Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

PC SSD's

Hello does anyone here have any experience with SSD's (solid state drives)? I'm thinking of upgrading. Right now I have 2 WD 10,000 RPM drives in a RAID 0 and I am very happy with their performance, but I like the idea of SSDs. Although still very pricey, 2008 will yield major advances in all types of FLASH and DRAM drives. Right now you can get an 8G microflash for like $80. In March, an 12G will be released so things are looking good for this technology. Bitmicro already has a 1.6TB SSD.

What do you think?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:18 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Flash drives huh? They'd be smokin fast, but darned sensitive to power fluctuations. I'd try one, but back it up with a good ole disk drive...just in case. Are these chainable like SATA, or (ack) SCSI?
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
The question is how fast can you go before you don't notice an increase. I found the jump from 7200 RPM to 10,000 RPM incredible. I'd take crazyhorses advice and back it up. If you do go with it can the rest of the system keep up? Here are the advantages and Disadvantages here. This might help some.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Network Design Administrator

We recently compared two laptops at work. One had a regular HD and the other had a SSD.

They were comparable in many benchmarks, but surprisingly the regular HD outpreformed the SSD in 2 or 3 tests, like sequential write speeds.

If you want, I will try and get the numbers, but I remember it wasnt even close.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Locker Link Solution

good to know... I was thinking of puting a SSD in the SVX after having a cop follow me out of the gas station the other day... had to wait for the carputer to boot before I had a speedo
...perhaps I'll just get another speed sensor
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
We recently compared two laptops at work. One had a regular HD and the other had a SSD.

They were comparable in many benchmarks, but surprisingly the regular HD outpreformed the SSD in 2 or 3 tests, like sequential write speeds.

If you want, I will try and get the numbers, but I remember it wasnt even close.
Wow I have heard that as well. Maybe as far as DRAM drives this technology is still in its infancy stage. Maybe I'll just add one or two more WD raptor drives and a kick-ass RAID controller card...hmmm..My PC is pretty much insane now already. My BIOS takes longer to boot than Windows XP itself, but if I had three or four dives??? And actually I think I would miss the grinding sound of my 10,000RPM'ers!!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownbot View Post
Wow I have heard that as well. Maybe as far as DRAM drives this technology is still in its infancy stage. Maybe I'll just add one or two more WD raptor drives and a kick-ass RAID controller card...hmmm..My PC is pretty much insane now already. My BIOS takes longer to boot than Windows XP itself, but if I had three or four dives??? And actually I think I would miss the grinding sound of my 10,000RPM'ers!!
lol I have one and never hear it except when I put it under alot of load.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 PM

10000 rpm drives

My last machine had a pair of SCSI 10,000 rpm drives. They screamed (literally), but when I built my current machine, I went with SATA drives which are quieter and seem to be just as fast. As far as going with solid state on a laptop, I think the capacity problem will strike first. Maybe a hybrid system will work, a solid drive for what you're working on NOW, with a SATA as a backup system for long term storage. Otherwise, the drives can eat you out of house and home. I'm looking at solid state for a video camera, but even there, I'm sticking with MiniDV tapes for reasons of expense and convenience.
Just my thoughts on the subject, for what they're worth.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri