Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 07-01-2006, 08:59 AM

Its Alive!

Well after years of the car sitting. I finally tried starting it this morning. Started right up with the Electromotive ECU, as if it had never been shut down at all. I'm working through a few minor issues such as a frozen tensioner pully. Hope to be tuning this weekend.

Later

Chuck
Old 07-01-2006, 09:08 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
GREAT!
Good luck with the tuning!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chuck,
Great news! Keep us informed as to how the tuning goes! I'm very interested in what you see regarding AFR vs HP.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-05-2006, 08:41 AM

Update

I have still been trying to work out a few things with the car. My oxygen sensors seem to be all messed up. I was sensing a lean condition. Had the standard white smoke comming out. Then when I made fuel adjustments, I started getting black smoke (rich) and a strong fuel smell. My sensors were still reading lean. Both the wide band and the narrow band. I'm also having periodic communication errors with the ECU. I'm not sure why that is. I also have a small fuel leak, even after having the rails rewelded, so I need to pull that tonight and take it back to the shop where it was done. If I can get everything fixed this week, I'm going to try tuning again Sunday. I'm still amazed that the car is running as well as it is considering how long it has been out of commission and how poorly it is tuned right now.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:27 PM

i rode in that car today, a/c still works after sitting for 4 years!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
I have still been trying to work out a few things with the car. My oxygen sensors seem to be all messed up. I was sensing a lean condition. Had the standard white smoke comming out. Then when I made fuel adjustments, I started getting black smoke (rich) and a strong fuel smell. My sensors were still reading lean. Both the wide band and the narrow band. I'm also having periodic communication errors with the ECU. I'm not sure why that is. I also have a small fuel leak, even after having the rails rewelded, so I need to pull that tonight and take it back to the shop where it was done. If I can get everything fixed this week, I'm going to try tuning again Sunday. I'm still amazed that the car is running as well as it is considering how long it has been out of commission and how poorly it is tuned right now.
Chuck,
Did you take the O2 sensors out of the exhaust pipes and "let them breathe" so the could reset before you did the fuel adjustments?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-08-2006, 08:40 PM

Breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chuck,
Did you take the O2 sensors out of the exhaust pipes and "let them breathe" so the could reset before you did the fuel adjustments?
-Bill
No I did not.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:42 PM

Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieingSVX
i rode in that car today, a/c still works after sitting for 4 years!
Yes. Can you believe it? I thought we were going to boil in that thing before we turned on the AC. Thanks for your help this morning. Weird how the fuel mix kept creeping up like that. I wonder if the injectors need to break in? I wouldn't think so.

I shot off another e-mail to innovative about their wideband. Hopefully they will provide me with a unit that works. I'm going to call electromotive about the narrow band. I have a feeling they sent me the wrong unit. Supposed to be a 4 wire. I also need to go through the wiring and see if there is some kind of switched power problem going to my tec causing the communication failures. Boy that was frustrating.

Not too thrilled with the engine mangement software. difficult to deal with. At least we didn't blow up the car. Stop by tomorrow if you want. We can catch the soccer game and at least feed you this time.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:54 PM

i would, but i'm afraid i have to leave for work in a few hours. when will i ever get to sleep let me know the next time you want me to come up. maybe i won't be so lazy and i'll get my lm1 out of the mustang so we can do some datalogging with afr.

btw this svx has one of the nicest interiors i've seen in a 14 yr old car. it's flawless from what i saw today. well except the pools of sweat from me. sorry about that.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:41 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
SWEET!!!! looking forward to great results Goodluck with the tuning
Old 07-09-2006, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieingSVX
i would, but i'm afraid i have to leave for work in a few hours. when will i ever get to sleep let me know the next time you want me to come up. maybe i won't be so lazy and i'll get my lm1 out of the mustang so we can do some datalogging with afr.

btw this svx has one of the nicest interiors i've seen in a 14 yr old car. it's flawless from what i saw today. well except the pools of sweat from me. sorry about that.
Don't worry about the sweat. I've still got to install the glovebox, and some new steering wheel covers. The old ones were brittle and breaking. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on another bosch 4.2 5 wire sensor this week. Looks like I'm also going to need another narrow band. Let me know if you want to come by next weekend.

Take Care

Chuck
Old 07-09-2006, 06:59 PM

Your Intercooler/Turbo Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
Thanks for the good wishes. I really like the setup you did. Especially fitting a front mount intercooler. I have a new bumper with a wider front opening and have cut the metal bumper to fit one, but I'm going to have a difficult time fitting the piping. I've got engine management wiring going through the drivers side hole, and a cold air intake going through the passenger side hole. I've thought about moving the battery and eliminating the ABS system. Then cutting holes in the body there to fit the piping. I may just go ahead and do an air/water after all, just for ease of intallation. I do think that the air/air front mount is a superior system though. Nice job. What's next? Bigger injectors? Engine Management?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:12 PM

Got some good info today

I called the Tec II rep from Extreme Turbo in Lakeland. Basically he told me that the sensors are fouled and need to be cleaned. This is done by using a blow torch to heat them until they are red hot. This can be done on the narrow band as well as the wide band. We should probably do it on your broad band too after blackening it up this weekend.

After analyzing the data and thinking a bit about what was going on. I think that the problem is that the high impedance injectors cannot be turned down enough to shoot the small amount of fuel necessary at idle. That is probably going to be my next hurdle, to set the minimum injector on time to its minimum, without shutting them down. I'm also going to turn down the fuel pressure regulator. Maybe that will help. So I should be ready to tune again this weekend.

He also said that my laptop may need to be more dedicated to the purpose of loging data and dealing with this software, and that I should make sure all the extra programs are shut down when tuning and monitoring. That may help with the communication errors we were having.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:30 PM

your piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
I have one other question about your intercooling piping system. How do you go from your turbo to the inlet of the turbo. It looks almost as if you cut the body near the wheel well to bring in the piping. Your photos were great, just couldn't make out how you did this.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:04 PM

my company wants me to work saturday. all they want me to do saturday is go to plant city and do some estimating. i'm going to try and talk them into just letting me go tomorrow night and doing it. if that works i'll see you saturday if that's good for you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: