How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Superbeast

Ps2 V2

Christ it's tiny!!!! I almost felt ripped off when I finnaly pulled it out of the box. It makes the old one look like a damn VHS player.

I had to run out and buy it the other day becouse the old one was refusing to play most DVD's and some games too.

Has anyone had this problem with there PS2? Would it be worth my time and effort to get it repaired or would the cost exceed just buying a new one?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Hater

i bought mine the day they came out and no problems.

i wouldn't bother repairing one, though.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Every body almost has had a reading problem with thier PS2 so much that sony lists somewhere on thier site that for $40 dollars you can send it in and they will repair it (basically they replace the lens and motor parts) and send it back. also some of the first ones were eating grooves into disks. If you have a Slackers near you they also repair PS2s for a nominal price. All providing youve never opened the case.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 07-22-2005, 10:35 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Do the games boot up and then freeze or do they not boot at all?

If it's too expensive to have it fixed, I might concider buying the broken one off you. I run most of my games off of a hard drive, so I just need it to be able to boot up. My roomate volunteered my PS2 for the room next year, because he broke his....

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-22-2005, 11:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I had to replace the laser in mine a couple years ago. It's been fine since, but admittedly my XBox gets way more use. Damned Halo 2.

I bought a PSP recently. Not a lot of great games out for it quite yet (many to look forward to in the near future), but an impressive little machine nonetheless.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
I bought a PSP recently. Not a lot of great games out for it quite yet (many to look forward to in the near future), but an impressive little machine nonetheless.

wasn't GTA supposed to be out for teh PSP on the 21st? what is today?.....crap, i'd better get to the store soon......

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-23-2005, 04:39 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
Christ it's tiny!!!! I almost felt ripped off when I finnaly pulled it out of the box. It makes the old one look like a damn VHS player.

I had to run out and buy it the other day becouse the old one was refusing to play most DVD's and some games too.

Has anyone had this problem with there PS2? Would it be worth my time and effort to get it repaired or would the cost exceed just buying a new one?
I bought one a few months ago and I was shocked as well. The only gripes I have about it is that it gets hot as hell. The flip top's kinda cool and it's great that the network adapter is built in.

What blows is the fact that it'll only support a 2GB harddrive i believe...or was it 4GB? Can't remember.

Since it's so small, I bought a kick ass 8" TFT LCD accessory from Hong Kong that attaches to the PS2 V2 and runs off the same power adapter as the PS2. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and post it. It's badass. You can stick it in you car or play games or dvd's at work. The screen can shift position and has a swivel on it. Folds right on top of the PS2 V2 and looks like it's a part of the system. Also has outlets so that you can put a cable out to the TV if you wanted.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:25 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Same problem here

Ahhh, the all infamous Disc Read Error. There are many possibilities to the root of this problem in, the most common is displayed here as well as the solution to it. I have gone through that problem multiple times in fact and fixed it in that fashion.

However after a while what started out as discs not being able to auto start escalated to the point where CDs, DVDs and some PS2 DVDs could not be read at all. I found out that this could be caused by a voltage problem where the disc drive doesn't spin the CD and/or DVD fast enough. The way to potentially remedy this problem can be found here, however like the faq states trying to fix this problem doesn't come without risks that can probably permanently damage the PS2.

As for what I did with my 1st gen PS2, well like you I ended up buying a V2 since when stopped reading virtually anything all together was the day I bought Gran Turismo 4 as well as just the usual being fed up with the constant maintenance. However, I didn't throw away the other PS2 since I made a deal to fix it with one of my friends and give it to him. Perhaps you can do somewhat of the same, but instead you would probably rather sell it or something.

Also, LandShark there is no GTA out right now for the PSP. Rockstar said it probably won't be out until August and now with that whole "Hot Coffee" tweak exposed, it might be delayed even more.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Superbeast

The onlt games I had lock up problems with was GTAIII and NFS HP would get a little choppy whe nthe action got intense. But the problem I had lately was the disk read error. For $50 I would just get the old one repaired, I need one for my kids room so they can play there games in there and I can play mine out here. I will have to investigate the repaire options, thanks.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-23-2005, 12:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
If you're set on getting a PSTWO, go for the V13 models. The V12's still have laser problems, especially if you use a modchip that's likely to provoke mechacon crashes.

If I were in the market for another PS2, I'd go for an older version, likely another V7. They're likely to be cheaper, the laser is very durable and you can get replacements for a reasonable price. The other big plus is that the PS2's directly support IDE harddrives. My laser only gets used when I need to copy a new game to the HD. Any other time, I just boot to HDLoader in DEV2 and run right off the HD. You can use USB HDs with the PSTWO, but it's just about as slow as reading off the original game discs, plus I don't think they support DEV2.

KuoH
Old 07-23-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
If you're set on getting a PSTWO, go for the V13 models. The V12's still have laser problems, especially if you use a modchip that's likely to provoke mechacon crashes.

If I were in the market for another PS2, I'd go for an older version, likely another V7. They're likely to be cheaper, the laser is very durable and you can get replacements for a reasonable price. The other big plus is that the PS2's directly support IDE harddrives. My laser only gets used when I need to copy a new game to the HD. Any other time, I just boot to HDLoader in DEV2 and run right off the HD. You can use USB HDs with the PSTWO, but it's just about as slow as reading off the original game discs, plus I don't think they support DEV2.

KuoH
how do you tell if it's a v12 or v13?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitob
Ahhh, the all infamous Disc Read Error. There are many possibilities to the root of this problem in, the most common is displayed here as well as the solution to it. I have gone through that problem multiple times in fact and fixed it in that fashion.

However after a while what started out as discs not being able to auto start escalated to the point where CDs, DVDs and some PS2 DVDs could not be read at all. I found out that this could be caused by a voltage problem where the disc drive doesn't spin the CD and/or DVD fast enough. The way to potentially remedy this problem can be found here, however like the faq states trying to fix this problem doesn't come without risks that can probably permanently damage the PS2.

As for what I did with my 1st gen PS2, well like you I ended up buying a V2 since when stopped reading virtually anything all together was the day I bought Gran Turismo 4 as well as just the usual being fed up with the constant maintenance. However, I didn't throw away the other PS2 since I made a deal to fix it with one of my friends and give it to him. Perhaps you can do somewhat of the same, but instead you would probably rather sell it or something.

Also, LandShark there is no GTA out right now for the PSP. Rockstar said it probably won't be out until August and now with that whole "Hot Coffee" tweak exposed, it might be delayed even more.
wasn't there a recall for repair to fix this problem or was it a rumor only?
Old 07-23-2005, 01:56 PM

V13 If yours is slim and doesn't look like this, then you have a V12.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
how do you tell if it's a v12 or v13?
Old 07-23-2005, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
V13 If yours is slim and doesn't look like this, then you have a V12.

KuoH
i got a v13....i hear the laser isn't that good in it.. <shrug> mine works fine so far...2 months or so old...maybe 3
Old 07-23-2005, 06:06 PM

No it's not much better, but Sony made some changes to the driver circuitry to reduce the chances of the coils burning out. Or at least that's the hypothesis, though there is no official word from Sony. Anyway, this and the lack of an IDE port are part o the the reasons I'd get a used PS2 that needs work over a new PSTWO.

KuoH

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: