Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 11-30-2012, 02:37 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: OBDII Mt conversion???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
The VIN is in multiple places on the car, and on the paperwork. How can you just change it to a 92?
Find a 92 parts car, and switch them, basically. Or say, you have 2 cars, just switch them, and the plates. I think only the one on the dash and the one in the door jamb would need to be changed. If it matters that much for someone to go through the trouble, it's doable. People are lazy and don't pay too much attention to things like that.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-30-2012, 04:09 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Find a 92 parts car, and switch them, basically. Or say, you have 2 cars, just switch them, and the plates. I think only the one on the dash and the one in the door jamb would need to be changed. If it matters that much for someone to go through the trouble, it's doable. People are lazy and don't pay too much attention to things like that.
Switching of VIN plates is illegal,
or were you just kidding?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM

Registered SVX

Let me check some info here, If you use the obd2 to obd1 jumper are you using both ecu's, so that obd2 diag would think the car (for emissions is correct?
Or would it be just using the obd1 ecu to keep the cel off?

but if emissions tried to connect to it would fail?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:27 PM

Registered SVX

In Conn they take the odometer reading and put it. In the computer when they do the test . If it was higher before they flag it as a turned back. They test all cars here back to 75 I believe.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Let me check some info here, If you use the obd2 to obd1 jumper are you using both ecu's, so that obd2 diag would think the car (for emissions is correct?
Or would it be just using the obd1 ecu to keep the cel off?

but if emissions tried to connect to it would fail?
No, you'd be using an OBD1 ECU just to keep the CEL off for an MT swap, but you could also use the ECUtune stuff, and check codes without a scanner. And it would be easier to find an OBD1 ECU than an OBD2 one, if it needed replacing. It wouldn't really help pass inspection, because when they plug in the OBD2 scanner it won't be connected to the ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Switching of VIN plates is illegal,
or were you just kidding?
I was, um, kidding? I would never do anything illegal, and neither should anyone else.

For the odometer issue, couldn't you just say the gauge cluster was replaced and is no longer accurate? (Hypothetically of course...) On the FL titles, there is an option for exactly that. Is that not a common thing?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 11-30-2012, 07:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
No, you'd be using an OBD1 ECU just to keep the CEL off for an MT swap, but you could also use the ECUtune stuff, and check codes without a scanner. And it would be easier to find an OBD1 ECU than an OBD2 one, if it needed replacing. It wouldn't really help pass inspection, because when they plug in the OBD2 scanner it won't be connected to the ECU.

I was, um, kidding? I would never do anything illegal, and neither should anyone else.

For the odometer issue, couldn't you just say the gauge cluster was replaced and is no longer accurate? (Hypothetically of course...) On the FL titles, there is an option for exactly that. Is that not a common thing?
Yes, also the DMV may issue a branded title but it's not like the car becomes unsellable should the time come. You would just have to disclose that there is a branded title for odometer rollback. Also, the fact still remains that while they may jot down the mileage, they still become exempt after a certain time frame. As I said, most states it's 20 years old or less. In PA, they will note the mileage for every inspection, however you can still put in as exempt for the title on anything 10 years or older as well.

Last edited by 1986nate; 11-30-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 AM

I'm just finishing my 6MT swap on my 96 OBDII, but I'm also running Hydra so it wouldn't help you much with OBD functionality or check engine lights... Thankfully in MASS anything older than 15 years no longer gets plugged into the system during inspections.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
I'm just finishing my 6MT swap on my 96 OBDII, but I'm also running Hydra so it wouldn't help you much with OBD functionality or check engine lights... Thankfully in MASS anything older than 15 years no longer gets plugged into the system during inspections.
10 years in PA...15 years in MA...25 years in the communist state of NY!!!!!!!

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 12-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
K, lemme know.
Found it... so whenever you want it

Tom
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

This crossed my mind at work today: Does anyone know what code is specifically thrown in regards to the tcu on an obd2 swapped svx?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Found it... so whenever you want it

Tom
Got it today, thanks.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Got it today, thanks.
How did that adapter work out for you ID? Do you know where the OBD1 lines go? Do they end up in the OBD2 connector? There are cables that adapt OBD2 readers to OBD1 connectors. I am looking into whether or not that could be used to satisfy emissions requirements.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 08-05-2013, 11:54 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Bump to this... I am started my conversion over the weekend. I didn't get a chance to sample the TCU to ECU signal for the OBD2, so I'm hoping someone else has been getting closer.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:41 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobCrazy View Post
Bump to this... I am started my conversion over the weekend. I didn't get a chance to sample the TCU to ECU signal for the OBD2, so I'm hoping someone else has been getting closer.
I may give it a shot this weekend. Been too busy to think about going into that rat's nest while hanging upside down. I have a handheld scope here waiting to be used.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:28 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Oh please, please, please! I want to have a functioning cchek engine light.