Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM

ej crank pulley

i have a 98rs light weight crank pulley. will that fit a 96 svx engine?
i did a search and nothing came up about rs engines and crank pulley.

james
Old 08-14-2009, 03:29 PM

Registered SVX
Re: ej crank pulley

i pretty sure they are all the same from brat to baja all years all models except maybe fiori/vivio/sherpa but they might too i dont know
i bought a unorthadox racing one off a wrx from ebay a month ago
havent got it yet but i payed half of what it cost from the company including postage to aust and all
Old 08-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

It will fit...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
i pretty sure they are all the same from brat to baja all years all models except maybe fiori/vivio/sherpa but they might too i dont know
i bought a unorthadox racing one off a wrx from ebay a month ago
havent got it yet but i payed half of what it cost from the company including postage to aust and all
Not quite...
Any of the EJ series will fit the SVX, but the pulley's on the brats, GL's (Leone's) and XT/XT6's are different.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 PM

Registered SVX

Do you need a different belt for aftermarket pulleys?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:05 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXalter View Post
Do you need a different belt for aftermarket pulleys?
No. They should match the original pulley. so a normal belt be fine
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration

Last edited by subbieatnz; 08-15-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbieatnz View Post
No. They should match the original pulley. so a normal belt be fine
If it is a stock diameter you don't need a new belt...if it is an underdrive pulley, then yes, you will need a shorter belt..
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 08-15-2009, 07:29 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
If it is a stock diameter you don't need a new belt...if it is an underdrive pulley, then yes, you will need a shorter belt..
Good point about that.
I dont like to use the under drive pulley.
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 08-16-2009, 05:15 PM

oh yea don't use that unless your using the car as a race only. i have an underdrive pulley i can't even give it away. i am trying to sell it. but i am using a stock size light weight pulley. has anyone see a difference? or any bad things happen yet?

james
Old 08-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I just hear bad things about them being unreliable, it seems like I've read about a member here who had two light weight pulleys break on him before he went back to a stock one.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Both lightweight pulleys I got from motorsports svx are still working fine in my svx and my dad's svx. Never heard of a properly installed lightweight pulley failing.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:06 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuby98 View Post
oh yea don't use that unless your using the car as a race only. i have an underdrive pulley i can't even give it away. i am trying to sell it. but i am using a stock size light weight pulley. has anyone see a difference? or any bad things happen yet?

james
James,

I have a lightweight, undersized, el cheapo pulley that I purchased off of Ebay. It is a 'Bomz' pulley. Read more about it here --> http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ghlight=pulley
I read above that you can not even give it away. Well, you know how the government has that gun recycling program? Consider me the undersized pulley recycle program. I will happily 'recycle' your (and anyone elses) pulley. I will PM you with my mailing address and will pay for shipping. I'm dead serious!

BTW: Mine has been installed since 2006 (see thread) and I have not had any issues whatsoever.

Also, I have not shown before and after dyno results due to my SVX not working happily on a dyno anymore. On an AWD dyno, all four wheels do not turn at the same speed and weird burning smells come from underneath. It shifts and runs great so I'm not chancing any more dyno runs, hence no more mods being done.

And to answer your question, I can not tell a difference. Since I have done more than one modification at a time, it was hard to determine what the affect of this mod has done. However, on all of my other subarus, a pulley upgrade had a measurable positive difference in hp and torque, with the exception being my Subaru RX turbo. That car saw a hp/tq lose for some strange reason. Hp/Torque differences with a lightweight and/or undersized-lightweight pulley is usually linear, meaning for example a 4hp gain would be across the rpm board, rather than up and down. This makes it hard to feel a difference on the road. Turbo'd cars usually have more of a gain than N/A cars so differences can usually be felt more. I expect the pulley to help in my case by helping the car get going quicker since I have a modified cam profile, which may have slowed me down a bit on the low end.

For the record: I do not recommend undersized pulley. If you feel the need for speed and want to get one and install it, go ahead. Get a stock sized lighter pulley with stock sized belts and have fun. Good luck!
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 08-22-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 PM

now what about a light weight pulley and a light weight flywheel. has anyone have a bad experience with them? worse driveablity? and again 3.3L engine

james
Old 02-24-2010, 02:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to thickasxthieves
Registered SVX

Now i know this is a thread regarding lightweight crank pulleys, but. Will other lightweight pulleys designed for the EJ engine series fit our engine. like alternator or power steering ones? is there any performance gain to be had from those? i ask because unorthodox racing has them available and it made me curious.
Stage 2 ECUTune chip, 370cc injectors, ECUTune valve body and TCU, solid rubber motor mounts from a forester, outlaw phenolic spacers, COBBTuning lightweight blue crank pulley, Bontragerworks 22mm rear sway bar & endlinks, StrongFlex poly front sway bar bushings, Powergrid adjustable front sway bar endlinks, 17" MOMO CORSE RPM wheels w/ Toyo Proxes4 225/45, drilled/slotted rotors f/r, stainless lines, ceramic pads, Blue silicone radiator hoses, power mode switch, gold jdm hood badge, 20% tint all around, Hella optilux xtreme yellow fog bulbs

parts waiting to go on car: the rest of the strongflex polyurethane suspension bushing set
Old 02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Yes and no. You have to watch which one you get. The alternator I believe is fine but the P/S comes in 2 flavors. Some years had coarse teeth and some have fine, The SVX I believe has coarse and most WRX have fine but some have coarse.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel