Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Tom:

I'm off to Dubai, then Istanbul, and then to San Francisco. Trying to make my carbon footprint as large as possible. Please let me know the shipping charge and also the upcharge for the CAI. I'll Paypal you. thanks.

Dan

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 01-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I want your job.... Dubai was amazing!!!

I graduate in May if there are any openings.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 01-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Tom,
What do you do with the vacuum lines that are on the standard intake plenum? I did not see any leads for hoses. Can they safely be simply blocked off, or do you have an alternative location for them? Or is there an inlet that i don't see?
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
they are made of mild steel as it is the cheapest and easiest material to make them out of. Yes I did have to order those couplers but its still a bit of a tight fit on the TB's. We will see how many of these we can produce and no, there is no jig its all on-car fitment

Tom
Well, any chance you can tell me where you got the couplers from? I'm fairly handy with a welder and have done many things like this before. I may just give it a shot too...

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
Tom,
What do you do with the vacuum lines that are on the standard intake plenum? I did not see any leads for hoses. Can they safely be simply blocked off, or do you have an alternative location for them? Or is there an inlet that i don't see?
I 2nd that question...

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Maniac modifier

they are welded out of view on the underside of the collector just to look more appealing.

The collectors were found on ebay and I bought them in bulk from the suppliers to get a decent price... The hardest thing and most expensive thing you NEED to get is the donuts. The mandrel bends you can find are too wide a radius to use for this application (firewall clearance) so I had to source 2.5" radius donuts. They are tough to find and come to think of it.... I would need to dig for the receipt to remember where I got them... Then there is the challenge of cutting them. It is no easy task so be sure you are up to the challenge

Tom
Old 01-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Tom:

I'm off to Dubai, then Istanbul, and then to San Francisco. Trying to make my carbon footprint as large as possible. Please let me know the shipping charge and also the upcharge for the CAI. I'll Paypal you. thanks.

Dan
Dan, as of now there is no upcharge for the filters, I promised them at that price and I will stick to it... Just gotta tell me if you would rather the HKS or stick with the green filters

Tom
Old 01-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Got mine today, haven't had a chance to put it in yet. But THANK YOU!!!

VERY EXCITED!!!

THANKS!
-Sov13t.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Maniac modifier

you are very welcome. For the others, waiting on the rest of the CAI parts to ship yours out

Tom
Old 01-09-2008, 10:43 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
Prepare for technical babble:
I just wanted to say that this write-up was excellent. Thanks for the pics vs stock vs it being in the engine bay. This intake looks to build upon what Tom may have wanted to do better with mine (looks to be equal length, doesn't interfere with the ignitor, hooks up to the stock box, etc). Kudos for Tom for making something unique.

Looking for more feedback and thoughts on performance, timeslips, dynos, track, sound, etc...in another thread. I hope everyone likes it.

I personally think that the longer tubing will allow for slightly better midrange torque since air velocity will really have a chance to pickup before entering the throttle body. Nothing technical here, just my thoughts.

Good luck to all with the intakes. I know mine is a keeper! I still have some testing to do. All is not conclusive....yet. ***Going back into the shadows***
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
Tom, I check this site once in a blue moon, can you put me on your list? I have the $$$ and whatnot.
I will send you a PM with my phone number if that is easier to setup with that rather then online.
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Installed mine on Saturday.

Time consumed: 2h

Notes: It is a tight fit indeed, I had to wrestle with it for a little bit, ended up removing the igniter control unit (hope I am correct... and that is indeed what it is called) and then modifying its bracket so that it allowed everything to fit perfectly. I did go ahead and put clamps/rings (once again my terminology is lacking here) on the silicone adapters and throttle body, I really thought I was gonna give up on trying to push them through the very narrow opening between the two.

Observations: My air intake is a notch louder... especially if I open the inner fender and stand next to it you can really hear it. Response to the gas pedal is way smoother, which greatly helps shifting. I would like to do a dyno before my next big project but I have never done one and wouldn't know where to go, so perhaps will try to make a "dyno meet" if there is one coming up in the near future.

That is all from me, once again thank you Tom and everyone else who has worked on this.

-Sov13t.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:36 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
I did go ahead and put clamps/rings (once again my terminology is lacking here) on the silicone adapters and throttle body, I really thought I was gonna give up on trying to push them through the very narrow opening between the two. -Sov13t.
My advice to anyone else that will attempt to put clamp rings around the silicone couplings that connect to the the throttle bodies. Once you have both silicone connectors covering each throttle body, apply only one clamp around one silicone connector. Tighten this clamp around the silicone connector on the throttle body. THEN, apply the 2nd clamp to the other silicone connector on the other throttle body. The space in between the two is that tight believe it or not. Once I kept changing the intakes to find the most efficient route to change them, this way worked quickly every time.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
crap...I should have probably posted installation instructions...a little late is better than never though, right?

You'll want to have some penetrating oil (wd-40) handy to ease installation. Make sure whatever you use evaporates quickly, and doesnt leave an oily residue, just in case.

1: remove the old intake plenum.
2: spray the couplers with penetratingoil, inside and out, and slip onto the throttle bodies
3: slide clamps over the couplers
4: slip the new untake un from the passenger side, under the throttle cable, and line the two tubes up with the couplers. rotate into place. pull the itake ito the couplers as far as it will go
5: put the elbow onto the mas air flow sensor / top of the air box, short side to the maf, long side to the intake
6: spray the inside of the elbow with penetrating oil, and slip onto the collector perpendicular to the way it will eventually rest (the air box should be sticking up at you
7: rotate the airbox lid down into place. Make any needed adjustments to the position of the intake, and clamp down
8: attach new vacuume lines to the intake. The T gets the lines coming from each vale cover, the large nipple gets the idle air controll line, and the other two are for the crank case vent and the cold idle air controll

I apologize in advance for the tight fitment with the intake seated right, it SHOULD clear the ignitor on the firewall...but if it doesnt, I reccomend simply relocating it.Im going to try installing the intake onto MY car, rather than the restoration job we used to mock everything up to see if there's anything on our end that can be done to provide better clearance for the next batch. Im not sure, but perhaps the fender cai is causing some fitment issues...
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 PM

Where did you guys get the Y collectors that connect the two smaller pipes and the one larger one?

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!