Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Superbeast

Plainfeild Auto-X #2 Now with more STI

The PCA (Porshe club of America) is slowly becomming the SCA (Subaru club of America) There were 3 STi, 1 WRX, and my SVX at this one. One STI won't be racing untill next month but it was still there.

My best time was a 39......sometin. Should have gotten a print out.

I do know I beat the WRX, a few Porshes, an SLK, a Z06 (old guys first time), and a Boxter.

I had my first moment of compleat confusion on my first run, I know I missed a gate but tried to keep going, then I found myself in a sea of cones not knowing where the hell to go. Had to just pull out.

Found the whole course on the second run and got a little better from there. Finnaly stoped hitting cones after my fourth run and made a few good clean runs after that.

It was a pretty fast course this time with alot of closing radius turns. My biggest problem was right at the finnish gate where they set up a hard left to right turn, my power steering did not want to work through those last turns. It did not like such a hard transfer. I didn't feel to bad thoe, alot of fast people missed that gate compleatly or took out the cone.

Anyone of you other auto-xers have steering problems? I still love the way the car handels the track, just enough oversteer without being out of control, I feel it's just right for me. But I need that steering to keep up.

06 STI swap?

On a side note I got to see a 928s loose it going around the pivot turn, blow a donut around the next cone and keep on going like he ment to do it......with out hitting a singe cone!! Awsome!!
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Sounds like you had a blast today Jesse. Congrats on beating out some solid cars - where did you finish in your class?

-Chike

P.S. I'll have my own auto-x thread up in a bit. Competed with the SCCA in Verona, VA.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Sounds like you had a blast today Jesse. Congrats on beating out some solid cars - where did you finish in your class?

-Chike

P.S. I'll have my own auto-x thread up in a bit. Competed with the SCCA in Verona, VA.

Well I finnished first in class, but I was placed in novice along with the Boxster, I should have been placed in "other" along with the STIs and other non Porshe stuff. I guess I would have been 3rd in class behind the 2 STI's.
I just can't catch them yet.

Old 09-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Jesse,
Good job! What class did they end up putting your car in (should have been SM)?
From the sounds of things, I'm going to guess that your steering wasn't "going away" at the end. What was probably happening was that your front tires had heated up to the point that they didn't have any "stick" left and were actually sliding out on you, thus making it feel like the steering wasn't doing anything.
-Bill
p.s. the only thing you can do in this case is slow down to the point where the tires can catch some grip.

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Jesse,
Good job! What class did they end up putting your car in (should have been SM)?
From the sounds of things, I'm going to guess that your steering wasn't "going away" at the end. What was probably happening was that your front tires had heated up to the point that they didn't have any "stick" left and were actually sliding out on you, thus making it feel like the steering wasn't doing anything.
-Bill
p.s. the only thing you can do in this case is slow down to the point where the tires can catch some grip.

Well they don't really class "other" cars in any thing other than "other" becouse it's a "Porshe" club. Only the "Porshes" are running for points.

No my tires were gripping a crappy as they were at the start, I just could not turn the wheel fast enough, it was not helping me at all at the end. (Come on Bill I diagnose problems like this for a living)

I'm suprized I'm the only one with this problem. You've never felt a lack of steering assist Bill?

Old 09-25-2005, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
You've never felt a lack of steering assist Bill?
Do you have an LS or LS-L '92 Jesse?

Mychailo menioned a little while back that his '95 awd L model had a lack of steering assist that he noticed during one auto-x session. I haven't noticed anything in my L but I'm not going nearly as fast as you guys - as I'm still a novice.

The LS-L and LSi SVXi use a speed sensitive steering assist rack, while the LS and L models use an rpm sensitive steering assist rack.

-Chike

Old 09-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Well they don't really class "other" cars in any thing other than "other" becouse it's a "Porshe" club. Only the "Porshes" are running for points.

No my tires were gripping a crappy as they were at the start, I just could not turn the wheel fast enough, it was not helping me at all at the end. (Come on Bill I diagnose problems like this for a living)

I'm suprized I'm the only one with this problem. You've never felt a lack of steering assist Bill?
Jesse,
Okay, I'll go with your diagnosis!
I haven't had this problem, but I know that Dave and Ben are dealing with steering "issues" since they went to a underdriven crank pulley.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 09-25-2005, 05:05 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Mychailo menioned a little while back that his '95 awd L model had a lack of steering assist that he noticed during one auto-x session. I haven't noticed anything in my L but I'm not going nearly as fast as you guys - as I'm still a novice....

-Chike
Yep, my car has the rpm sensitive PS though. It only happened at lower rpms, usually if I pushed in the clutch as I was entering a corner. RPMs would drop to idle or below, and the steering wheel would become almost impossible to turn for a moment.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
sounds like Jesse needs to change his steering rack
-Bill

My Locker
Old 09-26-2005, 04:48 AM
Superbeast

Yeah I have the Ls model (light weight) with the norman steering. My problem was when I had the clutch in on a really tight turn but even after my run the pupm sounded a little noisy when I tried to turn the wheel back and forth.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:02 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Jesse,
Okay, I'll go with your diagnosis!
I haven't had this problem, but I know that Dave and Ben are dealing with steering "issues" since they went to a underdriven crank pulley.
-Bill
Our "issue" has actually been like that since before the pulley, but has gotten slightly more so since then. It is just an overall tightness in the steering compared to stock. It is definately not as tight as "no power steering" (been there for a week or so in my driver) but it is not as easy to turn as normal

The one nice thing is that it is very consistant And on the course I prefer the firmness of the steering compared to my driver the few times that has seen the track.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:11 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Yeah it feels nice with 225s on it. Not sure how I'll feel about it when we go to 275s. Might have to start working on adapting that electric pump from the XT to it
Old 09-26-2005, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Yeah I have the Ls model (light weight) with the norman steering. My problem was when I had the clutch in on a really tight turn but even after my run the pupm sounded a little noisy when I tried to turn the wheel back and forth.
Then you'll have the rpm sensitive steering rack like Mychailo and myself have in our cars.

-Chike

Old 09-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
For some reason I have a silky smooth steering system as compared to other svxi. I find that my wheel is almost too easy to turn causing me to oversteer every here and against at speeds 100 plus(kmph of course ) I also find it incredible easy to oversteer on an auto-x... but then again that could be the crappy tires

Tom
Old 09-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Any signs of belt slippage?