Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-29-2005, 05:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
Exhaust question, and Shift Kit question help.

On my drivers side, on the exhaust right off the headers there is this resonator/cad-converter/what ever. I am trying to figure out what it is exactly, b/c I thought from searchs that it was a resonator, Midas says it comes up as a converter. If it IS the converter, can I cut them out instead of replacing them? Glasspacks maybe? I don't want to lose any power at all. but I want to fix my exhaust rattle for the cheapest possible.

Also, I installed the shift kit from smallcar this weekend, and was hoping to find the power light blinking problem to stop. It didnt. But it shifts nice and firm. what gives with the blinking power light?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to freak customs Send a message via AIM to freak customs
you can remove the cataletic converter... most of us (with aftermarket exhaust) only use one cat.

as far as your power light... the code is already set so you already have the problem (the shift kit won't magically fix something that's broken). to get rid of the blinking power light you can reset the computer. i usually disconnect my battery overnight to do that. however it may come back if there is actually a problem with your transmission.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Can you confirm that you are getting error 11 from the TCU?

The shift kit won't help if your OEM resistor is fried.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
Resistor

Well I never had a Power light blink before I unplugged the resistor the first time around a month ago. I'll try undoing the battery trick in a couple days.
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:11 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan
On my drivers side, on the exhaust right off the headers there is this resonator/cad-converter/what ever. I am trying to figure out what it is exactly, b/c I thought from searchs that it was a resonator, Midas says it comes up as a converter. If it IS the converter, can I cut them out instead of replacing them? Glasspacks maybe? I don't want to lose any power at all. but I want to fix my exhaust rattle for the cheapest possible.

Also, I installed the shift kit from smallcar this weekend, and was hoping to find the power light blinking problem to stop. It didnt. But it shifts nice and firm. what gives with the blinking power light?
What you are describing sounds like a pre-cat, not the main catalytic converter. There are two pre-cats, one right off of each header. These continue down and join at the main catalytic converter. This main one is much larger than the pre-cats. It may not be cat itself but a heat shield that encases it. See if you can find exactly where the rattle is. You may be able to have your exaust guy tack weld the shield to stop the rattle or you could just remove the shielding all together (personally not recommended).

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.