Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-23-2004, 09:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
There was absolutely no noise whatsoever..>I just replaced this engine with one from another member on the board and it only had 50,000 or so miles on it..Since the engine has been in i was only able to drive it maybe 2 months before the tranny blew and then another two months once the swap was complete...I've replaced everything on the car and have limited funds to keep dumping into the svx... I Really dont want to give it up though, i was really hoping someone would say this wasn't internal...
Old 10-24-2004, 12:06 PM

So what exactly would cause a 50xxx mile engine to do this???Could this be related to something i did when the tranny blew or did i just get screwed with the engine i bought and put in???
Old 10-24-2004, 01:06 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Assuming the problem is excessive lateral play of the crank shaft, I'm still wondering about the source of the noise. Is the flywheel hitting the engine case or the ring gear? Have you removed the flywheel to look for interference scratches?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:50 PM
maroon menace

you don't have the same thrust issues with an automatic transmission that you would have with a clutch. crank end play wouldn't show up as readily.
When you pull the flywheel can you see any marks on the block where anthing might be rubbing?
You can try pulling the spark plugs and turning the engine while pushing the crank all the way forward and see if you can find where it hits. Do it with the flywheel off and see if any noise or resistance is coming from inside of the block.
maximum serviceable run out should be about 0.010"
Old 10-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Not good news.

Sorry about the engine, the crankshaft thrust bearing faces have failed. These are part of the main bearings on that the crank runs in. No. 5 main bearing has flanges that control the crankshaft end float, It would appear that these faces have worn off. I would think that excess lateral force on the crank has caused the trouble.

Replacing the main bearings is the only fix, other than another engine.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:58 PM

The source of this noise is still a mystery to me.. I;ve checked everywhere and can find no scratches or wear marks on anything that would be getting contact...I originally thought maybe it was a bearing inside the tranny and the suby dealer probably just replaced it and said nothing was wrong, but I dont even want to bother trying to put it back in knowing the engine is supposedly toast...What happens if i drive it like this???Will the engine self-destruct??This isn't making sense at all. I dont see how this could have happend to the engine. People on nasioc are saying lack of oil is the only thing that normally causes this. Is this a true statement??If not what else causes this to fail, b/c like i said earlier this engine was only used for a few months total since its been in my possesion, and it supposedly had only 50xxx on it...Thanks for the help so far...
Old 10-25-2004, 04:25 PM
sans SVX

You're sure that there is 1/8" of lateral play in the crankshaft? You said before that you grabbed the crankshaft pulley and moved it back-and-forth. You should be able to do the same with the flywheel.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:36 PM

Yes, when the crankshaft pulley is pulled forward there is the same amount of play at the back of the engine. I have the flywheel off and i can watch the back of the crankshaft get pushed out aprox. 1/8in. Same when the crank is pushed back in from the back or pulled from the front. There is definitely play there though.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

What caused the end play?

I was thinking how this end play could have happened.

I reckond the only way this could have happened, without the unusual, would have been that.

At some time, this engine has had an auto box fitted to it, that did not have the lugs that drive the oil pump, in the box, aligned with the slots on the torque converter. The box was then tightened up to the back of the engine, pushing the torque converter forward, to load the crankhaft forward. As soon as the engine was started, the thrust flange on the main bearing was destroyed.

I seem to remember some body having this trouble, of not aligning the drive lugs when fitting the gearbox a while ago, and thinking that it would not do the oil pump a lot of good.

Anyone else remember this happening, Lee?

Harvey.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:59 PM

So basically this is just a freak coinicidence and the engine was bad the whole time I've had it? And right as the tranny blew the engine gave too? That is definitely how my luck would go...Man and i bet the odds of being able to replace this is extremely difficult for the first time diving into an engine huh? Anyone know of any good used engines preferrably in the south or in florida???
Old 10-25-2004, 05:35 PM
sans SVX

One other possibility is that the EG33 may not have been designed to withstand significant side-loads on the crankshaft from the clutch action. Beav brought up the possibility a while ago. I'm wondering if maybe the motor can handle a push-type load (Huck's motor holding up fine), but cannot handle a pull-type load. I know there are a number of people out there who have been using pull-type clutches for a while with no problems, but still, I wonder. Anyone have any experience in this area?

Visit my locker

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 10-25-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:29 PM
maroon menace

if the T/C wasn't lined up correctly it would have ruined the tranny oil pump as well as the thrust bearing and that would have been obvious right away.
May have been a poor build on the engine. not enough tolerance on the bearing reusults in lack of oil.. kablooee!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by maroon menace
if the T/C wasn't lined up correctly it would have ruined the tranny oil pump as well as the thrust bearing and that would have been obvious right away.
May have been a poor build on the engine. not enough tolerance on the bearing reusults in lack of oil.. kablooee!
Yes it probable did ruin the oil pump, at the same time, but he only bought the engine. Which may have been parted out because of the failure. Where did it come from, what is the history of it?

The crankshaft uses the same type of end float control as every other type that I know of. Normal flanges on both sides of the no.5 main bearing. Most of the force that the clutch throw out applies to the clutch when the engine is running is held by the gyroscopic effect of the flywheel to stay in the same place. This would have had to be a constant preload on the thrust flanges, to do the damage.

Harvey.

Ps. the No.5 main bearing could be changed, with the crank in place, has been done before.
PPs. Disregard the above Ps. I gooffed, Wrong engine to be able do this.

Last edited by oab_au; 10-25-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: What caused the end play?

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
I was thinking how this end play could have happened.

I reckond the only way this could have happened, without the unusual, would have been that.

At some time, this engine has had an auto box fitted to it, that did not have the lugs that drive the oil pump, in the box, aligned with the slots on the torque converter. The box was then tightened up to the back of the engine, pushing the torque converter forward, to load the crankhaft forward. As soon as the engine was started, the thrust flange on the main bearing was destroyed.

I seem to remember some body having this trouble, of not aligning the drive lugs when fitting the gearbox a while ago, and thinking that it would not do the oil pump a lot of good.

Anyone else remember this happening, Lee?

Harvey.
it wouldn't do that. In fact it would break and destroy the oil pump in the trans. i did it, i should know. anyway good luck trying to figure it out.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:26 AM

the engine is out of a wrecked car that only had 50xxx on the clock. It was never rebuilt and never gave me any sounds or problems or anything before the tranny went. Simply unbelievable how ****ty my luck is with this car....