IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Student arrested for making a map of his school

What's going on America? (or should I be specific and say Texas, for they have been on the warpath recently)

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/02/st...of-his-school/

Quote:
A Chinese student was removed from Clements High School in Fort Bend, Texas after parents complained he had re-created the school grounds in a game and uploaded the map for his friends to play. The boy was placed in the district's alternate education school and later arrested, as the police considered him a "terroristic threat".
http://www.fortbendnow.com/news/2847...er-pc-game-map

Quote:
“They arrested him,” Chen said of FBISD police, “and also went to the house to search.” The Lin family consented to the search, and a hammer was found in the boy’s room, which he used to fix his bed, because it wasn’t in good shape, Chen said. He indicated police seized the hammer as a potential weapon.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 05-02-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
What's going on America? (or should I be specific and say Texas, for they have been on the warpath recently)

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/02/st...of-his-school/

http://www.fortbendnow.com/news/2847...er-pc-game-map

yeah i saw that earlier today and i thought it was lame. do you know how many kids make maps of their schools/universities for games? tons.

while they're at it, they should arrest every single person that buys microsoft's flight simulator.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Oh dear God do you know how many peopel cud b lerning 2 fli plainz????

We could have a plane-flying epidemic on our handsu.

I've been reading the comments and it seems the rabbit holes goes deeper than what you'd assume from the title and initial story.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 05-02-2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelled "intial" wrong. ... sh*t. I suck at typing. :(
Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Oh dear God do you know how many peopel cud b lerning 2 fli plainz????

We could have a plane-flying epidemic on our handsu.

I've been reading the comments and it seems the rabbit holes goes deeper than what you'd assume from the title and intial story.
lol, i figured you'd learn to spell better with the hooked on phonics i sent you.

guess not :P
Old 05-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
And we should just look the other way when people are doing something a little suspicious? After the last few weeks, people are a little more aware of behavior that is not the norm.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 05-02-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele
And we should just look the other way when people are doing something a little suspicious? After the last few weeks, people are a little more aware of behavior that is not the norm.
No, but making a map of the school really isn't that suspicious. It's quite common actually, I've known quite a few people who made maps used in games based off of their school and/or surroundings.

I find it amusing that they confiscated the hammer found in his bedroom because it could potentially be a weapon of choice for killing people by students.

Equally amusing was that they put him into an alternative school (probably a reject school) and won't let him walk with his class for graduation.

This whole affair is Mickey Mouse in my opinion. If that kid didn't fit into that 'VT Killer/Columbine Killer' profile, he may have to reconsider.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:02 PM

oh yeah that reminds me. i go to school and i have a claw hammer in my truck. i also typically park in the gbi building. i might have to remove my hammer so they don't arrest me for being a potential loon. if they come search my house, i'm totally screwed.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
FYI map was in circulation 2 months BEFORE VT shootings.

On top of that creating something like this in one's free time is somewhat... tedious.

Thanks. Helps to be informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
lol, i figured you'd learn to spell better with the hooked on phonics i sent you.

guess not :P
I got excited.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 05-02-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
It takes months to make a map in Counter Strike or any game like it, me and my brother made one of our old highschool just because it was a place we saw often and knew where everything was located (and the cafeteria was huge so it made a great place to camp out the enemy). I guess im a terrorist.........someone call the cops on me please. The police should be more worried about the guy in the "castrated" thread then something like this. When will we get our heads back on straight?

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 05-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
oh yeah that reminds me. i go to school and i have a claw hammer in my truck. i also typically park in the gbi building. i might have to remove my hammer so they don't arrest me for being a potential loon. if they come search my house, i'm totally screwed.
I can remember when the school I attended had a 'RIFLE' team! If the ATF would have checked my 64 Buick wagon, I might STILL be in jail! ( using todays standards), I had enough fire-power to slay 1/2 of the graduating class.. But, somehow, The THOUGHT NEVER occured to me!

I recieved a 'questionare' from the school board last month.

I asked that ARMED security be placed in ALL schools, since the only way to STOP a madman with a gun is to SHOOT him! ( dead)

Ted Nugent has the right idea. ( an old Rocker, for the gangsta rap croud)

He says that every (10th) person should be 'deputised' and put through a training course with the weapon of choice and given a 'carry' permit.
Then we would NOT have colin furgisons cross-examining his SURVIVORS on the witness stand in some court house in New York, after he shot 27 people on the train! Odds are, that ONE of the 27, would have been one of the 10, that would have dispatched that MAGGOT when he fired the first round!

As the resident, self proclaimed, REDNECK of this site, I see MERIT in the idea! Look at how many taxpayer, ( which I are one), $$$$$$$$$$$$ would be saved if he would have taken a FATAL round that day of the massacre!

O.K. LIBERALS, convince me that it's better if those poor mis-guided people get 3 hots and a cot, cable TV, and free medical care for years, rather than a 44 MAGNUM round carefully placed between the EYES!

We have a 'FLAME-THROWER" radio show, ( fortunatlly, they only push 25K watts), that 'advised' parents to remove their children from the school when a 'lock-down' happens..
I was INSIDE the school when a 'shooting' happened last week. It was 2 blocks away, and it was between 2 CRACK HEADS.
I think the woman should be sentenced to 40 HOURS on the range, so she can put one through the maggots forehead, instead of the right hand, where the round landed.

This world is getting more 'unpredictable' by the day. I think that anyone that has a brain should ARM themselves. I am sitting next to 5,000 rounds and 9 weapons. I will not go looking for victims, but will use every round to DEFEND my family.

I have a tow dolly, that sits along a busy highway. Noone has tried to steal it because the dolly has a 'RUGER' trigger lock on it. I guess that means that the trigger lock is NOT on the Ruger...... and that assumption is correct! If your Ruger has a trigger lock on it, you are better off with the claw hammer!!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 05-03-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj
It takes months to make a map in Counter Strike or any game like it! Dustin
i agree i too made maps of my old elementary school for CSS and Q2! It does take months; or weeks if you have some help!

[QUOTE=odepaj]It The police should be more worried about the guy in the "castrated" thread then something like this. When will we get our heads back on straight?

i DOUBLE agree!!!!!! No comment on that thread

If he gets a felony for having a hammer in his bedroom, well s**t, i have 2 in my bedroom, 4 and a really really big axe known as a maul in my garage, and 1in my car.... ,,, im d0000med!!!

IT IS JUST A GAME!!!!!! PAINTBALL IS NOT FOR REAL, JUST A REAL LIFE DEATH MATCH THAT IS NOT ONLINE!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
(written after odepaj's comment, though not necessarily directed at him)

I do not think the dateline pedophile needs to be involved with police.

Police action is everyone's answer to everything in this country.

I was even arrested and on probation at the age of 15 because my parents were no good at parenting.
I realize I was somewhat dilinquent, but I never harmed a soul in my entire life. Did I deserve to lose years of what could have been a normal life because my parents let the state persue their interests in discipline, because I was rebellious?
Granted I have turned out to be a fine human being I do not believe it had anything to do with the system.

Perhaps I was humbled, being one of few (or even many?) young people to know what it is like to be under lock and key, supervision, constant analysis, and exile, in the land of the free.

While I am not entirely intersted in divulging my background here I do note that a case like this hits something akin to a central nerve and to see parents and paranoid people alike misuse the "system" rips away at my very essence.

I do not condone a 29 year old man's hunt (probably a bad word choice) for a young partner (gender irrelevant), a minor, however policing an issue like this and throwing the law at everything will not make a problem go away. What the man needs is a stable relationship with someone his age, and maybe a good book to sharpen his mind a bit.
He indeed appears idiotic, but I believe this is due to a lack of maturation. He probably still sees himself as something as a child. God knows my only excuse when I was 12 was "I don't know, I don't know", even when I did know. I was as child and children fear the truth, and is apparent that man is not completely comfortable with the reality that surrounds him.
A rehabilitation of sorts is the answer.

