Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-18-2007, 04:52 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Cross-country Trip

Well... I'm taking the SVX across the country this Friday. Moving from NY to Sourthern California. My dad's done tons of such trips, and I've done two (though I didn't drive on either), so we both pretty much know what to bring along.

But I was wondering if any of you guys had suggestions to cover the "just in case" factor with using an SVX for this journey. So far I've got a spare, lug wrench, jack, 10mm wrench, screwdrivers and fuses.

Anything else that'd be good to have "just in case?"
Old 06-18-2007, 06:05 AM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
Well... I'm taking the SVX across the country this Friday. Moving from NY to Sourthern California. My dad's done tons of such trips, and I've done two (though I didn't drive on either), so we both pretty much know what to bring along.

But I was wondering if any of you guys had suggestions to cover the "just in case" factor with using an SVX for this journey. So far I've got a spare, lug wrench, jack, 10mm wrench, screwdrivers and fuses.

I'd advise carrying more than 'A' wrench. I have a small metric set that I keep with the spare, better safe than sorry.

This time of year the desert is going to be NASTY I'd advise you keep some extra (pre mixed) coolant on hand, and just a big jug o water. I drove through the Mojave once in the middle of july (not in an SVX) and every time it got close to overheating, I'd just pull over, and dump water on the radiator. Worked great. (that was in a RX7, so as you can imagine, I needed to do it A LOT lol)

Oh yeah, a small camera. You never know what you're going to see on the road.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Scratched Silver Metallic
213,000mi

"Hey what's that green power light mean?"
"It means we're beating that Porsche."
"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 06-18-2007, 06:47 AM

I second the jug of pre-mixed coolant and gallon or two or ten of drinking water. Also a couple of quarts each of engine oil and transmission fluid, along with a few feet of ATF hose coiled in the wheel of the spare. This in addition to a basic roadway kit: Flashlights, tarp, bailing wire, duct tape, fix-a-flat, bandages and aspirin, cigarette lighter, bungee cords, and a handy length of lead pipe for leverage on the lug wrench or other matters of persuasion.

dcb
Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 AM

Actually nomake, why don't you go ahead and install a hitch on that SVX, and just pull a spare car behind ya. That would truly be optimal.

213,000mi

"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 06-18-2007, 07:30 AM

Oh, I forgot brake fluid, spare belts, a spark plug or two...

Maybe you can tell I've been driving old cars for 30+ years.

dcb
Old 06-18-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
Oh, I forgot brake fluid, spare belts, a spark plug or two...

Maybe you can tell I've been driving british cars for 30+ years.

dcb
FIXED lol

Not really, since I see no mg's on that list. But we all know how it works. Granted I didn't see anything about a Lucas smoke repair kit.

213,000mi

"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 06-18-2007, 08:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
AAA membership, cell phone, extra fluids, and hoses and good old duct tape. I never leave home without the duct tape. Awesome stuff.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 AM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
One of the best things you could do is do a once over on everything and replace worn out hoses and other such consumable parts.

BTW... where in Socal are you moving to?
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
I'm talking about the car, guys. Of course I'm bringing a camera.

wannarace: AAA and cell phone, check.

Replacement coolant and ATF... I'll add those to my list. I have a spare belt, so that's covered...

Great suggestions so far.

gest24: Orange, the city.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
mmmm...a few towels. that way, if you break, you can use them to lay under the car with (Better than laying of dirt) use them to soak up splled fluids..and if the towel is big enough, it can double as a blanket for if you get stuck sleeping in the car. OR, you can make a tent out of a few towels and soem sticks if you get stuck sleeping in...not the car...
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan

Sockets & wrenches:8,10,12,14,17,19,22 MM
phillips and straight screwdrivers
Budfreaks phone number

See you on the 22nd.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Retired

Seeya on the 22nd, Budfreak.

Eric: I always always always keep a large blanket in my car just in case. Have since I owned the Legacy. Has come in quite handy.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Old Guy

I'd get my car in good shape and forget about breakdowns. If all you do is worry about breaking down you can't enjoy the trip. Instead, why don't you plot out your trip on a map, then go to the map of members on this site and make note of who lives where along that route. I'll bet you will never be far from a member. PM these members and let them know when you will likely be passing their way. If you do run into trouble, give the closest member a call and I'd bet help would be on the way. Fresh fluids, full tank of good quality gasoline, proper tire inflation, music of your choice on-hand, non-alcoholic liquids to drink, major credit card (not maxed out) and your list of members on a map of your route - enjoy the trip.
Preston
Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides
Fresh fluids, full tank of good quality gasoline, proper tire inflation, music of your choice on-hand, non-alcoholic liquids to drink, major credit card (not maxed out) and your list of members on a map of your route - enjoy the trip.
Preston
Fluids: Check
Full Tank of 93: Check
Proper Inflation (and gauge): Check
Music: Check check check (love that iPod adapter)
Liquids: Check
Credit: Triple-check
Map: Check

We pick up the route from AAA tomorrow. When I find out the exact route I'll post it up and hopefully people can help me fill in the guys who live nearby just in case.

That said, the car is solid right now. It's not leaking, it's not doing weird crap, it's getting 17 MPG city... it seems to be in good shape. We should be good, but caution is better than recklessness.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:16 PM

If you have jumper cables, you might want to bring them along too, just in case. I've never actually needed them on any of my cross country trips, though. The only time my (other) SVX broke down on one of these journeys was due to an electrical problem. The electronics went wacky, the car died, and smoke came from the vicinity of the battery, which was found to be bad. (AAA can have a 3 or more hour lag time in some places.) Once the still-in-warranty battery was replaced, all external lights but the headlights also burned out in succession. Then a week later back home, the alternator went. So there's a bit of a chicken-and-egg conundrum there.