SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet

Old 04-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Reading SIX: Hotel comments

Now that Reading Six is over, it would be nice to have comments from those there about what they liked and didn't like about being back at Morgantown.

Although they had renovated, there are some issues that came up concerning the bar availability, restaurant issues and some housekeeping concerns. I am sure I will be getting a call from Morgantown or a survey to rate them on our stay.

They have been under new ownership and management for about six months. If we can address any issues we have, Reading VII may be all the better for it. Some people still prefer the denver Holiday Inn (Reading III, IV and V). Of course, as long as it is in Morgantown,There is the possibility of another hotel chain...

Anyway, post your feelings and observations in this thread so that they can be communicated to management.

Here is my list:

Bar: Used to be open until at least 1:00AM. Now it is at the discretion of the bartender. If she isn't busy, she closes or stays open if there are patrons, but usually not after midnight. Plus the large, comfortable, plush seating around the tables is no longer there.

Restaurant: You should always have the option of picking from their breakfast menu or opt for the breakfast buffet. (Personally, I just wanted a couple of over-easy eggs and some toast on Saturday) Light eaters shouldn't have to pay the higher all-you-can-eat pricing. Some people were told it was breakfast buffet only and some were told they could order off the menu.

On the positive side, the parking lot is still the best for our needs and the built-in drag strip is just a bonus.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-11-2005, 12:56 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
yeah i like their stand on using the side lot for drag racing...
the bar didn't affect me... or most of us that were really drinking as we BYOB'd the booze
the rooms were nice, large, and the wireless internet was a plus
i was disapointed in the fact that they had HBO instead of showtime (denver had showtime)
a publicly available microwave or a small one in the rooms would be a HUGE bonus
parking was great, and still being able to hang out and drink in the parking lot hassle free was good.

honestly i liked this one better than denver, although no mini mart was a downer
and mcdonalds is worthless after normal closing...
Old 04-11-2005, 11:11 PM

Having not been to the other hotel my impressions of the Morgantown set are as follows:

The bar closing early is mostly a non-issue, as most did the BYOB thing and no one was given any greif over drinking in the parking lot.

The breakfast thing wasn't a problem for me and mine as we didn't try to have any at the hotel, but if we had, would probably have ordered room service anyway, thereby being able to order off the menu without problem.

We didn't have any problems with the housekeeping, but were aware of some minor problems others had. These issuse seemed to be resolved easily, even if it took a trip to the front desk to do it.

Not being hassled about the runs being done across the back of the parking lot was nice, and the few complaints that there were, IMO stemed from others not even involved with the meet being stupid for the most part, such as the pick-up truck Fri night, kid with the geo Sat night, etc....

The only thing that would have been better is if the groups of kids that were there for both a sweet 16 party and a dance of some sort weren't there, but this isn't a hotle issue, just a "luck of the draw" issue. Oh, and the fact there weren't any statues for Jessie to ride
Old 04-12-2005, 03:28 PM

Registered SVX
My Opinion.....

The pluses are:

The Bar (which I didn't use)
The Pool (ditto)
The built-in dragstrip

The minuses:

No fridges in the rooms
No Internet access unless you brought your own laptop
Limited dining access (breakfast only till 10:00, no lunch)

I personally liked the other motel for the fact that we could open the windows and take pictures from there. And the seating area outside the front door was cozy. All in all, I thought the other hotel was more "intimate."

(Not to mention the elephant.)

Just my $.02.

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 04-12-2005, 05:15 PM

Diana,
Actually some of the rooms had fridges (we had one in our room) and iirc you could have one sent up for $10 a day if the room didn't have one.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Superbeast

I liked the new/ old place.

Our room was sweet (got a fridge)

Room service rocks (cuties that brought breakfast)

Guests (goth chicks that got down on their nees in front of me)

Awsome parking lot (that damn tempting 1/4 mile)

But no statues (we'll work on that)

Overall I give it a
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:26 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I agree with Diana that last year's hotel was a lot more cozy and intimate.

I am one of those with problems with housekeeping this year. They came a knocking at 8:30 Saturday morning and were politely (especially since they woke us up) told we were not ready for them. After that they never came back even though we were out of the room. Never got fresh towels and wash cloths. Never got fresh coffee for the coffee maker (my biggest gripe). I went to the desk Sunday morning and asked what housekeeping was to have replaced during their visit the previous day. When I informed them that we never got fresh towels I merely got an "oh?" I then asked about the coffee and they just stared at me stupidly then asked what I want them to do about it. Then he asked if I would like some coffee. The mustachioed gal at the desk then asked if I wanted a voucher for a continental breakfast (donut) to which I politely declined. I got back to my room (4th floor, farthest corner) and brewed my coffee only to realise that we never got clean coffee mugs to replace the ones from before. I called the desk and asked them to send up some clean mugs. Several minutes later the gal from the desk shows up at the door with a couple styrofoam cups, says "here" as she puts them in my hand and turns and walks away. Not even an "I'm sorry for the inconvenience, sir" or nothing. In fact I don't recall them apologizing for anything when I went to the desk earlier. The service at this place blows. The lobby was full of unsupervised kids running around wet and screaming to and from the pool and tracking puddles of water into the elevators. It was like "Lord of the Flies" there.

On the plus side, the room itself was nice and the buttons on the TV remote were the most responsive that I ever used.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
But no statues (we'll work on that)
You did see the buggy didn't you???

I was commenting to someone that you'll probably end up in the buggy by the end of the night, the response was based on your experience earlier in the day stating "he'll probably blow the horse"
Old 04-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
You did see the buggy didn't you???

I was commenting to someone that you'll probably end up in the buggy by the end of the night, the response was based on your experience earlier in the day stating "he'll probably blow the horse"

Yeah....um...that dont sound right
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-13-2005, 12:33 AM
abrasive personality

oh yeah, the unopening windows sucked too

on another note this hotel seemed to have for the most part evaded the meet monster (only injury was jesse's motor [would've happened anyway 165shot nitrous]) no blown tranny's this year
Old 04-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Upside:
a) The room -- nice, fridge, couch, sitting area, spacious.
b) Parking lot -- large, nice pavement, no mobile homes or 18-wheelers, quarter mile run.
c) TRADITION! Home of the Reading I.
d) The company of fellow SVXers (okay, yes, that would be anywhere )

DOWNSIDE:
a) Housekeeping faux pas -- took my soap and shampoo and didn't replace it with new (okay, by next year I may not need shampoo, but you'll all be happier if I have soap).
b) The busloads of young'n's -- but, like Roto said, "luck of the draw."
c) No biscuits 'n' gravy (big bad MINUS for a southern boy) either on the menu or the buffet -- NOT EVEN AT MICKEY D'S -- how on God's green earth can an 'ALL-AMERICAN' restaurant like MD's NOT serve biscuits 'n' gravy, and yet, serve a "SAUSAGE BURRITO?" I MEAN GOOD GRIEF, THAT'S . . . . . okay, I'll settle down now.

Okay, this is a short list -- I like Morgantown cuz it was my "first" and as we all know, the first is always the best. All in all, the hotel don't mean "that" much to me. If it did, I'd choose one, say, a few miles from me instead of 13 hours away -- I barely even use the room, so, maybe next year, I'll just bring my tent and sleeping bag.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-13-2005, 10:56 AM
abrasive personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredubjay
Upside:
a) The room -- nice, fridge, couch, sitting area, spacious.
b) Parking lot -- large, nice pavement, no mobile homes or 18-wheelers, quarter mile run.
c) TRADITION! Home of the Reading I.
d) The company of fellow SVXers (okay, yes, that would be anywhere )

DOWNSIDE:
a) Housekeeping faux pas -- took my soap and shampoo and didn't replace it with new (okay, by next year I may not need shampoo, but you'll all be happier if I have soap).
b) The busloads of young'n's -- but, like Roto said, "luck of the draw."
c) No biscuits 'n' gravy (big bad MINUS for a southern boy) either on the menu or the buffet -- NOT EVEN AT MICKEY D'S -- how on God's green earth can an 'ALL-AMERICAN' restaurant like MD's NOT serve biscuits 'n' gravy, and yet, serve a "SAUSAGE BURRITO?" I MEAN GOOD GRIEF, THAT'S . . . . . okay, I'll settle down now.

Okay, this is a short list -- I like Morgantown cuz it was my "first" and as we all know, the first is always the best. All in all, the hotel don't mean "that" much to me. If it did, I'd choose one, say, a few miles from me instead of 13 hours away -- I barely even use the room, so, maybe next year, I'll just bring my tent and sleeping bag.
MC D's sells biscuits and gravy in the south? really? wow i'd be sooooooo FAT if they sold that here, i'm glad they don't

next year we can plan ahead for the deficiencies of the hotel... because i don't think that the denver holiday inn had biscuits and gravy either did it? if it had i think i would've got some...

i had an idea for next year's dinner however.... i think that instead of going out next year someone, either not traveling far, or someone with an abundance of cargo space, Chadd..., should bring a grill and we should have an old fashioned cookout/picknick...
Old 04-13-2005, 01:33 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadTW
...someone... should bring a grill and we should have an old fashioned cookout/picknick...
I agree with the cookout idea; someone actually mentioned that during the meet, although I don't remember who or when....

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 04-13-2005, 01:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_eyed_lady
I agree with the cookout idea; someone actually mentioned that during the meet, although I don't remember who or when....

It was me, at about your . . . . 4th bottle of Asti.
Subaru Ambassador

Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-13-2005, 01:38 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
Yeah....um...that dont sound right

R O T F L M A O
Subaru Ambassador