How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Re: Need some help from SVX PCM gurus

well going to have to wait until tomorrow. can't for the life of me find the package of little low watt dash bulbs I have to make up a CEL indicator.

did repin the JECS connectors for the proper wires but have now way to properly read/see them. My DVOM doesn't react fast enough to read the voltage directly.

poh well
Old 11-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxersix View Post
well going to have to wait until tomorrow. can't for the life of me find the package of little low watt dash bulbs I have to make up a CEL indicator.

did repin the JECS connectors for the proper wires but have now way to properly read/see them. My DVOM doesn't react fast enough to read the voltage directly.

poh well
How about a test light?

Tom
Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Not to ask a dumb question, but you set the cam timing to the notches and not the arrows right? Any missed cam time will soak the plugs on a no-start..... its happened to me

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Good point, I made the assumption that since he has the FSM he would have checked it

Tom
Old 11-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Well he did mention the cam timing was right on..... I just know inexperience with the EG33 may cause one to set the timing with the arrows on the cams instead of the proper marks.....

Not that I ever did that myself at any rate

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

The only test light I have uses a large watt bulb and illuminates too slow. Everyhting else is digital and itself doens't react fast enough(need an oldschool analog DVOM) It's difficult to decipher the pulses in either route.. I have a box of dash cluster bulbs, some of which are from the actual SVX that should work better. I'll dig for them tomorrow, I know they're in the shop somewhere.

It's also backwards now. Normally when the CEL is on in the dash, the PCM is sending no voltage to the cluster. So when I hard wire in an indicator lamp to the actual PCM output wire, the light is ON when there is actually no fault and when it goes out there's a fault.

The cam timing was to the notches yes. None of that has been touched since the motor last ran in the test stand(a few weeks prior to me starting this whole swap) but I checked it out when I was in under the covers looking at the water pump and inspecting the belts condition. It's a MOFO to get to the belt now for even a simple inspection. I had to notch the slim fan housing to clear the OBD2 crank trigger on the front of the harmonic balancer

Will check some more tomorrow. I may possibly be on the hunt for various sensors though(CAS, MAF, etc)
Old 11-27-2009, 10:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
It's also backwards now. Normally when the CEL is on in the dash, the PCM is sending no voltage to the cluster. So when I hard wire in an indicator lamp to the actual PCM output wire, the light is ON when there is actually no fault and when it goes out there's a fault.
I would guess that you may have your lamp grounded and are expecting a B+ fault signal.

The CEL is normally energised with the ignition switched on, to become illuminated when grounded, via the the solid state switch within the PCM/ECU/MPFI unit.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I would guess that you may have your lamp grounded and are expecting a B+ fault signal.

The CEL is normally energised with the ignition switched on, to become illuminated when grounded, via the the solid state switch within the PCM/ECU/MPFI unit.

So B62 #19 is an energizes ground. Makes complete sense. I was going by the FSM pinout chart

Also means I can just use the piezo speaker on my DVOM. No need for a light

Thanks Trevor
Old 11-28-2009, 11:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
So B62 #19 is an energizes ground. Makes complete sense. I was going by the FSM pinout chart

Also means I can just use the piezo speaker on my DVOM. No need for a light

Thanks Trevor
Boxer, you are thinking breed.

Common and cheap magnetic headphones or a singe earpiece, with a capacitor in series to block the DC component, would also be ideal.

In my boyhood days, because of the war and financial constraints, it was impossible to have a multi meter on hand, much less a 'scope. I got by quite well, using different lamps of various ratings and the headphones I had acquired, for use in experimenting with xtal sets and basic radios. Memories ----.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Boxer, you are thinking breed.

Common and cheap magnetic headphones or a singe earpiece, with a capacitor in series to block the DC component, would also be ideal.

In my boyhood days, because of the war and financial constraints, it was impossible to have a multi meter on hand, much less a 'scope. I got by quite well, using different lamps of various ratings and the headphones I had acquired, for use in experimenting with xtal sets and basic radios. Memories ----.
I'm a tinker'er. kinda runs in my family, but I learned alot in my youth(i'm 30 now) from my uncle who's much that same as I(or is it the other way around :lol)

you were 100% right though, clipped the DVOM to the that pin and set for continuity check and it beeped sweet morse code. I went and hooked up a simple dash light(found them!) to verify the signal at the DVOM and it was spot on.

the only codes I recieved though were #'s 14-19......all six injectors. Reason being was that i had all six of them unhooked at the clips so they were not flooding the cylinders with fuel with all the excessive cranking that I was subjecting this poor thing too.

