Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Security Electronic Module HELP!??

how the hell do I get to it??? I looked in the service manual and all I find is a vague picture of generally where it is, and also what plugs and things go to it. How do I get to it??? I'd live to remove it and replace it with my new viper system.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: Security Electronic Module HELP!??

I have some nifty pictures of the location of all the screws you need to remove in order to get the glovebox out. Prove your mettle by finding them!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

oh come on now! lol I've already removed the door to the glove box before I replaced the lock in it, but I'll search more n see if I can find your post
Old 08-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

found um, cny post's weird is there more on where you put all the modules for your alarm system?? did you do a viper system? what kind did you do??

for those curious here is the post
Old 08-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

It may not be too obvious from LetItSnow's picture, but he used a connector and pins I provided that plugs into the SVX's security harness. It will make the job a lot easier (less splicing/tapping into factory wires), since the OEM harness provides the majority of signals you'll need for an aftermarket alarm. E-mail me if you're interested in getting one.

For a remote-start unit, it may be better to mount the "brain" closer to the steering column, where you'll have to tap the wires for starting.

I came up with a trick to wire up the remote trunk release: There's a connector in the trunk to provide power for an ancient-style cell phone (pics and details here). It's the only thing wired to that fuse (#10). So you can connect your solenoid directly to the cell harness, and build a circuit to interrupt fuse #10 using a relay (perhaps customizing one of those add-a-fuse thingies so that it breaks open the "load" side of the fuse #10 circuit rather than adding a new circuit).

For later SVX's where the security module goes in the trunk, you can simply grab power for the solenoid back there, and wire it through your trunk solenoid relay (which you'll have back there also). In other words, no need to mess with fuse #10 up front.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Oh, and if your aftermarket alarm is the kind where you only need to press the valet button once to disarm, then you want to make that well-hidden -- don't use the Security button for that function.

Say Rob, how bright did your replacement multi-color LED (in the Security button) turn out to be? How did it compare to the OEM LED with the OEM security module?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

I need to find a multicolor LED that's common backwards from what I have. I haven't worked on the thing in a long time due to lack of funds (unemployment pays enough for autocross, food, and the mortgage ) but I'll be back on track soon!

Johnny - if you haven't found the module, it's on that tube running across the inside of the dash near the top of the glovebox. Two bolts hold it; one is challenging to get to.

I mounted my module to the stock security bracket. One thing I advise doing is making sure that when building the harness you leave enough to locate the fuses in a convenient spot. I didn't do this correctly, so I've got to retrofit it now.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
It may not be too obvious from LetItSnow's picture, but he used a connector and pins I provided that plugs into the SVX's security harness. It will make the job a lot easier (less splicing/tapping into factory wires), since the OEM harness provides the majority of signals you'll need for an aftermarket alarm. E-mail me if you're interested in getting one.

For a remote-start unit, it may be better to mount the "brain" closer to the steering column, where you'll have to tap the wires for starting.

I came up with a trick to wire up the remote trunk release: There's a connector in the trunk to provide power for an ancient-style cell phone (pics and details here). It's the only thing wired to that fuse (#10). So you can connect your solenoid directly to the cell harness, and build a circuit to interrupt fuse #10 using a relay (perhaps customizing one of those add-a-fuse thingies so that it breaks open the "load" side of the fuse #10 circuit rather than adding a new circuit).

For later SVX's where the security module goes in the trunk, you can simply grab power for the solenoid back there, and wire it through your trunk solenoid relay (which you'll have back there also). In other words, no need to mess with fuse #10 up front.
with that harness what all is covered. I have the Viper 5901 it has remote start as well as HVAC control and remote start and defrost etc.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

The pin-out is towards the end of the SVX wiring diagrams.

Take a look at Phatweasel's how-to doc, "After Market Alarm Set-up" posted here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To|19764

A few notes:
Quote:
pin 3 "Security" pushbutton on dash - the other side is tied to ground in the dash (unless you hack the switch module in the instrument panel)

pin 10 goes straight to the parking lights. It draws 5.5 A (high current!). You'll need a relay if your alarm brain can't supply +12V at that current level.

pin 13 goes to the car's starter kill relay

pin 17 is a NC (the OEM module's antenna is a wire that hangs out the side)

pin 2 driver's door - you'll see this go to ground when the door opens. This pin can also be used to trigger the dome light (by having your alarm module pulse this pin to ground).
The OEM harness doesn't include any of the pins you'll need for remote start, but probably everything you need for normal keyless entry and alarm functions.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

I've been looking at both the wiring for the viper alarm system and for the stock alarm system, I've figured out most of the stuff I have a few questions I posted in two diff threads.