the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-21-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
You're missing my point.. rarity and value aren't directly proportional. Would someone buy a beat up classic musclecar for big bucks? Happens every day, they're american icons. The only stamp left by the svx was how bad Subaru screwed up by making an unreliable, overpriced car. Again I don't mean to down the car so much but it isn't exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread. It has funny windows - cool, but not $25k cool.

Well I think there are enough people that either own now or have previously owned one and they will be willing to pay $25k for a mint one in the future for the nostalgic value. Probably someone that's already on this board.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Just My OP also

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger
the only svx's what would be worth anything are the high end models. with the spoilers, heated seats, folding mirrors, tilting headlights(alot of these things mentioned in my owners manual. that i dont have)
the standard SVX, wont increase in value. it may get to the $8000AUD, and sit there for years..
i cant see these cars being worth more to be honest. 25,000 worldwide right? how many would be on the roads these days,,, estimated??
Quote from the SVX spec page at Cars101;
"1992 was the first and 1997 was the last year for the SVX model. A total of 14,257 were built. That's not very many."

I find this to be reason enough to have one, especially if you can find it in well maintained shape. I drive a '92 LSL from June of '91. Surely, the price is right. Mine drives every day, but will be in my Garage for maint. for the summer. And I do expect to go to Reading for the 20th.
236K and still very strong, in all aspects.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles

Last edited by ShiuludeSVX; 03-21-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Ouch

Quote:
You're missing my point.. rarity and value aren't directly proportional. Would someone buy a beat up classic musclecar for big bucks? Happens every day, they're american icons. The only stamp left by the svx was how bad Subaru screwed up by making an unreliable, overpriced car. Again I don't mean to down the car so much but it isn't exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread. It has funny windows - cool, but not $25k cool.
I see your point Brian. But most of the folks here didn't have to pay that much for thier's either. Including me.
I do like the fact that even though some people feel it is an inferior car for one reason, or another, they are still functioning after heavy useage.

Some do require attention, and others require none.
Some are run hard, and some are virtually Mothballed. I can appreciate that.
I have spoken with several people on the subject of Repairs vs Practicallity, and the same thing comes up very often. If you don't run the piss out of em, then they will behave.
So, in the end, if you take care of your toys, they MIGHT be worth something.
And that's also part of why some of us have em.

I don't mean to be offensive, but I am sorry to say that it sounds like you might be happier if you unload yours.
The Toyota Tercel got 37mpg 20 years ago. And they still do.
You might look there.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 03-21-2007, 10:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
Quote:
Apple, apple, apple, apple, orange.
I guess I have a bunch of fruits in my driveway .

The 68 Caddilac I have isn't worth crap (well the body isn't worth crap). It was purchased new by my grandparents. My grandmother loves the car but after gas prices really went up she stopped driving it and it sat for many years. It was one of the first cars I ever rode in and it holds sentimental value. So I am fixing it up. Otherwise that sucker would be sitting in a dump somewhere.

A car is worth about as much as someone is willing to pay.

That's my 2 cents.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Graphic Artist

Rarity in production generally leads to a car NOT being a classic.

Mustangs, Vettes, Cameros, Impalas, Chargers, 911s'.... All of these cars have one thing in common.

They were hugely popular, had very long production lives (hell, they are all being made currently, as the camero is coming back in '09.

The valuble ones had rare OPTIONS but not one of them was a rare car.

Secondary classics (Sprites, Austin Martins, Comets) may have had a lower prodution value, but all have penetrated the mind of the consumer. Unless something wild happens (The SVX becomes an icon in a popular movie) Our car will never have "Classic" status. Very few people know what they are, the number of people who know that they are desirable is only going to decline.

You may well only be able to buy them for 25k in the future, but that will only be because of inflation, when the equivilent of a neon is 50k or more new.

In other words, buy the car for you, not because its going to return an investment.

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Old Guy

[QUOTE=SVXyGirl]A car is worth about as much as someone is willing to pay.

Logic prevails! Remember that somewhere out there is a guy who collects Yugos and Hillmans. Nobody knows why.
Preston
Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
I find it very easy to tag much of the responsibility for the low sales volume on the frequently failing automatic transmission. Say what you will about how Subaru didn't produce these cars with a mtx because they didn't have one that could handle the torque; it sounds like they didn't have an automatic that could hack it, either.

Not for nothin', but after the Brat and the XT, Subaru was still tagged as "that small company that makes quirky cars", which doesn't give them much credibility in the public's eye when they step upmarket. The gradual motions of the Legacy are what brought them to that point, imho.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to budbaer Send a message via Yahoo to budbaer
I'm not going to speculate on the value of my SVX in 20 years. I look at all the cars I had 20 years ago, I got them dirt cheap and if I had them today they would be worth a small fortune. Who knew? Obviously not me, I traded them for motorcycles, guitars and amps, all kinds of crap. Back then they were not worth the time to try and sell them.

1976 MG Midget----------traded for 1979 Kawasaki KZ1100
1973 Pontiac Ventura-----traded for 1977 Triumph TR-7
1977 Triumph TR-7--------given to girlfriend (I know that was really stupid)
1980 Camaro Z28---------sold for $1500
1970 Nova SS------------traded for 1987 Subaru XT
1987 Subaru XT----------traded for a 1985 gibson flying V
1959 Guild hollow body electric that once belonged to Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane---- sold for $300 (once again, who knew there would be an Ebay)

The list could go on and on. I'm sure the other older guys on here could tell horror stories of the many that got away.

Last edited by budbaer; 03-21-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides
Remember that somewhere out there is a guy who collects Yugos and Hillmans. Nobody knows why.
Preston
Good point. Trouble is, here we bemoan the plight of the SVXs that gets parted-out, but we (the market) have devalued rolling examples to the point that breaking one makes more economic sense than keeping it on the road.

I didn't "invest" in these cars, I just like 'em alot and would love to see that they maintain some meager value, at least within the community of folks who share that affinity.

dcb
Old 03-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX
Quote from the SVX spec page at Cars101;
"1992 was the first and 1997 was the last year for the SVX model. A total of 14,257 were built. That's not very many."
14,257 were sold in the United States, around 25k world wide.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX
I don't mean to be offensive, but I am sorry to say that it sounds like you might be happier if you unload yours.
The Toyota Tercel got 37mpg 20 years ago. And they still do.
You might look there.

I love the thing, (hell I just dumped 5 grand into it) but I love it as a relatively cheap, comfortable daily driver - not an investment
Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
as much as I hate to agree, ricochet is right Its not an investment... I lvoe my car no doubt and I love it for what it is to me, not to anyone else

Tom
Old 03-21-2007, 01:34 PM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
I bought mine for me .... "BECAUSE I WANTED IT!" Not for a return investment. I'm still dumping $$$$ into it, BECAUSE I NEED TO, WANT TO, CAN. Whatever the reason, its probably not gonna live forever and sooner or later it will not be possible to keep dumping $ into it but as for today, I will keep doing it until I can no longer afford it!

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 03-21-2007, 02:16 PM

Gone, gone!

Last edited by cdvs; 03-26-2007 at 04:39 PM.