Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 07-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
sweet. I will do that. Thanks dave

Tom
Old 07-26-2005, 03:03 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i was in a time bined getting mine. gc said they could get them and after 2 weeks of waiting on them i when to sohi performance on ebay and they came through quick. 2 1/2 days to ak. i paid a little more than expected. 669 plus 48 shipping (cheaper than classic garage they were 669 plus 79 shipping). as gc priced me at 630 and shipping with the coil overs. about 100 cheaper that way. but i will install this weekend. is there a how to on this or should i make one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0168.JPG (176.8 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by KCROGUEDOG; 07-26-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:05 PM
KCROGUEDOG

what is good settings so i can pre set mine. earth said all the way and a turn back for fronts and what about the rears.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Maniac modifier

I am not looking for the coilovers. Mychailo is making me a nice set of custom springs. Classic garage is sending them 669 shipped and it will only take them a day or 2 to get here. I talked to Ann who was a pleasure to do business with and she told what I needed to do. I just need to wait for my money to clear and I will order them ASAP.

Tom
Old 07-26-2005, 04:23 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Tom how much is it going to cost for the springs ans struts? This might be my next project after my exhaust.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Maniac modifier

Struts-669 shipped
springs from Mychailo - 375+shipping

Tom
Old 07-26-2005, 05:44 PM
KCROGUEDOG

man i thought the rears were adjustable to but i guess not.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
They ARE adjustable. You must compress the strut completely then rotate the shaft in order to adjust them.

Adjustment Procedure 76, 80, 82, 86, 87, 88, 90, 8040, 8240 Series
http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm
Old 07-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
How to

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
... is there a how to on this or should i make one.
My post from an earlier thread:
If you're familiar with general strut type suspension work, removing the assembly from the car, using a spring compressor and handtools to dismantle the assembly, that is the starting point for the Koni install. Here's a step by step job description for an Impreza, basically the same job.
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sh...ight=suspension
some pics: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36 including a pass-through ratchet used to hold the strut shaft stationary while removing the top nut (easily spun off with an air wrench).

I found the hardest part to be deciphering the small illustrations with international symbology, since the inserts didn't come with written instructions. One begins with the original strut and new insert, measuring the distance from top of the strut body to the nubs on the Koni and marking the OEM body the amount matching that measurement on the "instruction" sheet. Unlike carpentry, measure 4 times, then again, cut once! The intent is to leave the body long enough that when the Koni is inserted and bolted down into it the nubs are pulled well inside, immobilizing the insert. I marked around the body numerous times, placed it in a vice and cut with a hacksaw, working around the body so as to cut evenly and not break through until well started all the way around. Once completely cut lift the old shaft/innards out, dump any oil still inside, debur the cut and clean out the now empty OEM body. The Koni's come with a rubber sleeve that fits around, and inside the cut edge tightly but allowing the insert to pass through. Appears to be a water seal.

Now carefully mark the center of the round bottom of the body and drill the specified size hole DEAD CENTER, again cleaning up all shavings, etc. You're now ready to insert the Koni. The supplied allen head bolt fits up through the drilled hole and should just contact and start into the threaded receptacle in the Koni, IF you measured and drilled accurately. As the bolt is tightened it pulls the insert down into the body until the nubs disappear and the insert bottoms out in the body. Reassemble the new strut into the spring, bumpstop, cone washer and tophat . Repeat 3 more times and they're ready to go back in the car!

My apologies for the semi-hijack of the thread guys, and please feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong here. I took most of a weekend and a 12pk of Bud to complete the job, but being an AARP member I may have forgotten some detail here.

Glenn O

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 07-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket
I took most of a weekend and a 12pk of Bud to complete the job, but being an AARP member I may have forgotten some detail here.

Glenn O
OMG! Randy and I are only 6 years from being old fogies!

Of course he'll get there first...
Old 07-26-2005, 08:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
i believe there is a how to for the stock strut/spring replacement however i haven't seen a write up of the koni/gc setup. I'd be interested in a koni/gc how to since i'll be doing this soon as well...Good luck!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:00 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
Struts-669 shipped
springs from Mychailo - 375+shipping

Tom
I lowered the price a few months ago. Now $375 shipped. :-)

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:39 AM
KCROGUEDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
They ARE adjustable. You must compress the strut completely then rotate the shaft in order to adjust them.

Adjustment Procedure 76, 80, 82, 86, 87, 88, 90, 8040, 8240 Series
http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm
earthworm did you tighten all the way then step off a turn with the rears to. where shall i set them i dont want to have to remove them again.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:41 AM
KCROGUEDOG

rojo ty for the info and stuff. yeah the gc koni how to would of been great but i guess im going with the stock how to for the most part.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
earthworm did you tighten all the way then step off a turn with the rears to. where shall i set them i dont want to have to remove them again.
Unfortunately when I installed mine I also wasn't aware the rears could be adjusted. If I ever have mine apart I'll adjust them properly. I don't notice any handling issues they way they are right now. The car is very neutral at limits and can be made to oversteer/understeer at will.