SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-29-2001, 08:47 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Question

The woman's svx has recently started howling in the right rear. I put it up and there was no play in the bearing that I could detect by shaking the wheel.
Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed as a rear wheel bearing failure. It has already been replaced at 88k and 92k and it now has 102k on it. stock wheels and proper tire size. They called up the powers that be and are willing to pay for a new bearing and labor if we put up for the cost of a new hub assembly. Obviously I know about the whole repacking with grease thing but subaru won't do that or acknowledge that it is a problem.
Do I ask them to prove that the hub is out of specs before I pay for a new one or just jump on the deal?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-29-2001, 09:17 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Do I ask them to prove that the hub is out of specs before I pay for a new one or just jump on the deal?
Well, while I don't endorse calling any service department bad things, I might be inclined to in this case. What I would suggest that you do is ask why the bearing has had to be changed so many times, causing you to be with out a vehicle and that you know there is a TSB stating that repeat failures of the bearing means that the hub has probably been overtorqued at some point. The fact that it lasted a very short amount of time the second time they replaced it should be proof enough of that. Don't ask them to prove anything, they know what the problem is, they missed it the first time, so by rights you would have had to pay for the hub had they caught it. But I would certainly make a very strong statement something to the effect that I was very disappointed in the fact that I had to make extra trips to the dealership and that it was a great inconvenience to me. I'd just ask that they sell me the hub at cost and then provide the labor and bearing under warranty. And if not then take what they offer you and as you walk out the door, explain to them that you'll be writing the owner of the place and SOA about the way they conduct business.

Good Luck!
Old 05-03-2001, 01:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

And if not then take what they offer you and as you walk out the door, explain to them that you'll be writing the owner of the place and SOA about the way they conduct business.

Good Luck!
A far more mature way to handle a bad service department than I used. When I found that, during an oil change (which may or may not have happened), the shop drained my frint diff (without refilling it), I did this:

I called and asked them to print out a full service history of the car.

Then I went to pick it up and, once I had it in hand, explained to the people behind the counter that I would avoid their shop 'like the plague' from then on. I did this in front of many customers.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-03-2001, 04:33 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Ultra embarrassment

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

A far more mature way to handle a bad service department than I used. When I found that, during an oil change (which may or may not have happened), the shop drained my frint diff (without refilling it), I did this:

I called and asked them to print out a full service history of the car.

Then I went to pick it up and, once I had it in hand, explained to the people behind the counter that I would avoid their shop 'like the plague' from then on. I did this in front of many customers.
Good plan, but will only have effect if the people behind the counter are on commission or have something to lose by your action. In my experience, this tactic will only hit home to a beneficial owner or senior manager. The rest don't give a s***, their jobs are safe whether you walk or whether you talk, which is why they don't do your car right in the first place.

BTW, how did you manage to become a Super Master Ultra-Member, which is only a whisker away from Senior High Wizard like Lord Aredubjay??
Have you been slipping whiskey to the Moderator?? And if my school memory of Greek is not too rusty, an Ultramember probably shouldn't be on a family site anyway.

Joe
Old 05-04-2001, 03:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Ultra embarrassment

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

BTW, how did you manage to become a Super Master Ultra-Member, which is only a whisker away from Senior High Wizard like Lord Aredubjay??
Have you been slipping whiskey to the Moderator?? And if my school memory of Greek is not too rusty, an Ultramember probably shouldn't be on a family site anyway.

Joe
Well, Joe, unfortunately, like postmen, only another Super Master Ultra-Member can make somebody else a Super-Master Ultra-Member.

Actually, it requires two - one to nominate and another to second it.

And since I'm the only one, that's going to be difficult to do.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-04-2001, 06:45 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Ultra embarrassment

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Well, Joe, unfortunately, like postmen, only another Super Master Ultra-Member can make somebody else a Super-Master Ultra-Member.

Actually, it requires two - one to nominate and another to second it.

And since I'm the only one, that's going to be difficult to do.
OK I'll buy it. But I don't want to be one as it seems an unsafe profession. If you're the only one, you must have iced your nominator and seconder.

Memberdom'll do.

Joe
Old 09-01-2001, 02:28 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
We ended up paying for a new hub and the dealer installed that and a new bearing with no charge for the bearing or labor. 3 months and 3k miles later the bearing is starting to get noisy again. Obviously we're taking it back in to get it replaced again.

They did not acknowledge the bearing shipping grease problem last time when we brought it up and I haven't been able to find an official TSB from subaru on the subject yet although one member wrote that his dealer had heard of the problem. Does anyone know of any official word from subaru on this subject?

Eddycat - is there anything else that could be causing the bearing failure? (right rear) The car rides smooth and other than slightly warped rotors it doesn't seem to have any driveline problems.

parts replaced were;
roller bearing
snap ring, 2 oil seals
a $25 bolt !!! pt# 20540AA000
Hub complete rear $170 pt# 28052PA010
Rear axle housing $178 pt# 28411PA000
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-01-2001, 04:34 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
We ended up paying for a new hub and the dealer installed that and a new bearing with no charge for the bearing or labor. 3 months and 3k miles later the bearing is starting to get noisy again. Obviously we're taking it back in to get it replaced again.

They did not acknowledge the bearing shipping grease problem last time when we brought it up and I haven't been able to find an official TSB from subaru on the subject yet although one member wrote that his dealer had heard of the problem. Does anyone know of any official word from subaru on this subject?

Eddycat - is there anything else that could be causing the bearing failure? (right rear) The car rides smooth and other than slightly warped rotors it doesn't seem to have any driveline problems.

parts replaced were;
roller bearing
snap ring, 2 oil seals
a $25 bolt !!! pt# 20540AA000
Hub complete rear $170 pt# 28052PA010
Rear axle housing $178 pt# 28411PA000
As far as I know, overtorquing the axle nut, thus putting undue stress on the housing is the only thing that can cause a repeat failure. Once the housing has been overtorqued, yer all done. I think if I were you I'd just tell these guys that you are going to watch the procedure from start to finish and make sure it is done right, or they can refund every cent you've paid for the repairs and you'll take your business to someone that is willing to do the job correctly. (Of course if it were me, I'd then whip out my trusty Subaru senior master plaque too. )

Hey, not too far in the past I had a car come through the shop that had severely overtorqued axle nuts. I did the repair properly and was standing outside having a shmoke when a state trooper asked me what I had found on that car...I told him and he got all ticked off, (not a good thing when he's wearing a side arm), and informed me that *I* had done the repair. I pulled up a history for him and showed him that we had never worked on wheel bearings on his car. He then kind of sheepishly said, "Oh yeah, I *did* have that done at another dealer." Can't even trust the law when it comes to car repairs it seems.