SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Don't agree with that. The Australian Holden is designed and built in Ozz, the car actually, goes, stops, and handles, unlike the US versions.

Harvey.

Ps. not that I would actually buy one though.
Who cares where it is built. Nearly 40 percent of the GMs sold in the US are made in Mexico or Canada so I guess they don't count either. GM owns the majority of Holden so Holden is nothing more than GMs Buick for down under.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

My Thunderbird SC was built in Canada, but i wont complain. Better than owning a Dodge truck built by mexcans not to be racist but you know the drill. More foreign makers assemble their cars here than half the US makers. And athough the money goes overseas it provides ALOT of jobs unlike American automakers who are laying off like crazy.

Anyway back on subject. Holden is a good company but just because they share ownership with GM doesnt mean they use alot of the same parts. GM doesnt have a 4.5L v8 here just like the Falcons 302 and inline 6 arent used here either. Id love to see the Falcon here with the turbocharged I-6, that'd be awesome. And just let me reitterate that I dislike Chrysler but using the B E-class platform for the Charger, Magnum, and 300C was genius. Just wish they all came with that stellar 6.1L AND if it were a true Hemispherical head design. But as far as parts sharing.... America needs to do something on its fit and finish. If the doors closed like my BMW or if the seats were as comfortable as the new Legacy GT then people would buy more American cars.

And the key is what was itterated below, its not what the car looks like, its how it performs and its reliability. American cars have some of the WORST customer satisfaction ratings AND worst Reliability ratings in the world. No wonder we drive Subaru's and BMW's... The best thing Subaru ever did for its reliability was trash that 4EAT
Old 02-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer6SVX
If the doors closed like my BMW or if the seats were as comfortable as the new Legacy GT then people would buy more American cars.
dude, i hate to tell you, but the LGT is NOT known for its comfortable seats!!!

shelfy sold his Legacy GT due to the seats, and i had to get some $250 Wet Okole padded seat covers to make them somewhat comfortable.

SVX seats >>> LGT seats .... take comfort in that.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
'Tis true I haven't much experience with Holden. One thing I do know is that their 'Family II' 4cylinder engine is probably the worst engine I have ever worked on. They were/are built for Chevrolet (India), Daewoo, Suzuki and Isuzu Rodeo. Not sure if they had enough faith to put them in anything wearing a Holden badge. Isuzu can't get away from them fast enough. If I had a customer come in with one that had overheated I didn't even have to open the hood. One call to the zone manager and I had instant authorzation for a replacement engine. Nobody cared if it had a leaking hose, stuck thermostat, whatever. Just dump a new one in and happy trails.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
dude, i hate to tell you, but the LGT is NOT known for its comfortable seats!!!

shelfy sold his Legacy GT due to the seats, and i had to get some $250 Wet Okole padded seat covers to make them somewhat comfortable.

SVX seats >>> LGT seats .... take comfort in that.
i thought my ears were burning. and it's true. one of the major reasons for trading the legacy was because of the seats. i think i want to get back into an obxt, but after driving a subaru rental car for two days last week, i may reconsider.

and GM rebadges cars? you learn something every day.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 02-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Buicks used to have Buick engines, and Chevys had Chevy engines, blah, blah, blah. In the '70s, GM (God's Mistake) was hit with a rather large suit by people that claimed to not have known they were being sold a Buick with an Oldsmobile engine, etc. Funny, they never complained about the fact that they had been buying Buicks with corporate transmissions for the past xx years. Also funny is that consumers seemed to always realize that their Mercury had a Ford engine, and that Plymouth, Dodge and Chrysler shared the same running gear.

p.s. Does anyone have a question as to what I think of GM products? Don't get me wrong, I've worked on almost all makes, they all have their problems. And they all, some more than others, have their attributes. But to me, buying a GM is kin to buying a goose turd packaged in a Snickers wrapper. It looks dang good on the outside, it's what's inside that will...

And, no, I don't work where I do because I think they have the best product. Quite the opposite. Isn't it better to work something that is in constant need of repair?
The last time I saw a 'pie graft' of GM, SUBARU was mentioned as a piece!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 02-06-2007, 02:55 AM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Sorry but I have only just picked up on this. The Crown/Dodge is something I have not heard of.

There is much more original manufacture down under than you may appreciate. Holdens in particular are certainly not simply an assembly of imported bits. Sure there is much interhouse trading on the basis of economics which is common world wide, but customs duty is not at the forefront.

There was once a large N.Z., assembly industry brought about by a shortage of overseas exchange, but this has gone by the board. The cars as assembled here were often altered considerably from the original, particularly in the handling department. Kiwis like to drive, rather than pander to looks.
My 'pen pal' Neil had one and sent me pics! It was 'duel fuel', had a 318 engine and looked like my mom's 68 Dart!

He also sent me 'Auto trader' magizines, a drag racing mag and a newspaper that showed pics of a lot of rooflines I recognised, on a lot of cars I did NOT.

I have an 'internet' pal that has sent me pics of her husbands Holden that looked like a 'Sunbeam' that I used to own, ETC.

Pre-internet, Neil and I talked of doing an auto parts import thing, but cancelled it over the tariffs that were being imposed.

This all took place 20 years ago.

Jerry
Old 02-06-2007, 03:00 AM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Who cares where it is built. Nearly 40 percent of the GMs sold in the US are made in Mexico or Canada so I guess they don't count either. GM owns the majority of Holden so Holden is nothing more than GMs Buick for down under.
My 91 Dodge pickup is built just south of Texas, but my 97 Subi is built just south of chicago.

Jerry
Old 02-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser
The last time I saw a 'pie graft' of GM, SUBARU was mentioned as a piece!
I guess it has been a while since you've seen that. GM dropped Subaru some time ago. Their only joint venture that actually produced something was the Saab 9-2x (WRX). Currently GM is wafting on whether or not to cut Saab loose.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I guess it has been a while since you've seen that. GM dropped Subaru some time ago. Their only joint venture that actually produced something was the Saab 9-2x (WRX). Currently GM is wafting on whether or not to cut Saab loose.
Man that would kill Saab now that they don't have a platorm of their own thanks to GM platorm sharing and the 9-libu
Old 02-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Not as old as Randy

And what they have isn't much.

It's beyond me why anyone would value any European car above a lawnmower you could buy at K-Mart. They're only fun to drive if they belong to someone else.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
I think the only reason they went into Subaru was to gain use of the VTD AWD that they use in the SUV that they sell here, it also appeared in a prototype AWD Monaro.
Not quite the same as ours, no LSD, they used the cheaper brake locking system instead.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
And what they have isn't much.

It's beyond me why anyone would value any European car above a lawnmower you could buy at K-Mart. They're only fun to drive if they belong to someone else.
What Beav still pissy that you couldn't find the key cylinder on the first Saab you got in?

I would've thought that Euro cars would have built a nice retirement fund and paid off the Ark by now for a mechanic such as yourself. Plenty of reason to value Eurotrash IMO.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:06 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
'Tis true I haven't much experience with Holden. One thing I do know is that their 'Family II' 4cylinder engine is probably the worst engine I have ever worked on. They were/are built for Chevrolet (India), Daewoo, Suzuki and Isuzu Rodeo. Not sure if they had enough faith to put them in anything wearing a Holden badge. Isuzu can't get away from them fast enough. If I had a customer come in with one that had overheated I didn't even have to open the hood. One call to the zone manager and I had instant authorzation for a replacement engine. Nobody cared if it had a leaking hose, stuck thermostat, whatever. Just dump a new one in and happy trails.
Beav,

I must assume that all the Holden good stuff came to NZ, while junk was exported to the US.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

Quote:
It's beyond me why anyone would value any European car above a lawnmower you could buy at K-Mart.
I dunno. I love my 840Ci... They may be expensive to repair but hey... If you can afford to buy one you should be able to afford repair bills. Anything can break on any car. Left front axle broke on the 01 S4 I drove in California... $3000 later it was back on the road. But its a $50k car... expensive cars are expensive parts. I wont even bother doing anything to my BMW myself... Germans have a really screwed up way of designing things and it takes like 8 hex nuts to even get the air filter cartridge open.... But oh hell does it fly.

Sometimes I miss the simplicity of my Mustang... And other times I look in the parking lot and just love my Bimmer... its all in what you like. Just SOMEONE explain to me why BMW has to put those pointless engine bay shrouds over EVERYTHING!!?? First thing I did was remove mine... Serves NO purpose... like the shroud over the EG33 throttle body... trashed it too...
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: