Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Just for the "what the ..... is Bill talking about" crowd......

three levels to add to Chike's
- MSD Stacker
- Ported/Polished/Thermally coated intake and injector stacks
- Blueprinted injectors and fuel rails

and yes, those are phenolic spacers installed between the injector stacks and the heads and intake manifold and the Impreza FPR

-Bill
p.s. note that Chike's and my numbering systems are not identical

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 11-19-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chike,
Nice write up! You'll definitely have to take at least two runs at Capitol - one against one of the Toms and one against me. I'm really interested to see how your level 3 does against my level 6 (I'll be going to level 7 over the winter). Isn't working in the na world fun?
-Bill
p.s. think you can make it down to Altered Atmospheres in December? I'm going to do some "pulls" to baseline level 6 before going to level 7
Not this December Bill. If LAN had the Stage 2v5 out for the OBDII SVXs, I'd be there in a heart beat!!!! However, I know I'm DEFINITELY maxing ouit my MAF with all the stuff I've done this year.

If I can make two passes I will, but if they see atf on the track after my first run, I'll get booted off. I'm risking being kicked off the track that evening, but hopefully it'll be worth it.

As I have an ailing front diff (I'll launch easy off the line) and no stage 2v5 or MAF bypass, if I run a 14.9-15 flat, I'll be pleased.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 11-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Not this December Bill. If LAN had the Stage 2v5 out for the OBDII SVXs, I'd be there in a heart beat!!!! However, I know I'm DEFINITELY maxing ouit my MAF with all the stuff I've done this year.

If I can make two passes I will, but if they see atf on the track after my first run, I'll get booted off. I'm risking being kicked off the track that evening, but hopefully it'll be worth it.

As I have an ailing front diff (I'll launch easy off the line) and no stage 2v5 or MAF bypass, if I run a 14.9-15 flat, I'll be pleased.

-Chike
Chike,
Plenty of time to do the MAF bypass! Get busy!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 11-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Nice write up Chike... To anyone interested in comming to the drag meet... you can expect to see that same Stage 3 in my 5mt... I will have mostly all of the mods listed here minus the Phenolic spacers...

Tom
Old 11-18-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
three levels to add to Chike's
- MSD Stacker
- Ported/Polished/Thermally coated intake and injector stacks
- Blueprinted injectors and fuel rails
Bill,

I'd probably add those in the Stage 3 category. The MSD ignition is a definite plus, and those others upgrades will ensure that the intake and fuel systems are flowing to the highest level possible.

Nice!

-Chike

P.S. What I see as a stage 4 would either be increased compression or a slight bore on the heads to increase the displacement of the engine. I know I won't be going to this level with my SVX. Once I get the trans replaced, the addition of the stage 2v5 should make this a mid 14 second car which will make me content.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Nice write up Chike... To anyone interested in comming to the drag meet... you can expect to see that same Stage 3 in my 5mt... I will have mostly all of the mods listed here minus the Phenolic spacers...

Tom
Thus my "run against one of the Toms" suggestion

-Bill

oh, yeah....here's what "ported and polished" injector stacks look like

My Locker
Old 11-18-2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX

Tom
These cams will do even better in a 5/6MT SVX. As power starts to really come on at 3,500+rpms, a launch at 4,000rpms will give this car an amazing 1/4! The 4.44 gears really help, but just aren't the same, especially since I still have to work with a 2,500rpm stall.

-Chike

P.S. Btw, I would have mentioned your ebony 5mt being stage 3 as well Tom, but I wanted you to be the one to mention it!

Last edited by Chiketkd; 11-18-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Thus my "run against one of the Toms" suggestion

-Bill

oh, yeah....here's what "ported and polished" injector stacks look like
That's an amazing pic Bill! Yeah, I'd like to run against you as our cars are probably the most closely matched. You'll probably have me off the line (as I'll be doing a very 'easy' launch), but I'm running for trap speed on 11/25 - not et.

-Chike

Old 11-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
That's an amazing pic Bill! Yeah, I'd like to run against you as our cars are probably the most closely matched. You'll probably have me off the line (as I'll be doing a very 'easy' launch), but I'm running for trap speed on 11/25 - not et.

-Chike
Chike,
If it gets cold enough on the 25th we'll probably all have to launch "easy" as the VHT they use on the track at the start doesn't work below ~40 degrees (if memory serves me right).
Question for you -- a 5.0 0-60 time should support what 1/4 mile E.T./trap speed?

My Locker
Old 11-18-2005, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Chike,
If it gets cold enough on the 25th we'll probably all have to launch "easy" as the VHT they use on the track at the start doesn't work below ~40 degrees (if memory serves me right).
Question for you -- a 5.0 0-60 time should support what 1/4 mile E.T./trap speed?
Depends. On a heavy awd car like the SVX, a 0-60 of 5.0 will probably net a 1/4 mile of around 13.8 or so @ 98-100mph. On lighter cars like the Evo or STI, when mags got 0-60 times around that, they could still get down to a 13.5-13.6!

-Chike

Old 11-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Depends. On a heavy awd car like the SVX, a 0-60 of 5.0 will probably net a 1/4 mile of around 13.8 or so @ 98-100mph. On lighter cars like the Evo or STI, when mags got 0-60 times around that, they could still get down to a 13.5-13.6!

-Chike
Thanks!

Damn....

Wonder if I've got time to fit the 275s into the wheel wells......

My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 11-18-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:05 PM

Okay, I'm bushed...

...and I'm off to bed. I'll work on the camshaft write-up this weekend for sure and post it. It'll be nice to see some n/a EG33's make some serious power! Hope others will follow.

-Chike

P.S. I was going to thank these people in my write-up but I'll also do it here. Big thanks to Oab_au, Svxfiles, TomsSVX and SubaFreak for all of their help in making these intake cams a possibility.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:12 PM
One teal and One yellow

Cool, Chike. Looking forward to seeing your cam write-up!

Will be interesting to see how it performs on the race...

Chike, is it possible ever for an upgrade n/a eg33 beat the one
with turbos or supercharged?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 11-19-2005, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
Cool, Chike. Looking forward to seeing your cam write-up!

Will be interesting to see how it performs on the race...

Chike, is it possible ever for an upgrade n/a eg33 beat the one
with turbos or supercharged?
Thanks Ken. And yes it is possible, as I already have!

If you go to the scoobymile.com you'll see a 15.30 sec SVX that used a turbo system owned by Kevin Donofrio. Needless to say, several n/a SVXs have gone faster...

-Chike

Old 11-19-2005, 10:29 AM

Stage 3:

The idea for upgrading the intake camshafts has been tossed around on this site for years. The specs I used were the brainchild of oab_au who based his theory off of the stock specs Wawazat measured a few years ago. Oab_au had helped his son modify his Z motor (which used similar internals to the EG33).

The stock specs are as follows:

Intake Cams: 7.0mm lift, 236 degrees duration
Exhaust Cams: 8.0mm lift, 244 degrees duration

I picked up a set of stock intake cams from TomsSVX around the end of summer and began exchanging PM's with Harvey...

Stock Cams

The ideal intake cam specs Harvey recommended for a 4EAT SVX are as follows:

8.0mm of lift, 240 degrees of duration

From here, I began speaking with several different camshaft grinders including Webcamshafts and Ram Performance. However, all roads led to www.deltacam.com in Tacoma, WA. Their sales guy Scott was very helpful and going back-n-forth with him and Harvey we settled on the following specs for the weld-n-grind on the intake cams (their machine wasn't set-up to do 240 degrees of duration):

8.0mm of lift, 247 degrees duration w/ the entire profile retarded by 7 degrees

The cost was $150.00 per cam excl/ shipping:

Modified Cams

SubaFreak and TomsSVX were very gracious to lend their assistance in the installation of these modifed cams, and on Saturday, November 5th I drove up to NJ to do the install.

We decided to pull my engine, even though it wasn't necessary, as it would give us extra working room on this install:

The valve covers were pulled, and while I replaced the seals, TomsSVX and SubaFreak installed the performance intake cams:

The Ride & Drive
As lift was increased by 1.0mm, there's more power throughout the rev band w/o a noticeable reduction in low-end power despite the slight increase in duration. My stall speed is still 2,500rpms and launches are still quick but w/o the excessive wheelspin and axle hop I experienced before (i.e. only slightly less torque down low).

As the rpms rise, the power comes on with a rush between 3,500-4,000rpms and from there it's a really quick blast to redline!

I can't say how much extra power these cams make as the stock MAF is maxed out between 240-250hp (per Mychailo's extensive testing with his wide-band and MAF voltage reader). I would make a conservative estimate of between 10-15hp, but to fully realize the performance potential of this upgrade the ECUTune Stage 2v5 w/ the Z32 MAF is a necessity!

-Chike

Last edited by Chiketkd; 11-19-2005 at 08:52 PM.