Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-25-2002, 10:45 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Driving Impression: 2001 Dodge Stratus

As any here who know me understand, I am not a fan of American cars. The only domsetic cars I appreciate are Japanese models rebadged and sold under American nameplates, or have a large percentage of Japanese parts.

This weekend my wife had to take a trip to Madison, WI. We decided to rent her a car for this trip. Enterprise gave her the choice of a Stratus or a PT Cruiser. Blech. Not great choices.

The Stratus wasn't a terrible car. Well, let me put it this way - it wasn't a GM. I was overall happy with the ride. The car seemed to be built with a decent degree of quality. After 23k miles, it still seemed to be rattle-free. There was a surprising amount of wind noise at 70mph and higher, though. The door seals whistled.

The rear window defroster button beeps. What the hell? Why make one button in the entire car beep? And it uses the same sound that you hear when you leave your keys in the car or leave the lights on (we'll get back to the lights in a minute). The cruise control buttons are annoying. First of all, there are like six of them - three on each side of the wheel. Second, they aren't lit. Third, they have a real cheap feel so they're difficult to use with gloves.

Okay, the lights. I drive with my lights on, day or night. Subarus fit me well, therefore, because the lights (go figure) actually turn off with the engine. That, to me, seems like a concept that SHOULD have caught on with other manufacturers, foreign or domestic. 'I need a jump start - I left my lights on' should be a simple enough complaint to FIX. So, to be fair, I was annoyed to begin with because I had to flick the lights on. When you shut the Stratus's engine off, the lights stay on. Okay, so I turned the light knob two clicks backwards. At the first click, the headlights turn off and the parking lights stay on. At the second, the parking lights turn off and the headlights turn back on. For 90 seconds. WHY? (This is actually a big complaint of mine and ties into my whole theory behind the people who buy these cars.) It confused my wife, so she discovered that if you turned the knob two clicks back, then one forward, then one back again, the lights all turned off. How annoying.

As I said, I was impressed with the ride. The steering was a little over-assisted for my tastes, but I felt like it was a pretty accurate car. The gas pedal, come to think of it, was too lightly sprung, as well. Any small bumps in the road made it very difficult to keep the same pressure on the pedal.

I didn't care for the visibility in the Stratus. The rear deck is too high. Any kids under driving age would be hidden behind the car.

The engine clacked, almost like a diesel.

I dug the seats. I was able to easily adjust driver's seat to give me enough thigh support. Nice side bolsters. The steering wheel needs telescopic adjustment, though, for those of us who are 90% leg.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-25-2002, 11:47 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: Driving Impression: 2001 Dodge Stratus

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
with my lights on, day or night. Subarus fit me well, therefore, because the lights (go figure) actually turn off with the engine. That, to me, seems like a concept that SHOULD have caught on with other manufacturers, foreign or domestic. 'I need a jump start - I left my lights on' should be a simple enough complaint to FIX. So, to be fair, I was annoyed to begin with because I had to flick the lights on. When you shut the Stratus's engine off, the lights stay on. Okay, so I turned the light knob two clicks backwards. At the first click, the headlights turn off and the parking lights stay on. At the second, the parking lights turn off and the headlights turn back on. For 90 seconds. WHY? (This is actually a big complaint of mine and ties into my whole theory behind the people who buy these cars.) It confused my wife, so she discovered that if you turned the knob two clicks back, then one forward, then one back again, the lights all turned off. How annoying.
I had a grand cherokee before the SVX. Same thing. Had to turn back 2 clicks, forward 1 click, then back one click to turn the lights off. "How annoying" is right. I'll take my subaru, thank you.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2002, 11:59 AM

Thumbs down

I thought all foreign cars had lights that turned off with the ignition until I picked up my 2002 Toyota Solara rental. They stay on unless you turn them off. They do atleast go off the first time when you back click. The way you described the lights on the stratus seems plain dumb to me. It's no wonder I have only owned foreign cars. Even my 85 Audi turned the lights off when the key was removed from the ignition.

B.C.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:02 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
The lights thing was apparently fixed on the 2002. I haven't had the "here a click, there a click, everywhere a click click" problem. You still have to turn the lights off manually, though.

I will reserve comment on the entire Stratus driving experience, since I have a jaded view of the drive -- mainly, I don't wanna freakin' be doin' it!! I want my SVX.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-25-2002, 04:37 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If I'm catching this right what is happening is actually a 'feature'. If you had turned the lights off before turning the ignition off they would go off immediately. It's when you turn the ignition off first that they stay on, for those times when a little light is nice to make your way to the front door.

Beav
Old 02-25-2002, 04:56 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
If I'm catching this right what is happening is actually a 'feature'. If you had turned the lights off before turning the ignition off they would go off immediately. It's when you turn the ignition off first that they stay on, for those times when a little light is nice to make your way to the front door.

Beav
Is that what people do? Hmm...I have to admit that I didn't try it that way.

Yes, I know that it leaves the lights on so you can 'find your front door.' It even says so in the manual. But how many people actually park right in front of their door, or close enough for the light to make a difference? What if you have groceries to take in and 90 seconds isn't long enough?

I just think it's a lame-o feature. My theory is that its only real purpose is to help a salesman impress a potential buyer. In other words, it fits into my jaded view of American car manufacturers and some of the people who buy their products.

I find Subaru's solution to the problem to be far more useful - I never forget to turn my lights on, or off. With the domestic solution, I flick my lights on and off at people who, at 10PM, have their lights off. What do I get in return? Yelling and angry gestures.

Look, asshole, if you HAD your lights on, WHY would I be flashing mine at you? Think about that for a SECOND, please, before you let my extremely insensitive attempt to increase your level of safety raise your blood pressure.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 02-25-2002, 04:57 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Look, asshole, if you HAD your lights on, WHY would I be flashing mine at you? Think about that for a SECOND, please, before you let my extremely insensitive attempt to increase your level of safety raise your blood pressure.
Sorry. MI drivers have made me a bitter, bitter person. Shame on me. :P

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 02-25-2002, 09:43 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

Sorry. MI drivers have made me a bitter, bitter person. Shame on me. :P
Yes, but you hide it so well.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"