However I found another conundrum here. wire B61#10............black/yellow stripe wire is supposed to go to the starter according to the FSM wiring diagram, and gets a 10-14v signal apon cranking. I do not currently have that wire hooked up, so my thinking is that the SVX PCM doesn't even know that I'm actually trying to start the motor as all that is being done through the original WRX car hanrness/keyswitch.

So I found a web page that listed all the codes and one of them says "No signal from crank angle sensor 1 for more than 3 seconds after start switch on." If that's the case I couldn't even get that code to pop up even if it was a problem as the PCM is not registering a crank signal and doesn't know when to start looking for faults other than unconnected sensors.

so my big question is does that black/yellow stripe wire come directly from the starter on the SVX, or some other "key-start" circuit in the car? The FSM diagram just shows it terminating with the word "starter" there after.

I assume a jumper wire from the ignition switch key start terminal would suffice for a signal correct? I just don't want to cook any guts of the JECS hardware

getting closer.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

you were 100% right though, clipped the DVOM to the that pin and set for continuity check and it beeped sweet morse code. I went and hooked up a simple dash light(found them!) to verify the signal at the DVOM and it was spot on.

However I found another conundrum here. wire B61#10............black/yellow stripe wire is supposed to go to the starter according to the FSM wiring diagram, and gets a 10-14v signal apon cranking. I do not currently have that wire hooked up, so my thinking is that the SVX PCM doesn't even know that I'm actually trying to start the motor as all that is being done through the original WRX car hanrness/keyswitch.

so my big question is does that black/yellow stripe wire come directly from the starter on the SVX, or some other "key-start" circuit in the car? The FSM diagram just shows it terminating with the word "starter" there after.

I assume a jumper wire from the ignition switch key start terminal would suffice for a signal correct? I just don't want to cook any guts of the JECS hardware getting closer.
The black yellow wire goes directly to the starter solenoid, so that it is normally, at virtual ground potential, to become B+ during starting. The wire will carry a signal to ECU/PCM so as to facilitate adjustments during starting.

It could very well be that an open circuit here, could prevent the engine from starting. You probably have arrived.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Much indeed Trevor, I have arrived!

It's alive!

<evil voice>

"MUWAHAHAHAHHHAHHA!"

</evil voice>

that wire was the missing link. ran an simple alligator clipped jumper from the ign switch key-start terminal to that wire, hit the key and it immediately fired up and went straight to a smooth idle.

Oh and my sweet trick crank trigger works.......I have an OE working tack through the EJ20 CPS on the front trigger, and no CEL in the dash. OBD2 codes frozen, ready monitors permanently active, and I get an inspection sticker. this car is going to be a fricken hoot in the snow in a couple weeks.

Exhaust, tidy up wiring, hydro ebrake/bleed, interior = done

Guys, thanks again for the tips and help. wouldn't have gotten it figured out this quick w/o ya! It's always fun getting the brains together and working out the bugs
Old 11-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Excellent! Now, start checking on how it cools at 4k+ rpms
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Excellent! Now, start checking on how it cools at 4k+ rpms
-Bill
hahah

Wrong thread but I'll post anyway...... I have a simple rig setup to test the SVX/sti pump and WRX pump for flow output, flow characteristics, etc, etc and allow simply impeller modifications and impeller speed changes and see what is happening. Runs off a 5hp briggs and stratton gas engine

All I need are one of each pump(sti/svx and WRX) and I'll get right on that. I honeslty can't afford ot buy new pumps soley for testing purposes, so I'm looking for ones that people have taken off from a belt change and are throwing out.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
hahah

Wrong thread but I'll post anyway...... I have a simple rig setup to test the SVX/sti pump and WRX pump for flow output, flow characteristics, etc, etc and allow simply impeller modifications and impeller speed changes and see what is happening. Runs off a 5hp briggs and stratton gas engine

All I need are one of each pump(sti/svx and WRX) and I'll get right on that. I honeslty can't afford ot buy new pumps soley for testing purposes, so I'm looking for ones that people have taken off from a belt change and are throwing out.
we definitely don't want you melting down that nice EG33 now that you've got it running

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker