SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2008, 04:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Thumbs down Bad MPG and rough ride!!

Hi all,

Its been long time for me actually posting about problems with my SVX. Anyways, my green Alfa is leaking coolant from front head gasket, so I started using SVX daily. Till now I haven't been using it much at all except like once or twice a month and so haven't taken care of some problems with it.

The problems strated from two years back when I replaced the original rusted front exhaust pipes (those with cats) with a parted out Calif car's. Since then I am getting low MPG and the car is running very rough. But I can't say its the only reason for all the problems, because its about the same time I have 4.44s installed. When I use cruise control at freeway speeds, it always shudders (in the way like it is trying to brake and then again trying to accelerate), its not dramatic, but you can feel it and the cruise control is not smooth.

There is a noticeable vibration in the steering at freeway speeds. Actually the vibration reducing alot since new axles are in but there is till some vibration.

Changed the crank and cam seals, oil pump seal, valve cover seals and cleaned throttle body. New front axles, new tires all around, but rotrs are not same, diagonal rotors are new. As for known issues, the speedo is off, it actually shows 10mph+ off than actual speed, this is there since I have 4.44 in it.

Here is a picture of one of the exhausts with heat shield ON... will take a pic without the sheild later-
Pic1

I would like to get this car straight by the end of holidays... any suggestions plz..

thanks,
-Pavan
Old 11-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: Bad MPG and rough ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut View Post
...the speedo is off, it actually shows 10mph+ off than actual speed, this is there since I have 4.44 in it.
This, as far as I know, has no relation. The speed sensor is driven after the differential takes effect.

Installing 4.44s certainly won't be any bit kind to your fuel economy, but how much of a toll it will take will have to be spoken from someone who's got them.

Last edited by LetItSnow; 11-17-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
This, as far as I know, has no relation. The speed sensor is driven after the differential takes effect.
Yeh Yeh I know, but just listing all the info/problems I know..... But it does effect your ABS though.... ofcourse it not relevant tooo....

-Pavan
Old 11-22-2008, 11:05 AM

I think I found one of the problems if not many ) with steering vibration at high speeds... its the drivers side inner tie rod joint, having a little vibration in it. Seems like th clicking sound is coming from inner joint. Should I have to replace both inner and outer tie rods or only the inner should be fine??

I still dont have a clue about mpg drop....

-Pavan
Old 12-07-2008, 04:43 PM

I notice oil leak underneath the car mainly on steering rack and underneath the P/S pump, I attached some pics below to get an idea.

is it just P/S fluid or the valve cover is also leaking?? If its P/S fluid what would be the culprit??

thanks.
-Pavan
Old 12-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Looks like your valve cover is leaking some.. There is also an o-ring between the steering pump and the reservoir that likes to leak, I would start with that, and clean the oil off your engine and then check it in a few hundred miles and see if anything else is leaking.

Also, I'm far from an expert on Italian cars, What's the difference between the 164L and 164Q? I work with a guy that used to work on Alfas, among other things, in San Diego in the 80s.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
Looks like your valve cover is leaking some.. There is also an o-ring between the steering pump and the reservoir that likes to leak, I would start with that, and clean the oil off your engine and then check it in a few hundred miles and see if anything else is leaking.

Also, I'm far from an expert on Italian cars, What's the difference between the 164L and 164Q? I work with a guy that used to work on Alfas, among other things, in San Diego in the 80s.
I changed my valve covers not so long... I doubt if its valve covers, but will check if it is... I did replace the p/s pump O-ring when I rebuilt my p/s pump.

Coming to L and Q, B/L(185hp)/S(200hp) are 3.0L 12V alfa V6 (60deg) engine which were produced till 93, then they upgraded the engine to 3.0L 24V alfa V6 engine and face lifted the luxury version (LS, 210hp) while kept the sporty version (Q, 230hp) the same exterior. S and Q are sporty versions with bigger intake runners and exhaust headers, shorter gear ratios. The powerful version among all 164 models is Q4, with Alfa's unquie viscomatic AWD system with rear wheel bias and 6 speed getrag tranny.

Hope this clears up some of your doubts...

