How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 PM
The Molinator

PoWeR Steering.. .

Now.. My power steering is acting up! It started squeeking a couple months ago.. . I got rid of most of that by tightening (overtightening?) my power steering pump belt.

NOW.. It's jerking when I try to turn.. especially when cold.. and especially when turning quickly.. . Jerking, like freezing and releasing, when you try to turn. There is a little squeeking.. but almost negligible.

I've replaced both the pump and the rack at different times years ago, but I don't remember it ever doing quite this.. ?

WHAT IS IT.. m Please.. .? Jim

P.S. BTW.. The ATF seems to stay topped off (full) .. ?
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:11 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: PoWeR Steering.. .

Mine had similar issues last winter without the squeeking. On the advice of a member here I liberally sprayed the steering knuckles in the engine compartment with WD-40 and voila, problem solved. I latter lubricated them with a more permanent grease.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
Now.. My power steering is acting up! It started squeeking a couple months ago.. . I got rid of most of that by tightening (overtightening?) my power steering pump belt.

NOW.. It's jerking when I try to turn.. especially when cold.. and especially when turning quickly.. . Jerking, like freezing and releasing, when you try to turn. There is a little squeeking.. but almost negligible.

I've replaced both the pump and the rack at different times years ago, but I don't remember it ever doing quite this.. ?

WHAT IS IT.. m Please.. .? Jim

P.S. BTW.. The ATF seems to stay topped off (full) .. ?
Have a look at the crank pulley Jim, it may be parting company.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I'm having this same issue after having replaced the pulley under it.
It wasn't squealing or squeaking before the pulley seized and I had replaced it but now it is. I've tightened it, loosened it... nothing, it still squeals occasionally. (cold or below 60ish) It goes away after warming up...

Any suggestions? I'm going to try the WD-40 thing mentioned here but I have a feeling that's not going to do any good, I could be wrong though.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
I'm having this same issue after having replaced the pulley under it.
It wasn't squealing or squeaking before the pulley seized and I had replaced it but now it is. I've tightened it, loosened it... nothing, it still squeals occasionally. (cold or below 60ish) It goes away after warming up...

Any suggestions? I'm going to try the WD-40 thing mentioned here but I have a feeling that's not going to do any good, I could be wrong though.
If youre sure the belt is tight, do to an auto parts store and buy "belt conditioner"..... its a spray you apply to the belts that makes them very tacky and will eliminate slippage. If you spray some on your fingertips and rub them together, you will see why this stuff works.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:40 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Mine had similar issues last winter without the squeeking. On the advice of a member here I liberally sprayed the steering knuckles in the engine compartment with WD-40 and voila, problem solved. I latter lubricated them with a more permanent grease.
Sorry?.. . Do you mean the tie-rod ends? What are the steering knuckles?

Yes, my belt is tight.. at least! And, I used the belt conditioner also??

Crank pulley (Aluminum).. . Hmmmmm? I'll check.. LOOKS GOOD!.. ?

OK, added more belt dressing.. . BETTER .. less squeaking. Could it be the type of belt I used? I got the high-tech .. more expensive belt.. I think about $16 to $18.. as opposed to the cheaper ones.. $9 to $11. I think the composition of the sturdier belt is different.. Would that make it slip more possibly?? How do you know you have enough (or too much) belt tension?

I'll have to try in the morning .. to see if it still jerks and/or squeaks.. . ?

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 10-23-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:54 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

The steering knuckles are on the steering shaft after it comes through the firewall from the steering wheel. There are 2 of them.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:53 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

After WD40ing the **** out of it, it went away and all was well, for a day.
Colder day following, squeal again. So, I did it again... so far it's stayed away... but I noticed a 'chucking' when turning the wheel when it first starts up... instead of squealing now it just seems to turn hard.

The power steering pulley itself (not idler) seems sort of wobbly or bent and seems to be locking up (causing the squeal before), keeping the belt from turning freely as it should.

I thought there was a bearing I could replace in there but for the life of me I can't seem to find it on subaruparts.com. Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist but that doesn't seem right either.

So my question is, can I get/replace the bearings on the power steering pump itself OR do you think the pump is finally on it's legs and I need to seek other options in getting it replaced?

I swear I'm 'this close' to having an entirely rebuilt SVX on the inside
Old 10-27-2009, 05:44 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

The pump is quite easy to rebuild. There's a member who offers the service but I can't remember their name right now.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:50 PM

You mentioned that you had replaced it within the year. If was store bought, is it still under warranty? If so I would make it their problem. Just a thought.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:45 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

just in case you need one http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 10-28-2009, 11:01 PM

In my opinion, if the belt was squeeling (due to improper tension) then you have likely glazed the belt. I personally wouldn't bother with belt dressing and I would put a new belt on. If you find the PS pump bearings are loose I would rebuild the pump and put a new belt on.