Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2009, 01:13 PM

Re: TURBOs!?

How much boost is it possible to run on a stock motor?(somewhat reliably)

And roughly how much power(both hp and tq) can be expected?

Cost?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Isn't it like 8 or 10 psi?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-23-2009, 03:10 PM
outsider

Send a message via AIM to crusader8

Compression test is easy and the tested is $35 from autozone.
I know its not an SVX, but its fast
A Typhoon is like a girlfriend - takes a lot of money to keep going, but when she puts out...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/825685
2003 Ford Ranger EDGE
When I find the right amount of money I'll find the right SVX
Old 01-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

9lb i believe most are running. I think it was 12lb that YT shattered his piston. OT I think may have had 12lb on his setup successfully though. These are SC numbers, but you get the drift. YT's car on 9lb would be plenty fast for me.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:31 PM

so I could safely run around 8psi on a stock motor.

How much will this cost, and how much power is to be expected?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowitz View Post
so I could safely run around 8psi on a stock motor.

How much will this cost, and how much power is to be expected?
Cost depends on alot of things.

Right now about the cheapest FI setup on the forums is Phil (Phast SVX). Last I read he was running 3.5-4.5psi which was good for a 14.5sec 1/4mile.

This was with a Forester(?) 5mt, ECUtune St 2v7F, and a low cost turbo setup.

He has purchased a slightly larger turbo now and could easily run 8psi.

I think with the Hydra system now we can see higher amounts of pressure run into the cylinders. Intercooling and more control on timing and afr's will lower the chances of detonation and we will see ring lands lasting longer.

"Longer" being the keyword there. None of this stuff is a sure-fire way around built internals.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 PM

Well I am planning on swapping the eg33 into my 98 impreza...so it should be quick anyway.

But Im thinking about a turbo setup for later on.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

That is a trickier question than it seems. Different engines have performed differently. We saw as much as 70 wheel hp differnces between cars running the stage 3 prototypes. With some experience now I've noticed a large variation in cylinder pressures between different eg33's and a large variation in the oil clearances that came out of the factory. We've also seen a large difference in how well different cars handle ignition timing. That's part of what inspired me to release the new aggressive tuning that for the most part skips the learning of ignition advance and just puts it all in to begin with.

The reality is that most SVX engines that haven't been taken apart these days are on the verge of head gasket failure anyway just because of age so anyone who is serious about it builds an engine. Even with a built engine some attention needs to be spent to ensure that your ecu is actually applying the timing that your engine needs--if it doesn't then it both runs hot and slower than it should.

Personally, I woulndn't recomend trying to put forced induction on a stock engine. Chances are the engine could use some attention first. Phil has posted the info on how to redo the shift maps for the SVX TCU and I have posted some good shift maps for the US market SVX's and I have bullet proof transmissions. If you want to make a fast track car out of an SVX build a bullet proof drive train and get a big nitrous kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowitz View Post
How much boost is it possible to run on a stock motor?(somewhat reliably)

And roughly how much power(both hp and tq) can be expected?

Cost?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post
Also, as with any mods of this sort, a goal HP# is your first step! It makes designing the system alot easier (and it will be alot more efficient).
Dustin
Given that I have a goal hp in mind, I'd like some reassurance that my path is efficient and lets me reach my goal.

Goal HP: 3-375hp stock compression, for now
Lan stage 2
suggested MAF and injectors.
Detchwerks 225pump
GT30r remote mount.

My target spool RPM range is around 3,000rpm. Full spool no later than 4k with a redline raised to 7500. Major exhaust porting as well, UEL headers. OEM primaries mated to 2.25" secondaries to 3" catback.

Currently the engine has been ripped apart down to the halves and re-sealed, new gaskets including HG's. No leaks, no burnt oil, no weird noises. I should do a compression test, haven't got a tester at the moment however.

Last edited by BackWoodsBob; 09-28-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWoodsBob View Post
Given that I have a goal hp in mind, I'd like some reassurance that my path is efficient and lets me reach my goal.

Goal HP: 3-375hp stock compression, for now
Lan stage 2
suggested MAF and injectors.
Detchwerks 225pump
GT30r remote mount.

My target spool RPM range is around 3,000rpm. Full spool no later than 4k with a redline raised to 7500. Major exhaust porting as well, UEL headers. OEM primaries mated to 2.25" secondaries to 3" catback.

Currently the engine has been ripped apart down to the halves and re-sealed, new gaskets including HG's. No leaks, no burnt oil, no weird noises. I should do a compression test, haven't got a tester at the moment however.
Hi Bob,

Since you're starting up your own effort, you might want to start a dedicated thread instead of posting into threads that are several years old. It does look like you're going to have some fun!

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 AM

Last edited by bazza; 10-11-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
If you're going to turbo the EG33, then run a full aftermarket ecu - then the tune can be completely tuned to your setup which has major benefits.

The GT30R is fine for about 4-7 psi but bare in mind for this engine - it's a ridiculously small turbo. I'm running it's much bigger brother (GT35R) and even that's ridiculously small for these 3.3L's. GT40R+ is what these engines really need haha.

The stock cams are quite nasty and unless you run very low boost it probably won't pull to 7K. Also bare in mind you're aiming for 350 hp atw? That's about 260 kw atw which is about 8-9 psi with the GT35R and it only pulls to about 5800-6000 rpm before the power dies due to the cams. With the GT30R you'll prolly be around 10-12 psi for the same power and it will also hit the brick wall due to cams and or the turbo being to small.
Weird, from my research the GT30 would be perfect for a remote mount pushing 8psi. It would have a lower spool, but is somewhere between a TD05 20G and a TD06 20G.

It should be able to feed the engine well into the 6k range.

What, in regards to cams, causes it to not pull that high? Float? If so, I've read someone changing out the springs for turbo valve springs which are stiffer.

I have 0 tuning experience, so it would be better for me to start off on a Lan chip. Unless there is a tuning thread I overlooked which explains in simple terms how to tune and what changing specific parameters does. I don't have access to a dyno and don't have the wires necessary for a select monitor due to my wire harness being hacked by the original owner.

Last edited by BackWoodsBob; 10-01-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Hi Bob,

Since you're starting up your own effort, you might want to start a dedicated thread instead of posting into threads that are several years old. It does look like you're going to have some fun!

Bill
That's the plan .
I'd rather bump an older thread, than to start a new thread that wont have updates for several months. At least until I land a second job and start the ball rolling.

Best to not leave too much anticipation in the air, otherwise people lose interest .
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 PM

Last edited by bazza; 10-11-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
This is a 3.3l, not a pissy little 4 banger 2.5l. Everything big on 2.5 l is now small on 3.3l.

Lol valve float - issue is the cam duration and lift.
Hmm... I figured at those RPMS the valves would float.
Could you point me to a thread where they discuss that valve duration and lift is out of whack for 6-7k rpm operation?

It was my understanding that FI would allow the EG to make power clear to a 7k fuel cut. If the valves didn't float that is.

I also read the thread about the remote mount using the GT35R and he doesn't see positive pressure until almost 3700rpm. I'd rather run out of breath a bit sooner, then wait until almost 4,000rpm for boost.