Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Hummer H3

I know this isn't really a group of SUV guys, but I read about the H3 and it looks like hummer finally built something that does what it is suposed to, a less flashey than the H2, with good off road manners, anyone here seen one?
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hummers

Hi Napa, One of the Hummers Was rated by some one as the worst in initial quality of all venicles sold in the US in '05. Plus its made by gm and its a SUV. How bad is that? Take care, BOBB
Old 08-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
The pick-up concept was pretty cool-lookin, and the finished product seems to be shorter than the H2. That latter fact alone makes me happy.

Though I really don't care because I'll never own one, nor will anyone I know.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:43 PM
SVXtra

I think the H3 is great except for the fact its five cylinder engine is under powered. And the overall reliability of the H2 has improved greatly in the last year.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
I think the H3 is great except for the fact its five cylinder engine is under powered.
Even better.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Good morning!

I figure that the 6 cylinder engine would be availible next year, it would be sweet to see it offered as a diesel, it seems hummer has gotten off their bum to build a good vehicle, maby I'll go look at them next week...
Old 08-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
I figure that the 6 cylinder engine would be availible next year, it would be sweet to see it offered as a diesel, it seems hummer has gotten off their bum to build a good vehicle, maby I'll go look at them next week...
From my understanding dumb idiots at GM designed it so the 6 didn't fit into the platform (same as the cayon pu). As for the h2 it is nothing more than a glorified Suburban with not nearly as much room, lots more weight and beefy tow hooks so a H1 can pull it out of trouble. I've driven maybe 10 different ones back at MAA and honestly it can't hold water against a stock Wrangler off road. Sure the original hummer is a decent vehicle but it would never fit on most eastern jeep trails plus the army never showed the pictures of them sinking in the Somolian sand back in the early 90s.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Good morning!

Thats a real bummer on the engine. I totally agree on the H-two ---number keys dead--- and thought hummer was a lost cause, but time will tell. It sounds like there might be a V-eight in the plans, but that's not what I wanted
Old 08-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb
Hi Napa, One of the Hummers Was rated by some one as the worst in initial quality of all venicles sold in the US in '05.
In the JD Power Initial Quality rankings for 2004, Hummer was dead last (right behind VW and Mazda) out of 37 vehicles. For 2005, they made a drastic improvement, and came in at 12th (right behind Toyota at 11). To say they put some thought into quality is a severe understatement.

Quote:
Plus its made by gm and its a SUV. How bad is that? Take care, BOBB
Funny you put it that way, because your first statement made it sound like you were trying to warn him of poor quality, but then you say this, and contradict yourself. Not sure what I mean? GM has now and has almost always had the highest quality SUV lineup out there. Don't believe me? Search for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
From my understanding dumb idiots at GM designed it so the 6 didn't fit into the platform (same as the cayon pu).
The 3.5L I5 fits the exact same mounts that the 4.2L I6 fits. The H3 uses the exact same platform as the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon. For the Colorado, the 4.2L will be available in Z-suspension upgrade models starting for the 2006 model year, and in spring of 2006, the Colorado SS (packing the 390hp version of the LS2) will debut, showing that yes you can fit a V8 under that hood. The GMC Canyon Denali will likely carry the 5.3L Alum motor (LS4) as a GMC counterpart for 2006. All that being the case, i'd say it won't be long before you see the LS4 under the hood of the H3. Finally then we'll see a Hummer that's not underpowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
As for the h2 it is nothing more than a glorified Suburban with not nearly as much room, lots more weight and beefy tow hooks so a H1 can pull it out of trouble. I've driven maybe 10 different ones back at MAA and honestly it can't hold water against a stock Wrangler off road.
Yeah, i'm going to have to go ahead and sorta disagree with ya there, bob. I am by no means an H2 fan, however i'd say based on my experience with both vehicles off road, i'd definetly take the H2 in extreme situations. The Wrangler is more spry, however the H2 has the torque, running gear, and ground clearance to handle tough situations, whereas the Wrangler is too light with much smaller tires.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:25 AM
SVX Appeal

An H2 is to a Humvee, what a Honda with a body kit is to a Ferrari. It's got great packaging and a few improvements here and there, but it's never going to be in the same class. In the world of off-road, size matters. Large vehicles usually get spanked by anything smaller. Though definitely smaller than a Humvee, Hummer, or H2, the H3 is still pretty large and it just doesn't have the fantastic approach and departure angles that a Jeep or Hummer has. It's turning radius is pretty good (about 37ft,) but it's not as good as the much larger Hummer (about 26ft,) and only as good as the worst of the Wranglers. Sure, it's probably pretty good at racing across sand dunes, but anything technical is going to be a problem. I think an optional rear and center locking differential is available, which is actually worth a lot off-road, but still inferior to the Torsens available in the original Hummer and doesn't make up for low clearances. Actually using the locking differentials will kill the turning radius in the H3. A Jeep won't even need them because of the excellent suspension articulation, which I'm pretty sure the H3 doesn't have. The Humvee doesn't have great articulation either, but with the much more expensive Torsen differentials, it can get away with it.

I would definitely admit that any of the Hummer series vehicles are better off-road than most SUVs, but that's in light of how obviously pathetic most SUVs are when put to the test. Size is always a factor, and sometimes large vehicles have an advantage. That circumstance is far, far less frequent than when small vehicles have an advantage. Discounting size as a factor, the rest of the time it's a matter of proportion. All the Hummers, from the military Humvee to the H3 have a serious problem with their proportions. Proportionately speaking, the old Subaru Loyale station wagons have pretty much the same clearances as a Humvee, which makes them equals in that respect, but in the end their smaller size gives them a huge advantage.

Luxurious commuter vehicle? H2. Competent off-road machine? Subaru Brat. I think I'd rather have an Escalade over an H2, since I'd never take either off-road. Of course, I'd rather have a Subaru, or Audi, or Volvo, or frontal lobotomy, or a lot of other things over an SUV. ...but that's just me. Regardless, production vehicles touted as competent 4x4s is kind of a joke. Of all things, CRVs and Samurais are probably some of the best, second to small Jeeps and old Subarus.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Donate to the mod fund

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueSVX
hmm great another Hummer! Just what we need. I'm sorry, but I really hate the H2s. At least the H1 was actually built for a purpose, and it had the cool factor. The H2 is just a wanna-be Hummer, another fat SUV we don't need on the roads and that 99.9% of which will never go offroad. All the H2's I seen have raw furry 20" rims and expensive paintjobs. I hope the same doesn't apply to the H3, but I bet it will. Just my opinion.

Now part of the DSM crowd: 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Old 08-08-2005, 04:15 AM
SVX Appeal

Unimog.
Hummer.
Unimog.
Hummer.

Hummers are cute, but Mogs are macho.

Which vehicle do you think can probably drive over the other?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:05 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248

The 3.5L I5 fits the exact same mounts that the 4.2L I6 fits. The H3 uses the exact same platform as the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon. For the Colorado, the 4.2L will be available in Z-suspension upgrade models starting for the 2006 model year, and in spring of 2006, the Colorado SS (packing the 390hp version of the LS2) will debut, showing that yes you can fit a V8 under that hood. The GMC Canyon Denali will likely carry the 5.3L Alum motor (LS4) as a GMC counterpart for 2006. All that being the case, i'd say it won't be long before you see the LS4 under the hood of the H3. Finally then we'll see a Hummer that's not underpowered.

Yeah, i'm going to have to go ahead and sorta disagree with ya there, bob. I am by no means an H2 fan, however i'd say based on my experience with both vehicles off road, i'd definetly take the H2 in extreme situations. The Wrangler is more spry, however the H2 has the torque, running gear, and ground clearance to handle tough situations, whereas the Wrangler is too light with much smaller tires.
Just going by what GM said why they used the I5. It was something about hood clearance or something stupid like that.

You can disagree all you want. I know you're wrong. Lets take clearance as an example. It actually has less than a Wrangler when wheelbase and width is taken into acount plus due to its size it needs more clearance so it doesn't beach itself. Torque yes, running gear no. I wouldn't trust it for going to the store let alone in 2 feet of snow. The best part about the jeep is the well $30k you'd save by not looking like a fat pig who can't get a hummer elsewhere so they need to buy one.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:16 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
The Best STOCK 4X4 ?

which one you think is the best STOCK 4X4 available for Off-Road use?? note that i am inquiring about a non modified 4X4...

Over here Lada Niva's are the most reputed, then comes Suzuki Samurai's then Wranglers and the old Range Rovers...
(the wranglers have issues in their manual gearboxes...)

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Bipa

Gotta agree with UberRoo - Unimog!

I like red

(and no, that isn't me and hubby, just a promo pic from Mercedes)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: