Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-04-2006, 05:33 PM

Cant clear ECU codes

I have cleared my ECU codes before, like after I replaced knock sensor #2, but for some reason, my current codes will not go away. I have codes 22, 34, and 37. Each time a new code appeared, all that happened was the CEL came on for a few seconds, and then went out. It doesnt ever come on anymore, and that is why I want to clear the codes. I havent done anything to fix these problems yet, but I thought that maybe 1 or 2 of these codes could possibly have been thrown by mistake, like my knock sensor code (22) could have been caused on the night I overheated, and not actually been a bad knock sensor. So I wanted to clear the codes, and then wait for the CEL to come on again to see what really did need to be fixed, and what was just an accident. But so far, it is impossible to clear the codes. Everytime I do the procedure (which I know that im doing properly), and then plug in the wire again to make sure the codes are clear, they pop right back up. Does this mean that all 3 of these things are actually bad?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:27 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
I have cleared my ECU codes before, like after I replaced knock sensor #2, but for some reason, my current codes will not go away. I have codes 22, 34, and 37. Each time a new code appeared, all that happened was the CEL came on for a few seconds, and then went out. It doesnt ever come on anymore, and that is why I want to clear the codes. I havent done anything to fix these problems yet, but I thought that maybe 1 or 2 of these codes could possibly have been thrown by mistake, like my knock sensor code (22) could have been caused on the night I overheated, and not actually been a bad knock sensor. So I wanted to clear the codes, and then wait for the CEL to come on again to see what really did need to be fixed, and what was just an accident. But so far, it is impossible to clear the codes. Everytime I do the procedure (which I know that im doing properly), and then plug in the wire again to make sure the codes are clear, they pop right back up. Does this mean that all 3 of these things are actually bad?
Did you leave the battery disconnected overnight or touch the +/- terminals together or both?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 01-04-2006, 08:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Ever tried unhooking the Battery, and then turn the switch to power on, and turn on the headlights.

Residual should drain out right away.
Mine cleared because of this when I replaced the Stereo, and the Battery was unplugged for 30 minutes, no overnight.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:48 PM

Ok, unhooking the battery and draining the residual power out did it. I cant beleive I didnt remember to do that. Last time I reset the ECU, I had been changing my knock sensor, so the battery had been disconnected for 5 hours or so, and I didnt even think about having to do it again. But that did reset my codes, so we will just have to wait and see what codes were real and what ones werent. Thanks for the help guys.