-Pavan
Old 12-08-2008, 06:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to degeso

that oil leak looks like my oil leak right behind the time belt cover which im ordering soon cam shaft seals and plugs which i think is causing the leek as far as the roughness id check and replace all vac hoses for intake especially the iris check valve also your cruse control is control by vac check that hose it is next to your brake fluid res.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:40 AM

you may also want to check your spark plugs make sure they are clean and not failed which would also cause poor mpg and roughness
Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 AM

you may also need to replace your rocker cover gaskets which turn from rubber to plastic with age and cause leeks which when driving blow oil back on parts like racks
Old 12-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut View Post
The powerful version among all 164 models is Q4, with Alfa's unquie viscomatic AWD system with rear wheel bias and 6 speed getrag tranny.

Hope this clears up some of your doubts...

-Pavan
Hmm, something tells me those are fard as huck to find! Sounds pretty cool though. There is a 164 that I see in Albany from time to time, but I have no idea what year or level it is...

*EDIT*
How rare is the body kit? http://www.vehix.com/inventory/Vehic...1%2B4294879065
1986 VW Jetta

Last edited by Hondasucks; 12-10-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Yeh, only around 5 Q4 are sold in US and two of them are in California (SFO and Sac). Its not an after market body kit, its default for S (Sport 89-93) and Q (Quadrifoglio 94-96) models. But they are same on all years of those models, apart from engine the only other differences are the interior seats and controls, even they are same if its recaro seats option with 8 way front power memory seats and reclining rear seats (all heated) with additional retractable thigh support .

-Pavan
Old 12-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX

Have you ever seen the SPICA fuel injection some of the older models used? I wish I could find a diagram of how it worked, very advanced for a totally mechanical injection system. (I dunno when they quit using it, I know the Spiders had it in the 60s, the guy I work with says he quit working on Alfas when they switched to Bosch fuel injection... I can't say I'd complain about a 164, since they are more practical than a spider (But if I had a commute, I'd definitely go with the Spider since they are cooler than an MR2, and I think I'd actually fit in one; I don't fit very well in an MR2) but I have a feeling my wife would think it was ugly and would refuse to ride in it, but I'm sure she'd take the 164 over a Jag if she had a choice of the two :P
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-12-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Have you ever seen the SPICA fuel injection some of the older models used? I wish I could find a diagram of how it worked, very advanced for a totally mechanical injection system. (I dunno when they quit using it, I know the Spiders had it in the 60s, the guy I work with says he quit working on Alfas when they switched to Bosch fuel injection... I can't say I'd complain about a 164, since they are more practical than a spider (But if I had a commute, I'd definitely go with the Spider since they are cooler than an MR2, and I think I'd actually fit in one; I don't fit very well in an MR2) but I have a feeling my wife would think it was ugly and would refuse to ride in it, but I'm sure she'd take the 164 over a Jag if she had a choice of the two :P
Yeh, SPICA is used widely in Alfa Romeos of pre-80 models, I think the last models with those in US are Alfetta Sedan and GT. They are fantastic compared to more controlled and complicated Bosch systems. Ofcourse SPICA systems of those doesnt consider emissions though . I will see if I can find a service manual diagram of that. I have only service manuals for 164(s) only (its great to see that most of the 164(s) you buy come with service manual cd and sometimes with parts disc tooo).
Yeh, especially Spider Veloce is far far cooler than MR2 anyday anytime. See if you can find one in good shape, these days they are going for very good prices for their condition (a good condition one anywhere from $8k-$10k). I am sure your wife will take 164LS over Jag if she is more into looks .

-Pavan
Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Hey Pavan,
Your 164 is outstanding! Wish you could have had it at our Woodley Park show last month. We had about a half dozen 164s of various types out of the 85 or so Alfas in the show. Winner in the Daily Driver class was a black LS like yours, but in not nearly as nice shape. Mine is a '91 L with less than 100k on the clock, and all original except the A/C system, and is a rare 5-speed as well. (I think I read somewhere that 80 percent or more of the 164s were automatics.)
In other news, Tom had a look at my SVX as he passed through So Cal, and all his recommendations have been implemented, with the exception of the front dif, which whines on the overrun. Took it to the tranny shop where it was replaced in Feb., and they kept it for four days, then told me that they didn't do anything. A friend who is a retired service manager said they probably told me that because they didn't have anyone in the shop who knew how to set gear lash properly. I was willing to pay for them to R and R the tranny and dif, but I don't have the funds to replace the ring and pinion with a new set. (I believe Subaru wants $1,800 for the parts.) So I'm living with it for the time being.
By the way, Tom checked the codes on the car, and it showed a bad left oxy sensor, so I had them both replaced, along with putting in an aftermarket resonator to replace the rattly stocker. The car is now smoother and much quieter.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri