be able to increase my MAX RPM, is this possible?

I know that my WRX valvetrain (valves, sprins, retainers) were only safe till 7000rpm. When I upgraded to supertech dual springs, titainum retainers and nitrate valves, my tuner then raised my redline to 8400rpm

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Maniac modifier

So you are talking about staving off valve float with stiffer springs??

It all depends on the hardware you chose... If it is good for the profile you want on a 4cyl it should be known that the RPM transfers directly. So in short, try to match the hardware you use to the profile you desire

Tom
Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Thats the answer I was looking for Thanks Tom

Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

Shall we go more indepth about what kind of gains there are from the different Valvetrain upgrades and mods? Poticularly things like the converting to Solid from hydrolic, springs, valves, cams, and porting. I think my build is currently gonna just lean heavy on the valvetrain mods to carry the increase I'm looking for with the standalone, MAP sensor, and larger injectors to keep up on the rest.
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 02-11-2010, 07:37 AM

Registered SVX

Converting from solid to hydraulic? I am not sure if you meant that the other way around. Our lifters are hydraulic lash adjusters. They fill with oil.

I would highly suggest keeping this set-up because solid lifters must be adjusted extremely often. To adjust them you have to get to them. This means the engine comes out. Big pain in the butt to do every couple months.

The other popular option are roller lifters but there is simply not enough space in our design to accomodate the roller.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Converting from solid to hydraulic? I am not sure if you meant that the other way around. Our lifters are hydraulic lash adjusters. They fill with oil.

I would highly suggest keeping this set-up because solid lifters must be adjusted extremely often. To adjust them you have to get to them. This means the engine comes out. Big pain in the butt to do every couple months.

The other popular option are roller lifters but there is simply not enough space in our design to accomodate the roller.
He said convert to solid...

My 98 RS cam with solid lifters, as do all modern DOHC subarus. Valve lash adjustment has to be done... pretty much never.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post

Subaru suggests every 100kmiles... When this time comes, even then the clearances are off very little if at all

Converting is a necessity if you want a high RPM engine... The hydroulics bleed out

Tom
Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

what would be the benefit of increasing the rpm limits and going with the solids?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Subaru suggests every 100kmiles... When this time comes, even then the clearances are off very little if at all

Converting is a necessity if you want a high RPM engine... The hydroulics bleed out

Tom
Plus, the hydraulic springs allow very little increase in lift, if that is important to you
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 02-13-2010, 08:53 AM

Registered SVX

Oops, I misread that and thought he said converting FROM solid. Sorry about that. It is what I get for hurriedly checking in and posting on my break at work.

It would still be nice to have room for roller lifters though...

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: