Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-05-2007, 08:40 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I wish I had a camera

Earlier tonight, I was out driving to pick up some stuff for my floor's competition. It snowed about 4 inches today and I had to go to somebody's house to pick up some stuff. Insert here a steep unplowed hill with a narrow road going up it made of gravel. At first I thought I might have some issues because my car doesn't exactly have tires that are good for snow. However, I just put the transmission in 3 and just started up the hill. Several places I hit pot holes (I was going slowly though) and I drug bottom a few places too. Needless to say, once I reached the top, I was surprised that I was even there and that I hadn't gotten stuck. I think the person whose house I was at was surprised even more by the fact that a sports car, not a 4x4 was sitting in their snow-covered drive way (I know the guy who rode shotgun was - "I thought you said you have a 4x4? Yeah, it's all wheel drive...")

I just wanted to mention how proud I was of my car. I've traversed treacherous conditions before with AWD cars, but I don't think that I've ever done something as difficult as that hill. Even with bad tires I still managed to plow through snow and not get stuck. Just a tribute to the SVX's awesome drivetrain and traction.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi

Last edited by Manarius; 12-05-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
I'm getting my first taste of the SVX's snow capabilities. Unfortunately I was driving the Taurus (SVX had a bum alt) when we got 1+ foot of snow this weekend, but I'll have a better chance to test it out soon I hope.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 PM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
You don't even want to know what craziness I was able to get through in my SVX. With bald summer tires at that.

Over here in Wisconsin we've been getting hammered with snow. Ice storm last saturday, another 4 inches tuesday, lookin at 5 more inches tonight, and supposedly straight blizzard conditions for the whole weekend.

I've been having a lot of fun "backing into" corners around the city with all this silly snow. Also I was rear ended once, slid into a couple guard rails, and regularly bottom out on this stiff deep snow. No body damage, just a few scratches. This thing is a tank.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Scratched Silver Metallic
213,000mi

"Hey what's that green power light mean?"
"It means we're beating that Porsche."
"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 12-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
One time, I took the SVX up to meet some friends at college. On the way there it started snowing, which worried me since I had summer performance tires on. By the time we got there and parked, it was a blizzard.

I was curious though so we went out to an empty parking lot and I tried to get the SVX to misbehave. It just wouldn't. Even on the summer tires, it just went where you told it.

Love ya, Subaru. Good job.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:58 PM

Haha, know how that goes.
theres a hill around here everyone has problems with.
4X4 trucks were getting stuck and everything.
after about a foot of snow in 4 hours and no plows.
I made it up the hill by throwing in 2nd and just touching the throttle. lost traction a little once but regained almost instantly.
i did notice tho, the rear end slides out easy?
thought we were more front based AWD?
1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
Old 12-07-2007, 03:38 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife View Post
Haha, know how that goes.
theres a hill around here everyone has problems with.
4X4 trucks were getting stuck and everything.
after about a foot of snow in 4 hours and no plows.
I made it up the hill by throwing in 2nd and just touching the throttle. lost traction a little once but regained almost instantly.
i did notice tho, the rear end slides out easy?
thought we were more front based AWD?
All factors being equal, our transmissions are front-biased. But if you're in a low-traction situation, it'll most likely want to be in 50/50.

I drove an old automatic '95 Legacy sedan on a seasonally closed road once (accidentally; didn't know it was closed) in the winter. When I found myself on a non-plowed, unclear path, I thought, "Oh crap, I won't be able to cross." I had never driven an AWD before at this point. But aside from losing a little traction in corners, I was able to traverse the path at about 10 MPH without a fuss. I felt like some kind of rally driver afterwards, and I've never gone back from AWD since.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Earlier tonight, I was out driving to pick up some stuff for my floor's competition. It snowed about 4 inches today and I had to go to somebody's house to pick up some stuff. Insert here a steep unplowed hill with a narrow road going up it made of gravel. At first I thought I might have some issues because my car doesn't exactly have tires that are good for snow. However, I just put the transmission in 3 and just started up the hill. Several places I hit pot holes (I was going slowly though) and I drug bottom a few places too. Needless to say, once I reached the top, I was surprised that I was even there and that I hadn't gotten stuck. I think the person whose house I was at was surprised even more by the fact that a sports car, not a 4x4 was sitting in their snow-covered drive way (I know the guy who rode shotgun was - "I thought you said you have a 4x4? Yeah, it's all wheel drive...")

I just wanted to mention how proud I was of my car. I've traversed treacherous conditions before with AWD cars, but I don't think that I've ever done something as difficult as that hill. Even with bad tires I still managed to plow through snow and not get stuck. Just a tribute to the SVX's awesome drivetrain and traction.
Jason, we don't get snow here in Ireland hardly at all, the weather is mild even in winter.

I remember one memorable morning when I had Plum and headed for work by my usually hilly route to avoid traffic. It had frozen over rain in the hills and the roads were like glass, really dangerous, no salt applied.

The SVX was faultless, going up hills or the more dangerous going down the far side with zero slipping. I passed all kinds of vehicles stuck on the ice.

Like you I remember well all these people stuck half way up hills, having glazed the ice with their slipping antics, looking at the SVX burbling past and wondering how a sports car could handle the conditions!

