Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2002, 07:42 PM
Green1995SVX

Click..Click..Click.... AHHHHH

Ok... I know its like so hard to diagnose a sound issue without hearing the car, but as a matter of principle, I always post here before dropping my car off at the service dept. Here's the deal...

I have a 'clicking' sound... it sounds EXACTLY like a card in bicycle spokes... if you can imagine that. It comes from the engine bay. It is only heard when accelerating. It varys with engine speed, not road speed. You can only hear it when the car is under load... for example, you cant hear it when the car is in park and you're revving it, but it is VERY loud when you're in drive.

Again, it varys with Engine speed, not road speed.

-Mike (single handedly supporting the service department at Lancaster County Motors)
Old 03-14-2002, 09:53 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Does it sound different than normal when starting? What you're describing may be a cracked flexplate (flywheel.)

*crossing my fingers for you that it is something cheaper*

Beav
Old 03-14-2002, 09:59 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Does it sound different than normal when starting? What you're describing may be a cracked flexplate (flywheel.)

*crossing my fingers for you that it is something cheaper*

Beav
No, starting sounds normal and tight...

-Mike
Old 03-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Green1995SVX

I should probably mention its been doing this for at least 4 or so months... I'ts just come to my immediate attention now that the weather is nice enough for window down driving... Also, the resonator kinda masked it before.

-Mike
Old 03-15-2002, 04:54 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Is it a valve lifter noise? Does it go away or change whenthe engine gets hot? Did you you stick your head in by the negine and listen?
Old 03-15-2002, 04:56 AM
Not as old as Randy

Loaded or unloaded will have no effect on the lifters.

Beav
Old 03-15-2002, 05:47 AM
Green1995SVX

It has the same volume no matter the engine temp...

Beav, I read in the yahoo post archives that someone had a similar noise, and it was a cracked flexplate... is this a possability?

-Mike
Old 03-15-2002, 06:49 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
It has the same volume no matter the engine temp...

Beav, I read in the yahoo post archives that someone had a similar noise, and it was a cracked flexplate... is this a possability?

-Mike
You said that already.... duh... sorry...

-Mike
Old 03-15-2002, 09:44 AM
Green1995SVX

I changed the oil this morning... just to make sure... checked all the fluids etc. If i'm really careful with my revving, I can make it make the noise in park. It gets somewhat loud @ around 2200RPMs. I had my roommate rev the engine while i stuck my head around in the engine bay and under the car... Sounds like its from the rear of the engine... down low... I can hear it better under the car than in the engine bay.

-Mike
Old 03-15-2002, 09:46 AM
Green1995SVX

Oh, I also stopped by the local Subaru dealer... the tech listened to it... but, he really had no idea... I ran your flex plate idea by him... he said 'could be... but ive never seen that before'

-Mike
Old 03-15-2002, 10:20 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I actually had a problem with one of my heat shields rubbing on the drive shaft. You might check that out. (Trying to suggest the cheapest alternative).
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-15-2002, 10:59 AM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Oh, I also stopped by the local Subaru dealer... the tech listened to it... but, he really had no idea... I ran your flex plate idea by him... he said 'could be... but ive never seen that before'

-Mike
It isn't a pattern failure on any cars that I know of, but it does occur once in a while. I've probably seen 15-20 over the past 30+ years.

There's really no way to tell for sure unless you can find someone with a flexible optical scope (borescope.) Next best bet would be a reputable tranny shop that has seen/heard a few before. I'd rather you took the car in to someone you trust and just tell them you're concerned about the sound it's making, not what you think it might be. Sometimes that throws them off-track, plus you won't tip your hand if they try to come back with some hogwash.

Beav
Old 03-15-2002, 11:52 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

It isn't a pattern failure on any cars that I know of, but it does occur once in a while. I've probably seen 15-20 over the past 30+ years.

There's really no way to tell for sure unless you can find someone with a flexible optical scope (borescope.) Next best bet would be a reputable tranny shop that has seen/heard a few before. I'd rather you took the car in to someone you trust and just tell them you're concerned about the sound it's making, not what you think it might be. Sometimes that throws them off-track, plus you won't tip your hand if they try to come back with some hogwash.

Beav
I just spoke with my mechanic back home... He has a subaru-exclusive shop, and drives an SVX himself. We discussed the noise, and his thoughts were either the dust guard for the torque converter is rubbing on something, or the same flexplate thing which you mentioned. I made an appointment to drop the car off for diagnosos when i'm home on spring break. He said he's had to do a few flexplates over the years... never on an SVX though. Just legacy etc.

-Mike
Old 03-15-2002, 02:22 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I actually had a problem with one of my heat shields rubbing on the drive shaft. You might check that out. (Trying to suggest the cheapest alternative).
I dont have any heat shields.

-Mike
Old 03-15-2002, 02:29 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

I dont have any heat shields.

-Mike
Well, I *guess* that ain't the problem then, is it?

With that said, I know how much you like to take pictures of your car. Just don't take any in an open field . . . with tall grass. Otherwise, the "ticking" you'll hear will be the cooling of hot metal. That is, after your car begins to cool from the flames.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI