Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-10-2008, 03:00 AM
Registered Loser

Alarm installation with Remote start

Hey guys.

I'm starting to install a car alarm myself and I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the accessories and ignition switch in pieces (obviously for remote starting the car), preferably not a wiring diagram.

At the other end of the whole process, you need to tell the starter motor to STOP turning over once the engine has actually started up.

Choices for this are:
1 - Connect to the battery charger detection wire (use the positive). This is the factory recommended connection
2 - Connect to the engine oil detection wire (use the positive)
3 - Five coils around high-tension coil (not sure what this is)

I hate to sound dumb but where is the actual "battery charger detection wire"? Guessing it's near the alternator.

So far I have the trunk trigger circuit, foot brake circuit, handbrake circuit, LED indicator, temperature sensor and antenna sorted. Unfortunately I still need to match up the central locking which shouldn't be hard. Fuel pump cut circuit is another question for another day. I need to buy a solenoid for the trunk release latch and window closer are a must

It's a pretty neat alarm, it's 2 way, up to 4 kilometres, the temperature monitor on the actual remote is a bit of a gimmick just telling you what temperature it is in the car. We sell these alarms and have only heard good things, so I thought it's time for me to give it a shot.

The alarm on the car now was installed with the car new, which was not typical since the SVX in Australia didn't come with an alarm at all for some reason, just central locking and most were fitted after purchase.

p.s this was my car yesterday.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:45 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Re: Alarm installation with Remote start

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSVX View Post
1 - Connect to the battery charger detection wire (use the positive). This is the factory recommended connection
That wire is the brown one on the two-wire connector, located on the left-hand side of the alternator. The wire is grounded when charging voltage is not present, and is left floating when charging voltage is present.

Quote:
2 - Connect to the engine oil detection wire (use the positive)
That wire is the single one (yellow with a black stripe) coming from the oil pressure switch, located on the front of the engine block, just below the alternator. The wire is grounded when oil pressure is low, and is left floating when oil pressure is normal.

Quote:
3 - Five coils around high-tension coil (not sure what this is)
That won't work - the SVX uses coil-on-plug ignition, so you will not be able to wrap a coil around the ignition coils.

I get worried when I see an SVX on the back of a tow truck - what happened?

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 08-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
It's a pretty neat alarm, it's 2 way, up to 4 kilometres...
I can tell you from experience, the range depends entirely on where you put the antenna. That titanium coated windshield does wonders for blocking radiation, it also murders incoming signal range. My aftermarket alarm has the antenna sticking out from the front of the rear view mirror, right up against the inside of the windshield, and if I'm standing in front of the car the range is only 50' or so. If I'm beside the car, maybe 150', and from behind probably 400'.

Car looks nice, I think that's one of the best colour combo's on an SVX. Wish USDM's had sold with it.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-11-2008, 06:26 AM
Registered Loser

Hey thanks a lot for the response, you haven't heard from me in a while Jason , thanks a lot for the info and dare say we should get a few people with their SVXs together and meet up.
I just started to give it a little gas before I got home and the idler pulley (under the aircon pulley) blew, the adjustable one, hopefully no biggy and I was close to home which was good and annoying. Towed the car home, could still drive the car up the tow bed, was so strange driving up on a 45 degree angle

Hey Crazy_pilot, fortunately and unfortunately someone tried to break into my car a while back and smashed the front windscreen so I have an aftermarket windscreen

Slowly getting there, if someone has pictures of their install can you please post them!!

here's a demo of the exact alarm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiOEuTjYs7o

Here's another gone wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0jbqge2iVI

LOL
Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Registered Loser

Hey I completely forgot to ask... Is the rear windshield also titanium coated??
Old 08-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I do not believe so, just regular temperred auto glass.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl