IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: legacy or tribeca headers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
Since were asking stupid questions and getting some "constructive" answers, I got one.

Has anyone tried the EZ36 intake manifold on our engines?
Completely different spacing and size....the EZ engines share Nothing with the EG33, or any other Subaru engines....(save maybe the spark plugs and oil filter)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I figured, just saw a picture of one and they looked fairly similar so I thought I'd see if anyone has tried it.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:51 PM

Yeah, it'd be great if we could use something from one.....I'm just waiting for someone to drop the new EZ36 into an SVX...
(if anyone wants to donate one to me, I'd love to be the first )
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

What with having to give my EG33 the heave-ho, I'd considered the hefty task of stuffing an EZ3? in there, but it's probably more than I can or care to handle right now. Still, I read somewhere on NASIOC that the 3.6 is a little touchy about transplanting, supposedly needing the stock gear all the way to the key to be connected in order to work? Doesn't make a ridiculous amount of sense, but it's something to question before doing that transplant with just (ha) the engine, harness, and ECU.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:46 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
Yeah, it'd be great if we could use something from one.....I'm just waiting for someone to drop the new EZ36 into an SVX...
(if anyone wants to donate one to me, I'd love to be the first )
The same thought had crossed my mind, to be honest the inital reason why i bought the svx was to transplant the engine into a 2dr GC body but the car grew on me. I heard somewhere that our EG33 block is actually stronger than the EZ36 block, plus its only a 20hp diff between the 2,
Old 09-03-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
The same thought had crossed my mind, to be honest the inital reason why i bought the svx was to transplant the engine into a 2dr GC body but the car grew on me. I heard somewhere that our EG33 block is actually stronger than the EZ36 block, plus its only a 20hp diff between the 2,
Yeah, just about 20 hp difference...but the EZ36 is physically smaller, lighter, has more torque, gets better gas mileage AND runs on regular fuel

And the swap would require an aftermarket ECU to make it run in the SVX

The EG33 is a stronger built engine though....
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 09-03-2009, 08:44 AM

I wouldn't bother putting an EZ in an SVX... what would be the point. I wish someone would come out with AVCS heads, and such, for the EG, though. I doubt it would ever happen. AVCS, AVLS, and other valve-train and tuning aspects are what give the EZ it's similar power, and not all EZs run on regular, EZ30R takes premium, I believe...

I have heard rumors that the EZ36 is actually de-tuned from the factory, to not cause a lot of warranty work on the 5EAT gearbox that sits behind it.

But with narrower cylinder pitch, and thinner walls, the compactness and lightness-of-weight come at a bit of a cost in the robustness department, which a non-turbo engine will probably never miss... But EG33 was built from a pattern that was quite turbo-capable, from the EJ22...

I was just thinking this morning... I love my Legacy GT... but I wish I had the features of the 2007-2009 Spec B, with the better suspension (mine is getting bad... need new dampers, I might even have a broken sway-bar link or something, the rear end is ever so slightly squirrely), along with the folding rear seat, and the better, heavy-duty 6-speed manual, with an actually good clutch.

But with my turbo 4 that is now purging boost pressure somewhere before the throttle body, likely from the cheap-@$$ plastic intercooler, and the potential that the Legacys and new WRXs are chewing up turbos on occasion...

It occurred to me... why can I not get a Legacy 3.0R Spec B? The 2009-specification 2.5GT Spec B is right on the money, except maybe lack of HID headlights, and keyless entry and engine start... the '10 Legacy's option list is significantly less than the 09 Spec B, and the car is uglier, to boot...

But I think the SVX has spoiled me for simplicity and smoothness. The rush of the turbo is fun... but is it worth the complexity, and the higher maintenance costs, and the slightly coarser nature of the H4T engine, especially with unequal exhaust lengths...

If I could get a ruby red, or better yet, a nice blue color, in a 2009-spec.B, but with the 3.0R or 3.6 engine, instead of the turbo 4, I would probably jump at that chance, as long as it included the 6MT, VTD AWD, Torsen rear diff, SI-Drive, and all the other specifications the same as the GT Spec B. The ONLY change being the engine itself. Maybe adding Brembo brakes, STI 5x114.3 hubs and wheels, and HIDS...

Then heaven forbid, they would actually cut two doors off of such a car, move the front seats down and back just a bit, and re-make the roof and windows in SVX's image... THAT is a car I would buy just as soon as I could make it happen.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 09-03-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:08 AM

I did not say all EZ's run on regular, just the EZ36.....(just to clarify)
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed