How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 PM

Scary SVX

ok, So, I need a awd vehicle, I look on the net and find an SVX within an hr of me for sale, I think 'sweet', always liked the way they looked. it's a 92 Touring package, 165k miles, guy wants 3,450.... (lil used car dealer). I'm thinking about offering 27 or 28 for it and seeing if he'll deal any... So, I call in to work today, after getting a carfax from some very nice guy on this site.

Cars clean on the fax

off I go. Get to the dealer, and this SVX doesn't look bad at all, lil paint issues on the hood and peeling front bumper, but hey, to be expected. he brings out the key ( no remote), and I open up the door, truck and hood.... begining my inspections, inside is good, better than expected on the leather, all console parts are there, but the steering column only locks in the lowest position. Good so far right... here where it gets fun. the car hasn't been moved/started in so long that it has rust growths growing off of the brake disks, in fact I couldn't even make out the wear marks in the disks anymore, all 4 of them. He'd cleaned the motor up pretty nicely on top, but when I wedged my head up in under the from wheel/ bumper area... whew man, enough oil under there to lube a fleet, everything was soaked, and total grimmed up, control arms, and axles and stuff just soaked in old oil. I could get in to the rear diff, and took a look at it, it had leak marks around the seals, and the rubber bushing on the backside top where 2 bolts go in.. they were completely shot, almost nothing left.
And then I started it, or well, then he put a jump pack on it and I noticed that the FWD light was on. I asked, he didn't know. So I checked the glove box and read the owners manual and we pulled the fuse. finally I started it. it actually ran, and ran reasonably ok. I was kind of proud of the old girl. No strange noises, no rattles, no valves hammering, at least from inside. then I turned on the climate controls... LOL. the car jerked, and the AC pump attemtped to spin up, and when it did it struck up a conversation with anyone will to talk to it. Not only that but the AC pump and the motor didn't get along.. leading to me having to rev it some to keep the motor and the pump working at the same time. whew. eventually it calmed down..... some. and I was able to drive away. yes I drove it, I traveled almost 1hr 45 mins total to get to it.
I had to make a 9 point turn to get out of the parking place. and the car wouldn't back up on it's own (automatic trans) had to goose it to go backwards. Finally pulled out onto the road and got moving, and it didn't do to bad, had a nice wobble in the wheel from the disks, and almost no stopping power, but I knew from the shape of the disks to expect that. When I'd try to go, it'd shift real jerky from 1st to 2nd, then 3 was a lot smoother. I didn't go above 50. We got back to the dealer and pulled in and stopped... as it stopped and big cloud of oil smoke rolled out of the passenger side front wheelwell...and I turned the car off.
the dealer looked at me and I looked at him, and we both knew that he didn't have a sale. He had no intention of lowering his price, and while I was still interested, I was well below 27 or 28 hundred now. in the end we decided that if he couldn't pawn it off on anyone else, then he'd sell to me, CHEAP.

BTW, you guys have a great community thing going here, and a wonderful car. thanks.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Re: Scary SVX

Firstly, with the trans acting up. Check the Fluid, it might just be low.

After it sitting for so long though you don't know what things might pop out later on down the road......

I'd say if you buy it, it should be under $2k.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 06-19-2008, 10:20 PM

I know it needs Rotors turned if not new disks. pads would be a must... and from the looks of the bottom of the motor it'd need valve cover gaskets at least. with it not having been moved I wasn't sure if the Trans issues were from it setting for so long, or from something else. I've not ever driven one, so I don't know what to expect, in fact I've only seen one moving in real life once or twice.
I didn't check any of the fluids since the dealer really wasn't interesting in actually trying to sell it. I mean, hell, he didn't even make sure the Batt had a charge. but if he'll come down I'd like to own it. it'd make a nice secondary to my Prime car and prolly an ok winter car in Indiana, cos it's not like we get THAT much snow. hell I'd buy it for the rarity value alone if I could!!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMKIV View Post
but the steering column only locks in the lowest position.
Common oversight. There are 3 levers. How many did you attempt to operate?

Judging from your review, it sounds like the trans could be on it's last leg. The FWD fuse being in is a clue. Did you feel any binding or thumping in turns? If not it's possible your center clutch is already gone. Next time you head over there get under and do your best to get a look at the driveline to see if it's powering the rear wheels.
Or there is an easier way, goose the throttle and if your tires spin, AWD is gone.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:34 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I would hold out for another SVX unless the price is right, especially if this is your first one. Sounds like you're coming from a Supra, so things are a little different.

The rotors are one of the short falls of the SVX, so turning rotors that could already be too thin may result in them warping again.

Most of the common seal leaks are the front and main seal, valve cover gaskets and the rear seals. Since the engine is horizontally opposed oil can pool where the valve covers are making them more likely to seep. Seeping is common with the older ones but the car is still perfectly driveable in most scenarios but should be taken care of eventually.

The FWD is a potential red flag that there was transmission trouble, but as nikfu said, some of those symptoms could be low fluid. A transmission swap (either with any later model 94-97 Outback or Legacy 2.5L auto 4EAT or even 5mt swap with any late model subaru) has proven to be a tried and true method with positive results.

Good luck if you do decide to purchase it, but there is a large wealth of information and very supportive community to help keep these things on the road.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 06-20-2008, 06:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I would hold out for another SVX unless the price is right.
Check the For Sale thread on the forum. You might find a nice SVX there if you do not decide to purchase this one.

To me, that price is much too high for the problems that this car seems to have.

Good luck!
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 06-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

Welcome! It's to bad your first experience wasn't a shining one with the SVX. They're really great cars, but there's potential to have a lot go wrong with them. As heavy as the car is, rotor warpage is not uncommon. If you get new pads, I'd reccomend the ceramic pads, they are much less dusty, have good stoping power, and good life. Getting the motor resealed can be a timely job, and if you don't do it yourself, can be very pricy. If the shell is good, I'd go $1700~, with full intensions of having the motor and trans resealed/rebuilt/replaced right off the bat. Once that's done, it sounds like it would be a rather solid car. Good luck!
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 08:00 AM

Ebay Item number: 180254282619
Old 06-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Look at the Laguna Blue 5spd for sale in here. Its a southern car and shouldn't have the rust issues of nearly all northern cars. Not that the SVX is prone to rusting, but as a minimum all underneath bolts are a PITA to work with on the northern cars. As with all cars, if not taken car of and washed regularly during the northern snows you know what happens.

I agree it sounded like you drove a $1500-1900 car depending on the final assessment of the tranny.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE