Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 08-23-2005, 02:54 AM
Phil & Belha

Let me confuse the issue a little more. The VTD trans in the UK/European (and possible Aussie) SVX has different speed sensors to the VTD trans in the JDM SVX and they are not 100% compatible. I think Harvey alluded to this in his previous post about Libertys.

Speed Sensor #2 is in the front diff on JDM models (like US models) and it has a separate 3 pin plug. But on UK models, the sensor is inside the gearbox and is wired through the big plugs with all the other transmission wires.

I believe that these sensors also produce different signals. On a JDM SVX, the signal wire branches out to the TCU, ECU, Speedo, and several other systems. On a UK SVX, the speed signal goes directly to the TCU and then comes out on another pin and branches to the ECU, Speedo and other systems. The service manual hints that the signal is modified in some way by the TCU.

I suggest you either rebuild your transmission or try to get one from an identical (year and market) car.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 08-23-2005 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff
Ooer. What sort of work is involved in that? I can get a '02/'03 Liberty auto and also a manual from the same year.

So, what is with doing either/or? I have two SVX's, and one will probably go to each (after sitting on the shelf for a while).
If you can tell which box the '02/03' Liberty used, we could have a look to see if it can be fitted. I can only tell the differences from looking at the wiring diag. It looks like there were two earlier(maybe 2000 models) 4 speed autos, both use the clutch instead of the band, the non-turbo, one has the Transfer AWD the turbo one has the VTD AWD.
The later(what year ?) 4/5 speed, are different again. Much more intergrated with the ECU, would be a lot harder to fit to the SVX. The 5 speed can have the Vehicle Dynamic Control fitted, this seems to be an option.

How to tell which it is? Look to see if it has the band adjuster, check the rear extension housing, the Vtd is longer than the Transfer mod.

All that said, the gear box that we have in the Australian SVX is the best of all. It doesn't have the flakey lining problem, it doesn't have the AWD problems, it doesn't have the front diff breakage problems. It does have the Varied Torque Diff, and 3.7:1 ratios(that reduce the heat problems) All it needs is servicing, oil, pick-up screen cleaned, band adjusted, every 100k.

This is the car that Fuji designed it to be. Not altered to suit a market.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
snip>
I believe that these sensors also produce different signals. On a JDM SVX, the signal wire branches out to the TCU, ECU, Speedo, and several other systems. On a UK SVX, the speed signal goes directly to the TCU and then comes out on another pin and branches to the ECU, Speedo and other systems. The service manual hints that the signal is modified in some way by the TCU.

<snip.
Thats interesting Phil, the speed sensors are a magnetic pick-up, and this type of signal is very prone to interferance and deterioration. Shielded or twisted wires are used on most Subarus. Most cars now use the Hall effect pick-up to prevent this trouble. So maybe they decided to run the sine wave signal to the TCU to change it to a square wave, before sending it out again.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.