How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Crazy in Canada, parts prices: $869 for 1 Head Lamp Assembly

Hello All,

I just thought I mention how crazy stupid Canadian parts pricing is when compared to the USA.

Called up my local Subaru Dealer to inquire into the cost of Headlamp assembly replacements. Part number 84001A and 84001B (right and left respectively) and they are NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!

$869 CAD plus our local sales tax of 12.5% for EACH side. Thats for ONE not both sides. Then they wonder why we Canadians *****.

I figure even with the exchange rate no longer being so great as the Canadian dollar is now being traded at about 0.77 USD, that still makes for one hell of a difference.

Canadian Local Dealer Price (I called 3 of them)
Canadian Price: $869 plus our 12.5% sales tax = $980.89 CAD EACH!!!

US www.subaruparts.com
US Price: $325.08 plus exchange rate of 23% = $399.84 CAD shipping $20

A difference of $581.05 EACH or $1162.10 in savings (minus the $20 for shipping) if ordered in the USA.

This is just plain robbery as both these come from the same supplier and are the same product, Japan anyway.

Just venting. I will obviously be ordering them from the US. Lets not even discuss the price difference in tires.

Max
Old 10-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Crazy in Canada, parts prices: $869 for 1 Head Lamp Assembly

Yup, why do you think I buy all my parts online? At least anything over $100. I'll only buy from a dealer when I need things a bit quicker than the 2+ weeks it takes subaruparts.com to get something to me.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 10-28-2008, 07:45 PM

Registered SVX

I bought two super clean no haze for $50 Seller had bought them a couple years ago new from dealer, then sold svx but kept the new headlights. Was cleaning out his garage and got a great deal.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

You'll also pay an import duty as the parts will be not be made in USA or Mexico to qualify for free trade exemption. It could be in the teens as a percentage.

I have found my local dealer to be competitive with SubaruParts.com on many items, but not all. You may want to check another dealer.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

If you need someone locally in the US to get the parts then ship to you, I'd ask the guys at All We'll Drive, they always seem to be willing to go the extra step to help folks out.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
You'll also pay an import duty as the parts will be not be made in USA or Mexico to qualify for free trade exemption. It could be in the teens as a percentage.

I have found my local dealer to be competitive with SubaruParts.com on many items, but not all. You may want to check another dealer.
Hello,

I have a US address I can and have used in the past to ship items to. It saves on shipping cost and all the extra taxes and duties so there is no concern for me there. Its my good friends father country cottage about an hour and a half distance from my place and they are there almost every weekend so getting it here is no problem either. As well www.subaruparts.com offered me to us a US postal shipping box office for delivery within the US but again ai do not need to go that route.

I tried three dealers and they were all close to that price. I am curious, if you have the time, check with yours to see if its that out of line.

Finally, even with paying the exchange of 30%, taxes, duties of 26%, and brokerage fees of $40 it would still not come close to the $581 price gouging of the Canadian dealers. It may not be the dealer and could be Subaru Canada but someone is making a lot more money when selling within Canada. Just like the car prices.

Max
Old 10-29-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
If you need someone locally in the US to get the parts then ship to you, I'd ask the guys at All We'll Drive, they always seem to be willing to go the extra step to help folks out.
I will check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Max
Old 10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

You can also have stuff shipped to the closest The UPS Store on the USA side. I do this with most car parts and Ebay stuff. Here's a link to find the closest one to Montreal.

http://www.ups.com/dropoff/director/42534

It's $5.00 for each item you pick up.