How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Anyone got any ideas on whats wrong?

Ok, my SVX has some issues that no one seems be able to diagnose. When i make a turn (left or right) I am getting a shutter that i can feel throughout my car (feels like its in the middle to the rear of the car) along with a loud rattling noise that i am pretty sure is the drive shaft hitting against the heat sheilds.
Its been doing this for a while. The first time it started i took it to the shop and they said it could have been one of two things. The carrier bearing going bad or the rear engine mount going bad. We looked at it and the mount was shot. I replaced the mount and it seemed to be fine. Recently its started doing it again and i had the mount replaced again. My car had a really nasty oil leak and the oil seemed to have eaten through the rubber of the mount so i went ahead and replaced it. It helped a little but its still doing it. I have fixed the leaks but the shutter is getting worse. It used to just do it when going around corners but now it sometimes doing it even when i'm going straight. I had another shop look and see if the carrier bearing might be bad. It does have some play in it but they seemed to think it was fine. I saw it and there was quite a bit of play. I didn't measure it but its very noticable. Does anyone know how much play the drive shaft should have in the carrier bearing?
Now, just to test things i put it into FWD mode and it is back to running like a dream. Drives perfectly again. Granted i don't have AWD but its nice and smooth again. So, its gotta be something with either the drive shaft, or even worse the rear diff.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what i could check on? If you are in Dallas does anyone know a good shop that i could have it checked out at? I had a shop here but they have gone under new mgmt and now they are ignorant @$$holes and i don't plan on taking my car to them anymore.
I have done the figure eight fix in the parking lot and it doesn't help a bit, so any other thoughts?

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:16 AM

Your AWD is definitely binding, but that probably wouldn't have anything to do with the drive shaft or rear differential, because these are turning even when the car is being driven only by the front wheels. That's about all I can offer, except to suggest you do a search on "binding" to see what pops-up.

dcb
Old 08-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
do a search on Solenoid c. That is probobly where your problems reside

Tom
Old 08-22-2005, 03:13 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

could also be your front diff taking a dump... maybe
check the fluid level in the front diff, cant hurt.

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 08-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsport-SVX
could also be your front diff taking a dump... maybe
check the fluid level in the front diff, cant hurt.

Maybe, but right now i'm running in FWD mode and it is running great. It only seems to happen when its in AWD mode when i'm going around corners. The more i read the more i am thinking it might actually be the soleniod C but i am still investigating. There is one case that sounds exactly like what is going on with my SVX. Here is the thread, which i'm reading through now

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...hlight=binding

Anyone else got any suggestions and maybe the part number for the Solenoid C?
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Have you rotated your tires recently? Perhaps one is low on pressure or wearing at a different rate causing the TCU to think you're spinning and engaging thr AWD clutch.

Other than that possibly the "C" solenoid or the AWD clutches themselves.

Worst case scenario is the TCU is bad but not likely.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
Yeah, I saw a post mentioning that too. I regularly rotate them every 4K miles so they are all pretty even. The only difference is the outside edge of the front drivers side is worn badly from the ball joint that is going bad on that side. But honestly, all my tires are worn down so much that the additional little bit of wear on that tire doesn't make much difference. New tires are the next thing on the list after i find out what is causing this binding issue. Thanks for the suggestion though mi amigo.

~Ray
Old 08-22-2005, 06:39 PM

FWD mode?

There's a FWD mode for AWD SVXes?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Binding transfer clutch.

I reckon the Transfer valve is sticking to hold some pressure on the Transfer clutch. This will cause the drive line to buck and move the center bearing around, as it trys to unwind.
Need to pull the back off the box, and replace the "C solenoid, transfer valve ass"(all one unit), might as well replace the clutch plates as well, while it is down.
If the C solenoid is 'electricaly faulty' the TCU will post a code. But if it is mechanical defective, the TCU won't know, so no code.

Harvey.
P.S. Don't spin the front wheels with the fuse in, it can cause the front diff to break.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
I reckon the Transfer valve is sticking to hold some pressure on the Transfer clutch. This will cause the drive line to buck and move the center bearing around, as it trys to unwind.
Need to pull the back off the box, and replace the "C solenoid, transfer valve ass"(all one unit), might as well replace the clutch plates as well, while it is down.
If the C solenoid is 'electricaly faulty' the TCU will post a code. But if it is mechanical defective, the TCU won't know, so no code.

Harvey.
P.S. Don't spin the front wheels with the fuse in, it can cause the front diff to break.

Just a note from experience. When my TCU took a dump, the car would not accept FWD mode with the fuse in. So, I'm guessing, it's the clutch plates. The "Evil Twin" has been binding for some time and has been running in FWD mode. One of these days, I'm gonna get it fixed.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-23-2005, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanS
There's a FWD mode for AWD SVXes?
Inserting a fuse into the normally-open FWD slot in the underhood fuse box electronically prevents AWD from engaging.

dcb
Old 08-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
so what parts am i lookin at here?

Ok, lets assume that it is the solenoid and i'm going to go ahead and replace it. While i am at it i think its probably a good idea to replace the transfer clutch plates as well. Does anyone know what part #'s those are subaruparts.com? Can anyone help me make a list of what i need so i can order them and put them on? Thanks in advance
Old 08-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
solanoid part #

So no one know that part number? *taps mic* Is this thing on? Testing, 1, 2...testing 1, 2
Old 08-23-2005, 01:53 PM
That's gona leave a mark.

If you have not pulled the PropShaft and checked the U-Joint closest to the trans, I would do that. The joint is behind a heat shield and the trans mount so it is not possible to check without at least removing the heat shield .

The symptoms and sound you describe are exactly what was happened with my 95. It turned out to be that front u-joint.

the Chick Magnet:
91 Justy GL EFI 4x4 154k (new motor @120k)

90 Yamaha V-Max
82 Yamaha XJ650LJ Turbo
My Diver Propulsion vehicle:
88 Jeep Cherokee 160k
"U-sta-have"
88 XT6 AWD Pearl,
86 XT Lt Blue,
85 XT AWD/4x4 Turbo Space Blue
Old 08-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The Solenoid is 31942AA070 according to subaruparts.com
REFERENCE LINK
As for the clutch plates it may be in the "Transfer" section HERE but I'm not 100% sure on that. It does look like there are various sizes so you may not be able to order the correct parts before stripping it apart first.