As for the mapper, his family needs to sue the school board as they have certainly harmed his future for potential success and acted upon paranoid suspicion without just cause, and in spite of the dropped charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser
O.K. LIBERALS, convince me that it's better if those poor mis-guided people get 3 hots and a cot, cable TV, and free medical care for years, rather than a 44 MAGNUM round carefully placed between the EYES!
I am a self-proclaimed liberal and I approve of killing people who need to be dead. Does this bake your noodle? (:

Last edited by NikFu S.; 05-03-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:29 AM

Can you say Video Game Programmer of the Year!!!!!! His map(for whatever game it was intended for, and the hammer!) seems like the "game" to play....Hey Texas, just becuase one is Chinese does not mean one is the Virginia crazy mad man!!! I believe these precautions and this scenario is an abusive behavior of racial profiling!! **** Deletes all my games!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Now with more color

Quote:

I was even arrested and on probation at the age of 15 because my parents were no good at parenting.
I realize I was somewhat dilinquent, but I never harmed a soul in my entire life. Did I deserve to lose years of what could have been a normal life because my parents let the state persue their interests in discipline, because I was rebellious?
Granted I have turned out to be a fine human being I do not believe it had anything to do with the system.

Perhaps I was humbled, being one of few (or even many?) young people to know what it is like to be under lock and key, supervision, constant analysis, and exile, in the land of the free.

While I am not entirely intersted in divulging my background here I do note that a case like this hits something akin to a central nerve and to see parents and paranoid people alike misuse the "system" rips away at my very essence.

I do not condone a 29 year old man's hunt (probably a bad word choice) for a young partner (gender irrelevant), a minor, however policing an issue like this and throwing the law at everything will not make a problem go away. What the man needs is a stable relationship with someone his age, and maybe a good book to sharpen his mind a bit.
He indeed appears idiotic, but I believe this is due to a lack of maturation. He probably still sees himself as something as a child. God knows my only excuse when I was 12 was "I don't know, I don't know", even when I did know. I was as child and children fear the truth, and is apparent that man is not completely comfortable with the reality that surrounds him.

As for the mapper, his family needs to sue the school board as they have certainly harmed his future for potential success and acted upon paranoid suspicion without just cause, and in spite of the dropped charges.
A map is not a problem. A map with a 'list', well, that could cause some concern!
I spent 15 years giving up my bed for 'foster' kids that didn't have what I had. I realize that not all troubled youths will become mass murderers. Most of them came out just fine,( as did yourself). My point was AIMED at the 'habitual' offender, that carries his aggressions into the 'adult' years! There is a lot of taxpayer dollars spent on programs to help these people become what is considered 'norm'.
I deal with them everyday in my job. Our latest 'thing' is hauling addicts to 'meth' clinics. The only advantage that I see for most of them is that they won't be breaking into my house to 'finance' the heroin habbit!

An 'issue' came into my world 2 weeks ago, when a 'meth' clinic patron sold the weekend care package to get the real stuff and someone gave the liquid meth to a guy that had been drinking. ( if alcohol is present and liquid meth is introduced, call the UNDERTAKER!
I have known the guys parents since before he was born. I made a trip to their house to allow them a chance to 'VENT' after the funeral.

I asked the ONLY surviving 'addict' that I knew, ( 14 years clean), for his thoughts. He wrote me a 4 page essay.
He said that " the programs are not for the people that NEED them, but for the people that WANT them". That is the 'essance' of the letter.

If anyone would like to read the letter, PM me and I will send a copy. I will remove anything that will disclose the 'source', but the man has a LOT to say about the topic.

Jerry
Old 05-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Now with more color

Quote:

I am a self-proclaimed liberal and I approve of killing people who need to be dead. Does this bake your noodle? (:
NAAA!!! We agree on this one! There have been a lot of topics that we agree on.... are you sure that you are not a 'closet' conservitive!!!????!!!

Jerry