Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
I think I broke my car.

Driving home on the freeway I dropped it into 4th to pass someone and think I pushed her too hard. After that pass it's been sputtering when I push the gas pedal, sometimes dying when moving slow. The CEL popped up but I haven't checked the code(s) yet, just wondering what I should be prepared for upon further inspection. It's a '92 with a 5 speed out of an 04 2.5rs, 107k on the clock.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:20 AM

Re: I think I broke my car.

Sounds like you may have really broken it!
Keith
Old 12-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Driving home on the freeway I dropped it into 4th to pass someone and think I pushed her too hard. After that pass it's been sputtering when I push the gas pedal, sometimes dying when moving slow. The CEL popped up but I haven't checked the code(s) yet, just wondering what I should be prepared for upon further inspection. It's a '92 with a 5 speed out of an 04 2.5rs, 107k on the clock.
Idk but maybe be a simple MAF.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 12-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

MAF will do that. Also fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter. Maybe you sucked something into it that it didn't like.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:53 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet

It was raining kinda hard when it happened but I didn't go through any big puddles. I'm going to check around this site to see how to get the code and go from there.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:07 PM

spark plugs??

1992 SVX LS-L Pearl White 102,000 miles (Gone)

2005 Evolution 8 SSL Tarmac Black (new daily)

1995 Eclipse GSX Durango Copper Pearl (teh beast)
276awhp/280awtq @ 18psi (560's inj)
260awhp/260awtq @ 17psi (stock inj)
Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I brought some ham.

Pulled three codes. One for the EGR and both O2 sensors (32,34,37). The sensors are both less than a year old and I just had a new EGR solenoid installed. Sounds like the EGR took a crap, again....
Old 12-05-2008, 05:30 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX

Did you clear the codes out? Could be reading an old set of codes. I would have thought this is a MAF problem from what I read.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Sounds like the EGR may be stuck open. Was it OEM?? Since its newer you could clean it.... its not the worst thing to remove and reinstall on the SVX lol. Good luck !!!

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 12-05-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:15 PM

The EGR is not supposed to be open under full accel. It is only supposed to be open at steady cruising. Having it open under accel would drastically reduce the power output of the engine.

It sounds to me like you have a misfire. The fact that it was raining at the time leads me to suspect a bad plug wire or something like that. If you have a misfire that the ECM hasn't picked up yet, it could throw O2 sensor codes and EGR codes. The O2 sensors will see the big gulp of air that the engine took and didn't fire, and think it is running very lean. The change on the vacuum reading in the intake when it misfires could be misinterpreted by the ECM as the EGR being open, since it calculates EGR flow based on manifold vacuum.

The first thing I would do to it is plugs and wires and see if that helps it at all.

Mike
91 Marcury Cougar, 393" stroker, completely insane!
89 Mercury Cougar XR7, supercharged V6/5-speed, one of 2209. Engine currently dead, replacement in garage being rebuilt.
80 Pontiac Firebird formula, 350TPI swapped in, car needs to be finished.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:13 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Jumped timing belt?
Old 12-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

snorkel

xxxxxx
Old 12-06-2008, 01:28 PM
I brought some ham.

I'm starting to think it goes even further past the plugs/wires to my alternator/battery. I found a hose half-connected to the egr so I clamped it back on. Might have been a symptom rather than the problem though, as it's still doing the same thing. When the car starts running rough, it'll die at a stop and I can't start it again unless I jump it.

So, I'm thinking the alternator isn't charging the battery, which doesn't give a spark, which causes that "gulp" of air across the egr/exhaust. Thoughts on that?
Old 12-06-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I'm starting to think it goes even further past the plugs/wires to my alternator/battery. I found a hose half-connected to the egr so I clamped it back on. Might have been a symptom rather than the problem though, as it's still doing the same thing. When the car starts running rough, it'll die at a stop and I can't start it again unless I jump it.

So, I'm thinking the alternator isn't charging the battery, which doesn't give a spark, which causes that "gulp" of air across the egr/exhaust. Thoughts on that?
This "can't start it again unless I jump it" is quite a clue.

A jump should do nothing for you that your electrical system in your car can't do for itself. Sounds like your voltage is not up to par if a jump works and your battery doesn't. Possibly the inadequate power could affect the idle but for sure it affects your cranking.

Translation... a jump works with the same voltage you are supposed to have in your battery, but your battery wont start it.

Keith
Old 12-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Yike !! Definitely check the alternator output first..... should be 14 volts or so while running (use a multimeter at the battery terminals). If its juicing the battery, suspect the battery is done. Ive seen plenty of new batteries with bad cells, so dont dismiss that as a possibility. If your alternator isnt putting out anything.... you read 12 volts or lower at the battery, you can hit the alternator with a solid metal object like a hammer... just give it a good ping.... and usually it will start charging again for a time, until you can get a new one. This trick worked for me for about 4 months on my toyota truck. You cant really diagnose your idle problem if your system isnt getting the right amount of current.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.