Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-14-2007, 10:20 AM

Anyone interested in tubular headers?

I have received a few PM's about making some after posting pictures of the headers I made for my EG33 powered 911. Pictures can be seen here...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39188

They use 1 5/8 primaries, into a 2 inch slip collector flared out to 2 1/2 and a v-band flange. These would be prefect for high performance NA engines, and supercharged engines. There would be no previsions for emissions controls.

Now for the important part. PRICE. Custom, hand fabricated parts take a lot of time to build properly. The price would probably be about $1000 with ceramic coating. I would need a minimum of 10 orders at that price. There is one catch though. I would need a local AZ person to "donate" their car so I could make the first set (I don't currently own an SVX). There might even be a discount given to said volunteer

Anyway, respond here if this is something you think you might be interested in so I can get an idea if this a project I should pursue. Please hold your comments if you feel like the price is too high. I work in the automotive performance industry so I know a thing or two about how long things take, and what things cost. Trust me, that price is more than fair for such a limited quantity item.

Last edited by kcpaz; 07-14-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Sounds like a fair price to me. I can't dedicate myself right now, But count me as interested.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Nice price, especially since those slip collectors probably run around $300 for a pair. Who'd you end up getting them from? Did you use 304 SS?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-14-2007, 08:41 PM

that's a secret I have a lot of secret sources that I've aquired from years of experience and research. Using stainless would greatly increase costs. Stainless is harder to cut, more complicated to weld (you have to back-gas the bead) and obviously the material is more expensive.

Last edited by kcpaz; 07-14-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz
that's a secret I have a lot of secret sources that I've aquired from years of experience and research. Using stainless would greatly increase costs. Stainless is harder to cut, more complicated to weld (you have to back-gas the bead) and obviously the material is more expensive.
Plenty of suppliers out there . Burns Stainless has merge collectors in 304 for $263 each. SPD Exhaust also carries some very nice pieces for around the same price. 304 isn't all that bad if you've got a "TIG master" doing your welding
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Plenty of suppliers out there . Burns Stainless has merge collectors in 304 for $263 each. SPD Exhaust also carries some very nice pieces for around the same price. 304 isn't all that bad if you've got a "TIG master" doing your welding
-Bill
Yes but you still need to back gas the bead while you weld it like he said... Thats gonna take a lot of time and a fair amount of argon for each bead... Its a good idea but aluminized is probobly the safest bet.

Tom
Old 07-14-2007, 11:22 PM

aluminized is not a good choice. The aluminized coating has to be grinded off for welding (just like galvanized coating) if you want to do it right. Even if you do use aluminized tubes, you will have to get it removed (acid stiripped?) before ceramic coating. If you just rely on the aluminized finish for corrosion resistance, it will quickly fail...especially on headers. Plus, the weld areas won't have any corrosion protection. It's either stainless or ceramic coated mild steel if you want to do it right.

As far as using stainless... I would only spend the extra money if I was making a header for turbo applications. Other than that, I think it is a waste of money...especially for a street car. On a race car where EGT's are higher for extended periods of time I can see it, but there is no horsepower gain in a street car.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:40 AM

Registered SVX
they look real nice and i would like some BUT i cant afford any thing like that ay
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 07-15-2007, 01:42 AM
Maniac modifier

I understand that but aluminized is also much easier to find... I guess you could find mild steel as well but I didn't bother to look... Anyway, I hope u can get these started... I know for a fact just how hard they are to make on your own and svxfiles does too... Good luck and I hope you can get the order filled... U know I had people complaining that 1500 was way too much for a set not too long ago... now 1000 its just the right price with 10 orders Good luck and thanks for opening another door for the aftermarket of the SVX

Tom
Old 07-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Banned

I'd be interested in one, but only after some dyno tests that show the results. Sorry dude.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to Guyver280z
Wow, they look awesome, Im just wondering if they will really increase the flow, since the stock manifolds seem pretty unobstructed.

Im in Phoenix AZ, you can use my car.... I guess I can get a better price right??
Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 PM

I doubt there will be enough intrest in these to start making them. It was a nice thought though
Old 07-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz
I doubt there will be enough intrest in these to start making them. It was a nice thought though
You'd have to prove they flow better and make more power than stock before anybody will put up money for them.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Maniac modifier

his headers are going to be very similar to mine. They flow so much better, that coupled with a bigger exhaust my s/c car dropped over a half second in the 1/4 mile. This gain was due to the restrictive design of the stock manifold and I needed something more. They are worth it... but only if you are going to be doing work that requires more flow in the future

Tom
Old 07-19-2007, 09:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to Guyver280z
Im deffinetly going to supercharge or turbo my car, but first I have to finish my 280Z project. But I deffinetly want to put money on the SVX. and I deffinetly would like those headers, even if they dont give me that much power, there is no doubt they will flow way better than the stock ones.

Headers FTW!!