Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Alpine Double Din (IVA-W505) compatability?

Will this Double Din unit fit within the svx's stock radio cage with minimal customization? I have searched that other members have successfully installed a double din by modifying the hinge on the door to fold down a bit more and removing the back plastic part. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500IVAW...=detailed_info

thanks, chris.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Re: Alpine Double Din (IVA-W505) compatability?

That's a beautiful unit.

It should FIT, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to give up the hide-a-way door. It's still dual din, but with the 7" screen clearance will be tight up front. The other dimension to watch out for is the depth - that was the biggest fight with getting mine in.

I didn't see a depth measurement on crutchfield, and even if there was one, I don't know off the top of my head what would fit or not.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Ok, got the dimensions....

Width (178mm or 7")
Height (100mm or 3 - 15/16")
depth (160.5mm or 6 - 3/8")

Will this fit?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I had mentioned this in a PM, but will post here for everyone else (and posterity)...

The SVX cage is 6-5/8" deep. Since the Alpine is 6-3/8", that will fit inside the SVX cage. You'll need to remove the rear of the cage to allow clearance for all of the wires (easiest way is to drill out the spot-welds).

Whether you can fully open the fold-down door is another matter.

Pictures from Crutchfield (click on thumbnails):

Variable tilt (during use). This can probably work, even with the SVX's cover door left in place (and opened):
Full open, to access DVD slot and expansion bay (for their "Blackbird II" portable navigation unit PMD-B200, which also adds an SD card slot). I guestimate that the door protrudes about 3.5". Even with the SVX's door removed, that will still probably hit the gearshift when in Park or Reverse:
Rear. The radio's chassis fits in the cage, but all those wires will be crowded back there!
See Crutchfield's product page for the IVA-W505 for even larger versions of those and more pictures.