Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-16-2007, 09:39 AM
SVX owner wannabe

Short vent

Here are the cliffs:

Put a new authentic (PFRP) CWEST front bumper cover on my RSX about a month ago at a cost of $1550 CDN (there was some customization involved) out of my own pocket.

2 weeks ago a technician from my dealership was driving my car while it was in for service for the day and rear ended somebody. The car came back with damage to the front bumper was restricted to between the headlights. My car was also returned with the gas gauge not working at all.

Last week while I was in the orthodontist's office a young girl backed into the drivers side of the same front bumper. The damage was all done about 20 inches away from the previous damage, so they are not even related.

Now it's a fight as to who is going to pay what. I insisted for a replacement bumper and was flatly refused by both insurance companies because the damage in all can be fixed for $1100.

What sucks is that I refuse to put on my 1 month old bumper back on my baby with all that bodywork out of principle and because I don't think it will last with our extreme changes in temperature. So I'm going to end up having to fork out close to $400 out of my own pocket to get me back to where I was a month ago. This is totally unfair!

Anyone else go through this type of bull****? I thought when the damage was not your fault, that you could get your car fixed the way you wanted and not have the insurance company dictate to you what they will pay--I guess I was completely wrong! To think that we all pay such high insurance premiums while insurance companies are recording record profits to be treated this way is scandalous!

P.S. Don't even talk about getting a lawyer because they charge so much that it wouldn't make sense to involve one.

Last edited by fasdude; 05-16-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:08 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
The insurance company will choose what is more convenient for them to pay us. Our car's book value is low, so they won't spend a lot on replacement parts. That is why I dropped full coverage. The money I save on insurance can be used on future damage repairs.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Hater

if you re-arrange the letters in "RSX", you have "SRX", which may or may not be close enough to "SVX" to warrant the thread being posted in this forum.

i'm too tired to decide either way right now.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
if you re-arrange the letters in "RSX", you have "SRX", which may or may not be close enough to "SVX" to warrant the thread being posted in this forum.

i'm too tired to decide either way right now.
Moved............
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:41 PM

I think I'd be talking to the dealership with a lawyer in tow. They should have had to replace the entire bumper anyway so they should at least cover the $400.00 the insurance company won't. I'd also try to figure some way that the insurance and/or the dealership cover the lawyer fees.

ZcarGuy

73 Datsun 240Z, GM LT1 (274 rwhp, 307 ft/lbs torque), GM 5-Speed, LSD (The Beast)
93 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible. Mostly Stock (The PussyCat)
92 Teal LS-L SVX. Project, when completed will be sold.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:37 PM
SVX owner wannabe

Whoops, sorry for posting in the wrong section. Thanks for moving this thread.

As for insurance companies, they just never lose. In my province, NB, when car insurance was getting way out of control, they even got the government to put a cap of $2500 on soft tissue injury claims.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:40 PM
SVX owner wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
The insurance company will choose what is more convenient for them to pay us. Our car's book value is low, so they won't spend a lot on replacement parts. That is why I dropped full coverage. The money I save on insurance can be used on future damage repairs.
You know that logic makes complete sense to me. I'll probably do that when my car is paid off within the next month or so.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasdude
You know that logic makes complete sense to me. I'll probably do that when my car is paid off within the next month or so.
If you make 'mods' to your car, take it to YOUR agent and document the mods! Then you at least have a fighting chance of getting the mods covered! Otherwise, the insurance co is dealing with a 'stock' car and prices the 'damages' accordingly.
As far as the insurance co's and dealers are concerned, a 'mod' LOWERS the value, unless you can prove otherwise.

Been there, done that!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 05-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Some isurance companies are complete jerks to body shops as well.the insurance company usually dosnt want to pay for something if they can in any way justify doing so. They're also the ones responsible for the parts that go on a repair job as well....So if they dnt feel like paying for the genuine part...they'll pay for a cheap-o knock off, or worse yet, a used part.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-18-2007, 07:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to UPnorth362
In the US at least, you have the right to ask for genuine factory replacement parts, and the insurance company must comply. It sucks if you don't have your after market parts listed with your insurance agent. they don't have to replace the after market parts if they don't feel like it. As for what happened at the dealership, They are obligated to replace, or repair any damage not caused by repair. I too agree get a lawyer, or have one at least call them. They will pay Make sure you get pics, and retain any paper work that states they caused the damage. If you don't have any proof they did the damage, you are screwed.
Good luck, And be prepared. These things can drag on forever.
IT'S 5:00 SOMEWHERE!!!

92 Liquid Silver SVX LS-L

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: