Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-19-2008, 08:31 AM

Newbie Questions...

Hey to all you svx lovers. I really want to get an svx, and i can get my hands on one, but i have a few questions first.

1- Is it more expensive to maintain an svx, than an average subaru?

2- What are major problems that go wrong with the svx?

3- Is 107K miles a lot for the price of $4995?

4- How many stares do you get as you are driving?

5- Last but not least, How is the performance? (Handling, Hp, AWD)?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Re: Newbie Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6talian View Post
Hey to all you svx lovers. I really want to get an svx, and i can get my hands on one, but i have a few questions first.

1- Is it more expensive to maintain an svx, than an average subaru?

2- What are major problems that go wrong with the svx?

3- Is 107K miles a lot for the price of $4995?

4- How many stares do you get as you are driving?

5- Last but not least, How is the performance? (Handling, Hp, AWD)?
1. Yes
2. Tranny, wheel bearings, brakes, rotors, engine seals
3. Depends what kind of shape its in, but if it's in pretty good shape I would say 5000 is reasonable for 107k.
4. Lots...we get that WTF? look
5. Handling is supurb, 0-60 is not that great but it's pimp tight on the top end. The FWD out preforms the AWD by just a hair, its lighter.

Just my 2cents
Old 06-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownbot View Post
1. Yes
2. Tranny, wheel bearings, brakes, rotors, engine seals
3. Depends what kind of shape its in, but if it's in pretty good shape and year. I would say 5000 is reasonable for 107k.
4. Lots...we get that WTF & JMJ ? look
5. Handling is supurb, 0-60 is not that great but it's pimp tight on the top end. The FWD out preforms the AWD by just a hair, its lighter.

Just my 2cents
Hmmm, minor adjustments

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX

if the car is in perfect operating condition,and has been well kept, the price is good. Im going to say that an svx is just as costly to maintain as any other 16 year old subaru, if you can get one that HAS been maintained properly up to this point. if this car happens to be one of those, jump on it. It will last you quite a long time

performance wise, the acceleration is up to par or slightly better than most modern mom-mobils, and the handeling is great. The suspension is set up perfectly for a long cruise down some twisty bumpy roads.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

1- Is it more expensive to maintain an svx, than an average subaru? Parts cost more BUT the body of the SVX is well protected from salt and rust as long as it has been washed off every spring. I think the rust proofing that was done makes it worthwhile.

2- What are major problems that go wrong with the svx? Transmission, wheel bearings some head gaskets BUT my transmission has been my SVX since I got it with 90k. It's got 336k now. Exhaust system could be rusting away

3- Is 107K miles a lot for the price of $4995? Tough question.... year? condition? color? Do you want to drive it or save it for show?

4- How many stares do you get as you are driving? Not many that I see as I am mostly watching the road and not other people.

5- Last but not least, How is the performance? (Handling, Hp, AWD)?[/QUOTE] The SVX is a highway car not meant to be driven under 60mph. The AWD is faster than the FWD. Easy to check take it tothe track, do a AWD run and then put in the FWD fuse and take another run. It is my opinion the FWD is tuned lower than the AWD since all the torque goes thru the front wheels. This gives it a torque steer problem at high horsepower. I get about 27mpg.

I do most of the work myself and get parts from a slavage yard to keep the cost down.