How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM

For Irishmade

Irishmade,
Did you ever figure out what was causing the stuttering problem. My 94 LS is doiung the exact same thing.

Thanks,

Trey
Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post
Im having the same problem. New timing, new angle sensors, new plugs. Im down to either the coils, or maybe the MAF is alittle dirty. I hope to get it figured out soon, I hate sputtering away from a stop light......

Dustin
Dustin's issue was two coil packs were bad. He was having a similar issue to Irishmade and I gave him 2 spare new coil packs - car immediately ran better. Now his car sounds really smooth. So I would highly suggest checking those and cleaning the MAF never hurts.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 03-26-2008, 10:41 PM

I havent gotten the time to check out the sputtering problem yet...been trying to get my bike ready 4 summer. My MAF is brand new. I'll check out the coil packs. Is there a way to check them or is it just the gamble of buying more and hoping for the best?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmade View Post
I havent gotten the time to check out the sputtering problem yet...been trying to get my bike ready 4 summer. My MAF is brand new. I'll check out the coil packs. Is there a way to check them or is it just the gamble of buying more and hoping for the best?
Have you checked your engine codes? That would be the easiest way to discover if something is wrong.. Also have you recently replaced all your spark plugs? this would be the start to checking your coil packs - and its cheaper than 1 coil pack. Another option is having your fuel injector rails cleaned by an automotive shop(cost me locally, $55 I think).
Otherwise.. a way to check your coil packs: when your engine is idling rough, unplug the connection/plug attached to each fuel injector, one at a time. If you notice that the engine idles rougher when you unplug an injector, then that coil pack is good. If your idle does not change at all, then that cyclinder is not firing properly and the coil pack may be bad.
Do this for all 6 injectors, making note of which cyclinders are not firing properly. (Also, you could have an intermittent problem which would mean that you might want to double check yourself incase more than one is misfiring.)
hope this helps.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 PM

I havent checked the codes yet. I'll have to get it over to the shop and take the time to go through everything thoroughly. May be a good job for this sunday. I'll let you guys know what I find out. My engine light has never come on though. Does that matter?