How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Chetburger

Prospective SVX buyer

Need a car. I need AWD. WRX goes back to dealer off the lease in August and I must procure daily transportation by then. Looking at SVXs and 90 CS Quattros.

Its not easy however. Not many of these cars are around and lot need extra attention from suspect prior care. I have no interest in buying someone elses neglect.

I found one on Autotrader very close to me. Price seems $2000 high, but the car itself looks well maintained:

1996 Subaru SVX LSi 120,000 miles

I need a car that will get me 6yrs and 75,000 miles from the time I get it. I realize the massive tranny problems and subsequent workarounds. Im thinking the car above is a $6000 car, $6300 at most. With those miles the car better be watertight or I wouldnt be interested.

If anyone has any comments on the above car, or leads on a SVX in the Ohio area, let me know. I prefer a car with under 100,000 miles, with an interior well above average in terms of care, AWD versions only, and LSLs or LSis preferred. Spoiler preferred but not necessary. A few scratches and door dings dont bother. Some maintenance records especially related to oil cooler issues and the tranny are important. Most important is car thats been well cared for and runs like a top.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Yeah, I've got $20 burning a hole in my pocket and I'm looking to buy a South African diamond mine.

It doesn't matter how old a car is, you need to figure that most used cars are sold when they need $1000 or more in repairs to make them close to 'right' (no matter what make or model.) That's the safest bet.

Hmmm...Quattro or SVX... interesting. Which one has higher maintenance costs? I had two Audis years ago and no matter how inconsequential a part was it seems the dealer pricing always started at $82. Seriously. Tie rod end = $82, sunroof cable = $ 82, rubber radiator mounts = you guessed it, $82... ad infinitum.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:55 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Yea, and the svx has one of those but it's $500!

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-01-2005, 08:31 PM
fl_svx

Well, here's the thing. If this car is as advertised, with all the records, one owner, no accidents..yaddi yaddi...I would think the price is a fair one. I mean I found a 95 with 72K on her. She needed a power steering pump and tires and a left wheel bearing....I got her for $2200.00 OTD. I have no maintenance records and she was in a rear ender, but nothing serious. With the upgrades and required fixes I am out of pocket $3300.00. She needs paint for me to be happy, so probably another $2000.00, I am then up to $5,300.00. Especially for a Subaru, if properly maintained, they are essentially bullet-proof engine-wise, so mileage should not be an issue. When you consider that particular car retailed for $36K nine years ago, the asking price seems like a bargain. My guess, if she checks out as stated and you drive her, you'll pay the price cause you'll be hooked. SVX's are funny that way. They grab you by the throat like a doberman and won't let go. I searched 2 years for mine.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:57 PM
antidisestablishmentarian

Send a message via AIM to Rd96SVX Send a message via MSN to Rd96SVX
Whew

I have to say, KEEP LOOKING, I just got a 96 LSi with 170000 miles.. I know , it's high, but still, I only paid 2450. How sweet is that!!!! Other than the mileage and needing a bearing or two.. THAT my friend, is a deal.. May you find one as well.
Oh , and Beav. Did I mention that I live in the same city as you, huh, cool. and uh, did I mention that perhaps, I might need a bit of help with those afore mentioned bearings.. you up to it? Meet a new fellow SVXer?
Old 05-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Chetburger

Another one I found within a couple hours driving distance is this one:

1992 SVX LSL $3995

Price compared to mileage certainly attractive. You can see major paint gouging on the front bumper. At this price, it leads me to believe something it wrong. Perhaps just the skeptic in me. These small time used car lots dont know a darn thing about most of the cars they sell. Maybe thats a good thing in terms of negotiating, but it also means they cant give you any assurance in what you are buying either.

I emailed these folks since it was the weekend. We'll see if they get back in touch with me. My guess is they will not. Ive noticed that with so many Autotrader and newspaper ads. Its next to impossible to get a hold of someone selling their own car. Almost as if they dont want to bother. Its uncanny.

Anyway, Im not going to pay anywhere near $8000. That completely out of the question. Its going to come down to which SVX or 90 CS Quattro I can find closest to $5000 thats in the best shape and has the fewest issues. I have too many projects with other cars and I really need to draw the line somewhere. I prefer the SVX because I want an auto for the daily grind. Never owned an automatic car in my life, but to get to work, I can live with it now in my life. I like the accoutrements on the SVX too. Heavy car. Aint fast, but looks sporty and Im used to Suby AWD. OK the windows are cool.

Reminds me of a poor mans SC300 with more character and AWD.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Hater

mine's for sale in a week or so.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
mine's for sale in a week or so.
Yes, Alan's making room for a new sk8board.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
Yes, Alan's making room for a new sk8board.
i'm going with a scooter, actually.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-02-2005, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetburger
Another one I found within a couple hours driving distance is this one:

1992 SVX LSL $3995

Price compared to mileage certainly attractive. You can see major paint gouging on the front bumper. At this price, it leads me to believe something it wrong.
I paid about $500 less than that 18 months ago for a '92 LSL (rust-free Sunbelt car, no collision repair, average finish, excellent interior, new tires/brakes/alternator) with under 105,000 miles, but she needed a radiator, wheel bearings, hoses... typical stuff for a car of its vintage. I've also had the front seals, timing belt and water pump replaced as scheduled maintenance, and I replaced the CD player and power antenna. The only outright mechanical failure I've experienced in some 20,000 miles is the crank pulley.

So yes, I agree: At that price, you're liable to be spending more in short order. But if it's a solid car, it may be worthy of consideration. Any '90s model car you buy is going to need something before long.

dcb
Old 05-02-2005, 12:43 PM
antidisestablishmentarian

Send a message via AIM to Rd96SVX Send a message via MSN to Rd96SVX
92 claret LSi, 79,400 miles, $4800 here in Ashland Ky..

Hey, I found this about 150 miles from louisville, don't know how far you are willing to go, but this looks like a very promising vehicle to me. 92 Claret LSi, Ashland KY
Old 05-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Chetburger

yeah I saw that one. cant say much for the color, but perhaps ill give them a call.

i called my local subaru dealer back today who happens to move quite a few subarus. i called him last week to see if they had any leads or customers looking to sell their svx. he said hes never seen one at the dealer in 5yrs, not even for service.

not especially confidence building.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I paid $8000 for my 92 at the end of 02. The most costly repair was from an accident that wasn't my fault.
Second being the transmission because I didn't take care of it.

Stick with us though, because if you get an SVX the gurus on this forum can make your life much easier.

The inherant problems with the transmission, speed, whatever else you are concerned about can be fixed easily and cheaply.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Chetburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd96SVX
Hey, I found this about 150 miles from louisville, don't know how far you are willing to go, but this looks like a very promising vehicle to me. 92 Claret LSi, Ashland KY
Sold. Bummer.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetburger
Sold. Bummer.
I would suggest you go for the later model, later that 94. Early models with low mileage, may still have a faulty transmission in it.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.