I would love to see how the SVX would cope wearing a set of the tall narrow snow tires the rally guys use. I'll bet it would have fabulous grip!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-07-2007, 05:20 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonSTOP_service View Post
Over here in Wisconsin we've been getting hammered with snow. Ice storm last saturday, another 4 inches tuesday, lookin at 5 more inches tonight, and supposedly straight blizzard conditions for the whole weekend.
Alright, I've heard enough. Packing my bags, moving to Wisconsin.

But it's not just the fact that the SVX is AWD, or properly balanced, but the weight as well. I think that's the main factor that seperates it from other AWD cars. When I took my car out, It felt extremely well balanced. Seating is about mid point between the front and the rear, and there was no excess weight in the back to pull the ass out in a bend, which, every time i broke traction and went to a sideways slide, it was extremely easy to remain in control.

Cheers SVX!
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:31 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
A few years ago I was out taking photos around the woodsy, hilly roads near my house in my 96 Legacy wagon and on one unpaved road there was a Ford Explorer 4X4 on the side of the road. I slipped by him in a very narrow part of the road thinking he was just admiring the scene. I eventually turned back and lo and behold he was still there. I pulled up beside this massive beast that didn't look stuck at all (in fact for Canada there wasn't really that much snow) and asked him if he was actually stuck. He said he was afraid to go any further because he was stuck and didn't want to scratch his brand new explorer. I offered to get in the Explorer and get him out but he said he was going to wait for a tow truck, I just laughed and told him he should have bought a Subaru. He was blocking enough of the road that I had to go off the road to get around him. I blew by him in my little wagon and the last I saw of him was through my rear view window marveling how this little $20,000 red wagon made his big $50,000 sport utility look a little silly. Should a bought a Subaru.
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 12-07-2007, 01:31 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
It's definitely different driving the SVX in poor conditions than my Legacy. My Legacy rode on 70 series tires and a taller frame - it felt considerably less stable than my SVX does. It's almost like driving a blob - it's so heavy it just plants easier than my Legacy did. My Legacy was extremely tail happy, the SVX is not.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-07-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
Alright, I've heard enough. Packing my bags, moving to Wisconsin.

But it's not just the fact that the SVX is AWD, or properly balanced, but the weight as well. I think that's the main factor that seperates it from other AWD cars. When I took my car out, It felt extremely well balanced. Seating is about mid point between the front and the rear, and there was no excess weight in the back to pull the ass out in a bend, which, every time i broke traction and went to a sideways slide, it was extremely easy to remain in control.

Cheers SVX!
That reminds me I had alot of weight in my trunk at the time, so maybe thats why my rear end slid a little bit?
had about 350 pounds extra in trunk. (2 bodies j/k)
1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
Old 12-07-2007, 05:50 PM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
Man it snowed again last night lol. It's so crazy around here. I'm one of like, 4 people who can make it around, which is funny cause I have a sports car.

Anywho, Nomake. Are you sure your SVX is an AWD model? I can get mine to do whatever I want, and I want to slide everywhere and dog walk down straight roads.

What I have a lot of fun doing is just turning hard and mashing the throttle at a stop sign so my car instantly has a 90 degree slide and just kinda go with it. It's awesome.

edit: I see you have a 92, obviously not a front drivey model

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Scratched Silver Metallic
213,000mi

"Hey what's that green power light mean?"
"It means we're beating that Porsche."
"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation

Last edited by nonSTOP_service; 12-07-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
I think the weight is a factor.. my 87 turbowagon (2700 lbs) is VERY tail happy once you get above 55 or so, even with hardly any throttle! I've never had my Legacy in the snow (although my 91 Sedan I used to have did well in mud, as does my 90), and I have yet to have the SVX in any snow...

When I was in Wyoming, my truck saw PLENTY of snow, and it is a BEAST (tips the scales at 7,000 lbs with the canopy) and with the weight of the diesel engine over the front tires (Cummins I-6, 880lbs w/out accessories) it plants and goes, I never had a problem with it, never got stuck or anything, and I did some pretty gnarly wheelin with it when I lived there, and it doesn't even have that meaty of tires on it, they're all-season tires, and the tread's fairly deep, but it doesn't have the big off-road lugs...
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 12-08-2007, 05:13 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonSTOP_service View Post
Anywho, Nomake. Are you sure your SVX is an AWD model? I can get mine to do whatever I want, and I want to slide everywhere and dog walk down straight roads.
Yes, I'm sure it's an AWD model. They didn't make FWD in 1992. But what I meant was that I couldn't get the car to get completely out of control. I could get it to slide a bit, but it would always go where I pointed it. At no time in that lot did I feel that I was not in control. That's what I meant. I mean, they were summer tires... I shouldn't have had any traction at all!
Old 12-08-2007, 05:58 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
First SVX snow for me.

This is exactly why in NJ and Colorado you see a higherpercentage. People with money but also needing to drive in snow. Anywho yes AWD is almost way better in snow than 4x4 due to better power distribution when it counts. I just this week have been able to test the SVX in snow. Only around 4-6 inches here on monday but I leave for work at 5am. Plows were just getting around to most places. Oh and I had my Toyo Proxxie 4's on. I'v been having an issue with 1 tire's pressure cause I messed up the bead seal. So Wednesday in 22 degree weather back on went the stockies. I have to say though I felt more in control in the Impreza though. Shorter wheel base and higher off the ground(if i raise the coilovers) seemed to work better, but yeah the SVX is a tank. Finally a use for our OVER weight. One last note. I was first in the parking lot at work ^^ AWD DONUTS! Which 3rd Manual doesn't like to let you do. Wow that grips well like that.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis