Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-04-2002, 10:39 PM

manual transmission reco..

What should I offer a guy for the driveline from a late '90s legacy. I'm wondering what prices most have seen or paid for those who have done the swap.
thanks,
Chris
Old 03-05-2002, 09:57 PM

tranny

Last edited by svxpert; 01-20-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:14 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by svxpert
What do you want to swap it into? A SVX? Why? It won't hold up. Use a WRX tranny if you going to put alot of time and money into it.
Why do people think that a Legacy/Impreza tranny won't hold up in a SVX, I've been running mine(Impreza tranny) for months now (longer than my last Auto held up) The SVX auto is no stronger than the Legacy/Impreza auto, it has a couple extra clutch plates, but that doesn't make it stronger, just better wear properties(more for the higher gear ratio than the HP).
If you're going to drive it under normal conditions(not race conditions) I am positive it will hold up better than a stock auto, it'll be a little rougher on clutches due to the increased torque of the 3.3, but that is expected with the bigger engine.
I've had several early 90's Subies with both Standard and Auto trannys, and NONE of the manuals have given me a problem (one with 175k and was still fine wene I sold it, BUT 3 out of 4 Autos I've had troble with, all of which had less miles on them(this is not just SVX's but mostly Legacys, the 4EAT is just a higher maintenance tranny.
Manuals in any brand Automobile hold up better than Autos do.
My 2 cents
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-06-2002, 10:27 AM

Last edited by svxpert; 01-20-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:11 PM

I could easily have the legacy trans I'm installing rebuilt 3-5 times for the cost of a WRX trans, if I could even get it. A new WRX trans would cost more than I think a '92 SVX is worth, not to mention cost of other components. I'm planning a $1500 budget start to finish w/ an ACT clutch. My current Auto trans works fine after paying $800 to have it rebuilt over 40k mi. ago. I was thinking about selling and buying a 97 prelude, because driving the SVX is getting so boreing. after finding that you can't get one with leather, I decided to go this route.

P.S. I wonder if people would be willing to pay more for a 5 speed?
Old 03-06-2002, 06:05 PM
suby_qa

<P.S. I wonder if people would be willing to pay more for a 5 speed?>

It might scare people off as well.
1) When they take it for service. "Our books don't show a SVX with a manual"
2) If they decide to replace the manual (if ever needed) with an automatic, they would have to purchase the tranny and not simply get rebuilt.
3) However, to those in the know and were perhaps contemplating doing a conversion. Easy sell!
Old 03-06-2002, 06:31 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
<<Manuals in any brand Automobile hold up better than Autos do.
My 2 cents>>

Yes that is very true but, when used in the car that is was made for. I was just stating that if someone is going to put the time and money out, put a tranny in that was made to hold the same HP or close to it as your engine puts out. Thats why I think a WRX tranny might be the best bet. That way all you'll be replacing is the clutch not the gears.
This is pretty much what I'm talking about, the stock auto tranny in the SVX is really just a Legacy tranny with higher gear ratio's, which are acually HARDER on the tranny, the SVX tranny is in no way beefed up over the Legacy one, the extra clutch disks just offset the higher gear ratio's extra clutch wear from taking off from a stop.
I acually think a NEW Legacy auto tranny with the 4:11s would outlast a NEW SVX auto tranny with the 3:54s, due to less stress incured by the lower gears.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-06-2002, 07:51 PM
Brian Steel

Quote:
Yes that is very true but, when used in the car that is was made for. I was just stating that if someone is going to put the time and money out, put a tranny in that was made to hold the same HP or close to it as your engine puts out. Thats why I think a WRX tranny might be the best bet. That way all you'll be replacing is the clutch not the gears.
The WRX is the same as a Legacy & Impreza transmission. Some of the gears are a different ratio but otherwise it's the SAME transmission. In other words, it is NO stronger or weaker.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:05 PM

BTW Mr. Steel, what are the chances that you are willing to sell some of those "stock looking" trans mounts you made?