SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Question replacing rotors/pads

i'm about to get some drilled/slotted rotors off ebay for the front of my svx.also gonna get the kevlar pads. how hard is it to change the rotors on this thing?just wanna make sure i'm not gonna need anything special or run into any bumps.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Price Check

Before you buy your brake bundle off Ebay, give Ben a call at Raceconcepts. Tel (714) 894-3581 He made us a deal on here that included slott/drilled front/rears, braided lines, Axxis M/M pads and even quart of fluid for $339. He has honored the same price very recently to two other members.

Do a search on here to see what members have said about his product. I have only seen good remarks.

Be sure and tell him you are on the network here.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
Before you buy your brake bundle off Ebay, give Ben a call at Raceconcepts. Tel (714) 894-3581 He made us a deal on here that included slott/drilled front/rears, braided lines, Axxis M/M pads and even quart of fluid for $339. He has honored the same price very recently to two other members.

Do a search on here to see what members have said about his product. I have only seen good remarks.

Lee
i got a good deal off ebay. only paid 85 bucks for the fronts and 25 for the pads. just got new rotors and pads in the back so i'll go high perf. when those wear out and i have a little more money. i still need to know if this is easy or not. someone let me know.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I changed all four rotors and switched to new PBR semi metallic pads earlier this year. Got the complete kit along with some high temp brake fluid from Ben at RaceConcepts for $287 shipped.

The job itself is still fresh in my mind and took me about 4 hours - I had no power tools and only two jack stands. It was quite straight forward and I had no real issues.

-The caliper brackets can be a pain to remove but using a rubber mallet I was able to loosen them relatively easily.

-Remember to have the parking bake down when doing the rear rotors or they won't come off!

-As the new rotors and pads will be thicker than the ones coming off your car, you'll need to slightly loosen the 10mm cap at the top of each caliper and push down on the caliper pistons to increase the inside clearance a little. Don't loosen the cap too much or air will get into the system. Also, unscrew the brake fluid reservoir cap in the engine bay and make sure in doesn't overflow after pushing in the pistons on all four calipers.

-Finally, double and triple check your work at the end to be certain that everything is torqued down nicely. Your braking system can be your last 'touch' with reality.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

A couple pics...

...of the slotted rotors I got from Ben at RaceConcepts:

Rear slotted rotor in box

Front slotted rotor installed

-Chike

P.S. One more pic taken this weekend!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 05-03-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Cool

nice looking rotors. i prefer the drilled /slotted more though and for 140 total off ebay for kevlar pads and all i'm not complaining. plus, i don't really have more than that to spend right now and my rear rotors and pads are new anyway.glad to hear it won't be one of those cussing and screaming days in the driveway to do this. my trans am could really put up a fight sometimes when it came to brake jobs. i'll make sure i let you guys know how it goes on this thread when i do the install in about 2 weeks.sent out the money today so should have brakes in 7-10 days.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:48 AM
magickfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77

Lee
Wish i'd known this before i got them off Ebay. I only ended up paying $380 for all of the above(minus the quart of fluid) so i guess i didn't get burned too badly. Now i just have to wait for the pads that are on it to wear out. They're almost new so i couldn't see just pulling them off and throwing them away. marc