Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Found a lost SVX

Question TURBOs!?

Ok, well, I am brand new to serious tuning and new to tuning the complicated platform of the SVX. My questions are much more than about turbos but why not start there?

Who has a turbo-ed SVX? What is your set up with it (twin, big, small, scroll, intercooled...)? What are the side affect modifications (injectors, rings, pistons, rods, crank, cams, valves/ seats, etc...)? What tranny is good (I hope to slap in an STi 6speed)? Any space issues? Mount issues? Issues in general? What is the highest boost anyone has run with an SVX? Do you know any sites I can read about race set ups on performance engines?

:..Fey..:2005 World Rally Blue Impreza WRX 80k and rising. MODs: Lowering springs, 22mm sway bars. SS brake lines.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: TURBOs!?

There is one low boost turbo system on the network that works pretty well. phastsvx has it. There are a couple others that haven't quite suceeded yet.

They have all been single turbo systems with the turbo put in place of where the oe air hose is. It's tough to fit a high flowing hybrid there; you wouldn't be able to fit anything really big. A gt3076r would be sweet choice for that location.

A pair of smaller turbos could probably be fit more easily underneath the engine in the front corners. The smaller the easier the installation. You might manage to squeeze a pair of gt2871r turbos down there which would be good for huge power. More likely you could squeeze a pair of gt2860rs or any of the skyline turbos which are 25 series. Even easier than that would be a pair of small frame turbos. A pair of gt2259 turbos would do fine. If anyone would ever set their sites lower than a 1000hp dyno queen it could be done easily enough. ECUtune stage 2 engine management, a set of exhaust cams, and a pair of gt2259 turbos would probably give you a 500hp svx with little hassle though you might/probably would find you need lower compression pistons to boot.

Last edited by longassname; 11-23-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Lan if I run a hydra with a 35r and fmic and lcr pistons n new cams n such with a bit of porting what do you think I'd be seeing number wise?? Aren't the 35r's cheaper than a 40 series?? I also might have easy access to one for a good price.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Just some dude.

would be a great turbo if you can fit it...i have my doubts though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
Lan if I run a hydra with a 35r and fmic and lcr pistons n new cams n such with a bit of porting what do you think I'd be seeing number wise?? Aren't the 35r's cheaper than a 40 series?? I also might have easy access to one for a good price.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
The cams are the big determining factor there.

The 35R will be very efficient on our motor and 300-350hp should be easily attainable.

The EG33 should produce about 450-500hp at 18psi. These were with rough numbers so of course, it's a +/- situation.

A 35R should fit in the usual space, a 40R is gonna be a tight squeeze if its possible....

Ninja edit: Looking through things alittle more, the 4088R is gonna be lag-city! The .85 (maybe the .95) hot side will probably be the only exception...

I think the 22 series is alittle small for twins. The 25 or 28 looks alot better.

Also, as with any mods of this sort, a goal HP# is your first step! It makes designing the system alot easier (and it will be alot more efficient).

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company

Last edited by odepaj; 11-23-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

I was planning on going along the same lines of what tom was planning to produce to sell, but having Big Valley Performance out of Orlando do the piping and such for me and do the tuning.

I was planning on building the motor and running lcr pistons around about 8.45 to 1 ratio but it's all a matter of cost.

I don't know what I want to do because it is so expensive so I'm trying to research options before making the jump and dropping cash.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Found a lost SVX

I understand that certain things have never been done to an SVX before. What is the most insane SVX out there? I want to set my goal hp/ torque around 600. There are serious limitation, I know, but I would just like to know what kind of things people are running right now and what has been done before. Mainly so I can crush their numbers and expectations.

How many forced induction SVX are on the road? How many 6speeds?

:..Fey..:2005 World Rally Blue Impreza WRX 80k and rising. MODs: Lowering springs, 22mm sway bars. SS brake lines.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

maybe 6 total... Only 2 though that are F/I with a 6 speed. That would be me and Young Tom. If you want 600whp you will have to build your motor, no question about it. Expect to spend 5-7k just on your motor before you even start any turbo application.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Just some dude.

The biggest engineering constraint is physically fitting the turbo or turbos. I think you'll be more successful if you pay more attention to that in the begining.

Beyond that you need to be realistic about building an engine. If you want to get big power you have to build an engine. Propperly building an EG33 is a long, expensive project. Say you want to turbo a car next year..you'd need to start building your engine now. Once you have your engine you can put your engine management on. Once you have engine management working you can put on a turbo or turbos. It's a lot of time and money.

Anybody not looking to spend 15 or 20 grand on it needs to take a step back for a reality check and go back to fitting small inexpensive turbos on a stock engine with ECUtune stage 2 engine management. If you are realistic about it you can make a fast car for a few grand.

Quote:
I was planning on going along the same lines of what tom was planning to produce to sell, but having Big Valley Performance out of Orlando do the piping and such for me and do the tuning.

I was planning on building the motor and running lcr pistons around about 8.45 to 1 ratio but it's all a matter of cost.

I don't know what I want to do because it is so expensive so I'm trying to research options before making the jump and dropping cash.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Might want to get the EM and turbo system running first. It's better to break in the motor already underboost instead of adding boost later.

It'll be easier on the piston rings that way.

Just an FYI.

Either way really doesn't matter alot, but you'll get more longevity out of the motor breaking it in this way.

Dustin

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 11-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Found a lost SVX

Time: Miharu needs 6 months of body work, I am planning on doing custom fiber glassing but, I need to find a place to do that. Also planning to light weight it during that process too, chopping up the interior and installing a roll cage with flat tubing. Look at the pictures I left in the check in... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...22044&page=108

Needs a year work on engine and engine management, I know this, I assumed cost but I am going to make it a long project anyway so it will be like making payments. I want to do it RIGHT the first time, therefore I'll take my time. I know I am going to have lots of problems/ setbacks along the way. My goal is to increase the volume of the engine as much as possible too. Pistons/rings/rods I know I'll need to get custom or crossovers.

Anyone here Bore/stroke/port+polish?

Know anywhere I can look at the stock specs and pieces?

Space: I am willing to chop anything out or move it to the trunk for space. I WANT two medium- large turbos in there. My plan is for this car to eat everything you understand? I am willing to go so far as to remove things like a/c, heating, maybe even power steering because who needs power steering? Fitting the intercooler then will be the biggest problem, but you can always move the radiator.

I want to spend a lot of time on research before I touch anything anyway. So I am just going to talk it up for now. Poll! Who wants to see a 600hp SVX eat everything thats on the road, or do you want to see stockish SVXs?

Old 11-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Not to rain on the parade, but a word of wisdom.... Lots of people have started very ambitious SVX projects while having no clue the expense that they are going to see by the time they get to the half way point. Let alone all the way done.. If you do this right you will spend 25k+ easily..... Those aforementioned people ended their projects unfinished and in huge amounts of frustration.....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-25-2008, 02:17 PM

why so much???

i plan on "slapping on" one of the old turbos off my DSM or take my friends OEM WRX turbo and just putting on an external gate with a 7 PSI spring.

some nissan injectors and an SAFC would make this car a lot more fun then it already is.

1992 SVX LS-L Pearl White 102,000 miles (Gone)

2005 Evolution 8 SSL Tarmac Black (new daily)

1995 Eclipse GSX Durango Copper Pearl (teh beast)
276awhp/280awtq @ 18psi (560's inj)
260awhp/260awtq @ 17psi (stock inj)
Old 11-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Or you could just get the 2v7 ECUtune and do the same thing but for a lot less headaches an dyno time. That's what I plan on anyway. *shrug*

The SAFC isn't a BAD idea, but its just alot easier to use a solid tune that already works for someone else as a base.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by siceclipse View Post
why so much???

i plan on "slapping on" one of the old turbos off my DSM or take my friends OEM WRX turbo and just putting on an external gate with a 7 PSI spring.

some nissan injectors and an SAFC would make this car a lot more fun then it already is.
The td04 is WAY to small for our motor. The EG33 flows to much air for that turbo. It would be VERY inneficient and probably wouldn't even get you 7psi.....

Honestly, probably the best cheap turbo to use would be a t3/t04 hybrid. You would still be out of the efficiency range of that turbo, but it will net you some usuable power. It got Phil to a 14.5 pretty easily.

The main reason the SVX costs so much to build is because you're practically replacing all the driveline/suspension parts.

The easiest "small" build would be a 4.44/5mt (maybe coilovers) and then a small decent turbo system (much like Phil's).

No offense there phil, I'm just using you as an example since your system has decent power and a fairly low cost.

Dustin

Ps. Have you ever seen a td04 in person? Those things are tiny

My Locker