Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 04-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Well it's only been 2 weeks.... ooops, I mean a YEAR and two weeks... Some of those at Reading last year may recall that we had some issues with the clutch not releasing... Tuesday I took the racer down to visit Uncle Tom at All Wheel Drive. I think we may have found the problem;

Ben is taking this to mean that we are making somewhere north of 500 crank hp to be able to crack the pressure plate like that????

While it was there I worked at tightening the exhaust up to the chassis, as the car is somewhat lower than stock, we've had some scraping issues, especially when going on and off the trailer. I had to trim the rear bumper cover a little more, but I probably now have the exhaust 1/2" to 1" higher than it was. Half an inch may not seem like a big deal, but it eliminates having to drive the truck onto ramps to make the transitions onto the trailer smoother.

Tom's Dad stopped by and wondered why I was advertising for someone else's 5 speed kit on the rear bumper, we had to explain that "SVXSpeedshop" was Tom before All Wheel Drive was opened...

Tom also helped us out by doing some welding on the cage;

With the welding that he did, the cage is 90% done. We still need to make a bracket to support the rear of the seat and then paint it.

Much thanks to Tom, Eric and Mike at AWD. A great shop and some great guys. While there I also got to watch Tom working on his intakes and adapting the new design to eliminate dead spots. Also I was able to get covered with dust from Eric working on his front lip.

Last edited by Hocrest; 04-10-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
500 crank?

How about "we heated that sucker up so badly that all of the stress cracks joined"

Seriously, I'm glad to hear it's coming back together! I need to get the name of the place you got the cage kit from so I can order one up for the SVreX II.

Are you going to autoX it at all this year?

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-10-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
500 crank?

How about "we heated that sucker up so badly that all of the stress cracks joined"
You say tomato, we say tomato.... (I guess that expression works best verbally )
Quote:
Seriously, I'm glad to hear it's coming back together! I need to get the name of the place you got the cage kit from so I can order one up for the SVreX II.

Are you going to autoX it at all this year?

-Bill
I still have the business card in my wallet, www.autoweldchassis.com don't hold the website against them
Old 04-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
You say tomato, we say tomato.... (I guess that expression works best verbally )
I still have the business card in my wallet, www.autoweldchassis.com don't hold the website against them
Also I'll get measurements for you on how much bigger you can go sans an interior as ours was measured with. Make for a little more room on the sides. I think we'd have a tough time putting a pass seat in since we pushed it as far to the drivers door as possible.

500whp easy. You don't break your pressure plate in 3 places with anything less!

I'm looking at 3 hillclimbs this year so I get my license!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I must say that those tires look AMAZING for autocrossing..... When you are interested in looking to upgrade them though... Let me know. We are very lucky to have the world's only SVX tire expert still living right here in Massachusetts and I am sure he would be very willing to talk to you about upgrading to the same rolling stock of the Ferrari 579 GTB.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
I must say that those tires look AMAZING for autocrossing..... When you are interested in looking to upgrade them though... Let me know. We are very lucky to have the world's only SVX tire expert still living right here in Massachusetts and I am sure he would be very willing to talk to you about upgrading to the same rolling stock of the Ferrari 579 GTB.
They are amazing for AX. Have you ever seen the narrow tires that the rally cars run in snow and ice?? Same concept here, the ultra skinny tires cut through the loose gravel and dust on the layer of the pavement and get down to the clay layer underneath...
Old 04-10-2008, 09:43 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Bobby you are surely mistaken... the cage inside the racer has altered the weight distribution so it is very similar to the Audi R8. Dave and Ben now need to have 315's for the front and 175's for the rear in order to conpensate for the front weight and rear weight.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Also I'll get measurements for you on how much bigger you can go sans an interior as ours was measured with. Make for a little more room on the sides. I think we'd have a tough time putting a pass seat in since we pushed it as far to the drivers door as possible.

500whp easy. You don't break your pressure plate in 3 places with anything less!

I'm looking at 3 hillclimbs this year so I get my license!
Ben/Dave,
Thanks! So, they'll know what I'm talking about when I call them and say I want a cage like Ben and Dave's, only slightly larger?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Ben/Dave,
Thanks! So, they'll know what I'm talking about when I call them and say I want a cage like Ben and Dave's, only slightly larger?
-Bill
When he measured I think he actually wrote it up as a Subaru ???SVT??? It was something close to SVX but not quite, I corrected him when I saw the mistake, but who knows if he changed his files. I told him that there may be others with the same car, he said he'd keep the measurement specs...
Old 04-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221 View Post
Bobby you are surely mistaken... the cage inside the racer has altered the weight distribution so it is very similar to the Audi R8. Dave and Ben now need to have 315's for the front and 175's for the rear in order to conpensate for the front weight and rear weight.
Tim, Tim, Tim.....

You've got it all wrong. What they need is a subtle variation of the Enzo-Bugatti rally car approach used in the late '80s that requires that they run cross-staggered tires to optimize lateral and straight line grip. In the case of the RaceCar's weight distribution, this will require the tire sizes you've recommended, but with them mounted on a diagonal (RF=315, LF=175, RR=175, LR=315). Elementary, isn't it?

-Bill

My Locker
Old 04-10-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Tim, Tim, Tim.....

You've got it all wrong. What they need is a subtle variation of the Enzo-Bugatti rally car approach used in the late '80s that requires that they run cross-staggered tires to optimize lateral and straight line grip. In the case of the RaceCar's weight distribution, this will require the tire sizes you've recommended, but with them mounted on a diagonal (RF=315, LF=175, RR=175, LR=315). Elementary, isn't it?

-Bill
So would we have to carry two different sized spares???? What about the load rating???

And if by "Elementary, isn't it?" you mean silly and naive like a 2nd grader, then yes it is....
Old 04-11-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221 View Post
What you don't like our 4 spares. Have you ever tried to get a car up sheet aluminum ramps in the rain with 22 inch outside diameter slicks where the car is less than 3 inches from the ground. We're limited to 10 inch wide tires which of course is what we've got in my basement.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
So would we have to carry two different sized spares???? What about the load rating???

And if by "Elementary, isn't it?" you mean silly and naive like a 2nd grader, then yes it is....
Brilliant!
-Bill

My Locker
Old 04-11-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Brilliant!
-Bill

Speaking of Brilliant, I'm still waiting for this years "I'd love to go to Reading but..." post from Mr. Wall.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Speaking of Brilliant, I'm still waiting for this years "I'd love to go to Reading but..." post from Mr. Wall.
don't worry its comming

Tom